TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm going to Six Flags Great Adventure for the first time and I know that it is supposed to rain. So what is Six Flags Great Adventure's rain policy. Will they keep most of the major rides open?

I know that Kingda Ka will be down for obvious reasons, but would anything else like El Toro, Nitro, Batman, Superman, or Bizarro be closed? Also, would Ka reopen later in a day where it rained once the rain has stopped.

I just figure that lines will be almost non-existant tomorrow due to the rain, but even if rides are closed, I'm also going on Thursday which looks to be beautiful.

Batman will close in the rain because riders can get the grease from the wheels on them. Rolling Thunder also goes down to 1 train operaions in the rain. If there is a thunderstorm all rides will close except maybe TDK even if the storm is a couple of miles away. That happened to me in 2008, it was sunny out after raining but lightning was a few miles away so the rides remained closed.

Thanks. I haven't seen a forecast where there is going to be a thunderstorm tomorrow. It just looks like it is going to rain until about 6-7 PM. Also, would Skull Mountain stay open in a thunderstorm like the Dark Knight would since that one is indoors as well?

Was there last week on Sunday and Monday. Sunday it was overcast and rained/drizzled on and off all day. Everything stayed open, including KK in the very light rain. Batman and Nitro both continued to run in slightly heavier rain. Skull Mountain and TDK were open as well... the only downside to TDK is that the wait outside for the pre-show in the rain was a little annoying, since the line crawls.

Monday is was hot and mostly sunny, but for like 3 hours in the afternoon there was severe weather in the area, it didn't hit the park, but you could see the storms on the horizon. KK, Toro, the water rides and the ferris wheel all closed during the severe weather watch, but everything else remained open. KK was closed the longest, but as the storms got further, the closed rides opened back up pretty fast.

Thanks. I haven't seen a forecast where there is going to be a thunderstorm tomorrow. It just looks like it is going to rain until about 6-7 PM. Also, would Skull Mountain stay open in a thunderstorm like the Dark Knight would since that one is indoors as well?

I wouldn't expect to ride KK tomorrow, but everything else should be open.

I'm not clear on the Tstorm policy, however. A couple months ago i was at the park and hopped on Nitro at around 845 for one last ride. At the top of the lift hill we see blue flashes of lightning (that didn't seem too far off), and it started POURING. Not like normal rain, it was raining sideways. Mind you it was an amazing experience, but i was very surprised they didn't close the ride before we got on (they even ran 2-3 extra trains after we left). Batman was also open in the pouring rain (they didn't stop it right away and let a few trains go).

So Riddler, like Mantis, will no longer use more than two trains? I assume Chang will continue to only have two. Did something happen to one of them?

The thing with stand-ups is that they take too long to load (even with a fast crew) and the amount of stacking doesn't allow a smooth 3-train operation. So, if they can achieve the same capacity using only 2 trains, why using 3 when you would have the 3rd train waiting in the brake run most of the time...

And, about the 3r train on Chang, it was probably dismantled and used for spare parts for the other 2 remaining trains. Hasn't this been the case with other rides having multiple trains?

Didn't Chang only have 7 car trains as opposed to the usual B&M 8? If that is the case, then they may be using Riddlers train and one of Chang's trains with an additional row moved over from the other Chang train to supplement the 8th row. Then the rest of the 3rd train could be used for spare parts. Also, with Riddler's trains already being green, it could hint about the coaster being themed to Green Lantern. The only down side to my theory is the fact that Chang's station was built for 7 car operation and would have to be retrofitted to accept that 8th car.

On the flip side, they may only go with 7 car trains, but open the ride with 3 trains to up capacity. In which case, they would just remove one car from the Riddler train and make it a 7 car train and use the last car for parts.

Meh! This doesn't help the conversation.

I have a question about El Toro.

The last time I was at the park, I bought a El Toro T shirt. It has all the stats of the coaster on it, and then it says "EST 1997".

I thought it was built in 2006?

Viper became insanely rough after 1997...it's popularity faded, ande paved the path for El Toro's planning.

I have a question about El Toro.

The last time I was at the park, I bought a El Toro T shirt. It has all the stats of the coaster on it, and then it says "EST 1997".

I thought it was built in 2006?

Viper became insanely rough after 1997...it's popularity faded, ande paved the path for El Toro's planning.

I have high doubts that's why the shirt says 1997.

Could you possible post a picture of the shirt? 1997 seems like an irrelevant year.

Now that I look at the rest of the stats, they are all wrong. Ha....I think they got coasters mixed up.

Here are the real stats for the ride...

http://www.rcdb.com/3183.htm

And here is steel force...

http://www.rcdb.com/276.htm

I know they probaly use the same T shirt company, but a weird mix up none the less.

I am really looking forward to Chang coming to GADV, it may not be anything special, but it is a standup ride which seems cool (i've never been on one) and it is another solid ride in the middle of our lineup. For people who have ridden a lot of stand-ups where does Chang rate for you, just curious