TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^^I'm not sure if it does or not but it absolutely seems that way. Last year we went on a day where there were periods of sun and ten minutes later there could be a torrential downpour. From about 4PM to 6PM it was absolutely pouring (I don't think it's possible that it could have rained any harder) and because of that El Toro's line got down to about 15 minutes. We rode it 3 times in the rain and while it really hurt... it was absolutely amazing. I'll never forget those rides... I can't even explain how awesome they were. We also had out best rides ever on Rolling Thunder in the rain that day, but they still left a lot to be desired.

After that we took the Skyride over to Nitro and as soon as we got to the entrance there was a flash of lightning and the ride closed so we never got to ride that in the rain. We waited around for 3 more hours but the lightning never stopped so the tall rides never opened (they kept most of the low to the ground flats open as well as Skull Mountain and Dark Knight).

Basically if there's not lightning they'll keep the coasters open as long as the park isn't totally dead. Kingda Ka closes in a light drizzle (as it should) but as far as I know that's the only coaster that closes in the rain.

Honestly I don't think you'd want to ride Kingda Ka in any type of rain in any seat. Those El Toro rides were amazing but they really hurt, and on the third ride I could barely keep my eyes open. We both had red dots all over our face and hands (we had them up of course) after riding it. I couldn't imagine riding something that went 58 MPH faster in those conditions.

Edited by coasterbill

Honestly it is amazing going to GAdv on a rainy day. You might not be in the most comftorable condition but you get amazing rides with no waits.

I remember last year the only time I went to GAdv in the summer was on a rainy day in July. The forecast called for rain and my friends wanted to bail on it for the day. I had to convince them things would work out and that GAdv closes only for lightning. Sure enough when we got there the park was dead and I got some of my best rides on Toro and Nitro. Not to mention marathoning everything.

I think it was almost as fun bragging to my friends about me being right and proving my enthusiast knowledge as it was walking on to everything for rain rides. Also I would never ride Ka in any rain. It hurt enough getting hit by bugs on Millennium Force so I can't imagine rain on Ka or even Zumanjaro.

I'd never seen that story or video before but doesn't this line copied from the story kind of cover why writing a story in the first place or going to his house to film a news segment is a little stupid?

It hurt a lot for like three seconds.

I mean... that was it. He was fine, but it hurt for 3 seconds. The media is deplorable sometimes. They didn't come at this with an over-the-top, "Theme Parks are Dangerous" angle which I give them credit for I guess... but this wasn't ever a story.

Well I would argue that the park took it lightly, so why can't I? I say this because they didn't do anything to prevent this from happening again... what would you possibly do? It's a freak thing and luckily he was fine. Also, there's no way he heard a car alarm going off when he was on a coaster traveling at 128 MPH. I don't think he's lying or anything, I just think it was probably early in the launch when the ride wasn't anywhere near that speed (it's a really drawn out launch).

^I remember that story. Apparently though if the kid got hit at a different angle that would've killed him. I don't think you can take getting hit by a big bird on a 128 mph coaster that lightly.

Exactly. Couldn't agree more. It probably would have killed him being that it wasn't until the ending. (brakes)

Or messed up his face really bad. Im sure hitting something at 128 mph hurts a lot.

I can relate to the bird story since my mom got hit by a goose coming down the tower on Top Thrill Dragster, had a large bruise on her arm for a long time and that was only being hit by the wing. Anyways about the parachute tower, is there a possibility that they will be moving this to the new park in Dubai? In the concept art there is a parachute tower that looks to big to be the kid ones Intamin still makes. I would be upset if they did since its a very unique ride to the area and I try to ride it whenever we go down.

^ Intamin certainly knows how to get people naked lol.

One of my friends is going to SFGAd this October, I gave her all the info about the coasters and some flat rides like Sky Screamer, Parachute and Zoomanjaro. Any recommendation other than the safari and the rides listed above?

As cal1br3tto mentioned, Houdini's Great Escape is a must. It is one of only two Vekoma Mad Houses in the US, and it's disorienting and great fun. And... actually now that I think about it Great Adventure doesn't have terribly many flats. There's a Scrambler and Bumper Cars and a Ferris Wheel all in the same place if that's your thing, and a Top Spin (Twister). The Log Flume is a nice scenic ride and has some interesting history. Oh! If Skyrides count as flats, then they need to take the Skyride if it's open. Not only is it the best way to skip over the uninteresting middle section of the park, but it offers some incredible views of the park. Great photo opportunities.

There's still one that is at least standing at La Qua, but I'm not sure if it still operates or not.

It's still listed on their site as operating, I was tempted to visit when I went a few years ago just to actually have tried one but with rumors of Thunder Dolphin re-opening after I left (which thankfully came true) I never did visit to see for myself.

Oh! If Skyrides count as flats, then they need to take the Skyride if it's open. Not only is it the best way to skip over the uninteresting middle section of the park, but it offers some incredible views of the park. Great photo opportunities.

I agree with this also, the Skyride is also very historic as it operated at the 1964 World's Fair in Queens, NY and is the only operating double skyride in the U.S. (and maybe the world, does anyone know? I know there is one in Madrid that used to be a double sky ride but it now only runs one side). It's also a pretty long skyride.