TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I mentioned the Mack restraints as they seem like something that B&M could implement (read: copy!) without overhauling their rolling stock too drastically.

Yeah, I guess it's possible. But I don't know if they would still be able to sit 4 in a row without making the trains rather wide as those overhead lapbars take more space to the sides than B&M's restraints (even the vest ones).

Look how the riders' arms are almost touching compared to the room on the Mack trains.

1865710482_NPNMediaDay(6).thumb.jpg.35dec8b06f153b65ed7b71d2788d0aa6.jpg

^ Why Couldn't B&M just remove the vests and leave the restraints as is? Also, if they were concerned about having enough room they could go with the Diamondback style trains. For the right price, I'm sure they could design a train type that seats like Diamondback trains with the new restraints seen on the Wing Coasters/Banshee minus the vests. Of course if this does turn out to be a B&M launched coaster, it will be interesting to see how many trains with how many cars the ride will use.

^ Why Couldn't B&M just remove the vests and leave the restraints as is?

This is a good question, I think it probably speaks to an overall design philosophy of making the safest, most reliable rides possible. They would probably justify this by the fact that I don't believe they've ever had a single ejection incident. Either way I doubt we'll be seeing lapbar-only tains on any of their looping coasters any time soon.

^But they've been building hypers with lapbars for years without a single incident and, if you think about it, there are a lot more negative Gs on their hyper than on their looping rides (except for the ones with heartline rolls as they provide -1G) so if those restraints do the job, why wouldn't they be enough for their looping coasters?

^Someone once told me it was because of the risk of the ride stalling upside down. However, that has never ever happened to a B&M (and is extremely rare overall) and when a train full of riders on sirocco at walibi belgium got stuck in the loop the lapbars did their job well.

Could it have something to do with rider comfort, not wanting the rider to get whipped from side to side by their torso a la Skyrush? Not saying this is a concern of mine, just saying this could possibly be B&M's reasoning.

B&M will never cater to enthusiasts unfortunately, they never have other than revolutionizing the invert.

Take a look at the Mitch Hawker poll from 2013:

8. Shambhala

9. Nemesis

13. Leviathan

16. Montu

I mean, they may not have any in the top 5, but they still have 4 coasters in the top 20.

Also, with both Legend and Voyage, Holiday World actually went through the design process with the enthusiasts in mind. I'm sure this coaster won't be any different.

B&M will never cater to enthusiasts unfortunately, they never have other than revolutionizing the invert.

Well, IMO, it seems like they used to, ex. 90s/early 2000s B&M. Maybe it wasn't specifically to enthusiasts, but they certainly made much more intense, exciting ride. In recent years, it seems like they've "gone soft", focusing so much on "perfection" that their rides turn out forceless.

Maybe this is their comeback?

^^ I believe there was a survey given out at the Holiwood Nights event a few years ago asking for input on their next steel coaster. Speaking of coaster input, does anybody remember hearing about the "Secret Nine" who gave HW input on The Voyage during the design process? Wouldn't be surprised if we have another secret group again.

Take a look at the Mitch Hawker poll from 2013:

8. Shambhala

9. Nemesis

13. Leviathan

16. Montu

Only 4 in top 20 (two of which are from the 90's when they gave a f*** about g forces) isnt impressive for the 2nd largest and costliest manufacturer in the world. I see why parks build their rides but it's just frustrating how they don't seem to care anything about innovation any longer

Lets be honest, when has B&M ever really cared about being innovative? I really dont think they can give a flying phuck about what the community or any poll states. What they seem to care about is what their clients want. Coaster companies are the middle man so to speak...in my opinion. If parks stop buying their rides, they will have to conform but that doesn't seem to be happening. So, we can complain all day...if the parks keep buying, they will keep selling.

Andthe fact that the older kids are on the deck makes me think that this will indeed be a coaster with a higher height requirement!