TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

You're honestly the only person I've ever seen complain about Houdini. Personally I think it's in fine shape for Six Flags and I would also bet that Holiday in the Park has sent it's ridership numbers through the roof... or floor... which is on the roof... and you're upside down... except you're not... whatever, I can't figure it out.

Edited by coasterbill

It just needs a tuneup.

I agree. A tuneup with a hefty amount of C4.

Seriously it does need some major work - rode it a couple times this year and its very dated and half the effects in the preshow are not working. But the ride itself is still kinda fun, at least to see peoples reactions who don't know what to expect. I love the building and the surrounding garden and would kinda hate to see it go.

Triple hush on Houdini! It is still a fun ride and the best Vekoma Mad House in America. Would love to see something in the old 4D theater (even a 3D film) just to make HITP more appealing in the most inclement weather with one more enclosed attraction. I always felt like having five indoor rides would be the tipping point to increase attendance further.

Houdini is frickin awesome (except that it takes about 25 minutes to load because people don't want to leave their purse in a hallway and don't understand the no loose article policy granted the ride is not intense and it shouldn't matter that you have a purse considering you can bring on a one year old child and you may or may not actually flip upside down but the no loose article policy only adds to the illusion why am I still talking in parenthesis) and Bill is right... if you think Great Adventure's is in bad shape don't bother with New England's.

The main issue with removing or modifying the former Right Stuff theater is logistical. At the moment, pretty much anything that isn't being used by those two FF mazes is used for prize storage. Any sort of project would need to consider the operational impact.

Not to say a solution can't be found, just that it's not as easy as razing an empty building.

Oh, and quadruple hush on Houdini. It's unique and very-well maintained (for Six Flags, at least). The only issue I have is the immensely long time (usually usually feels like hours) it takes for people to sit down, realize they need to get up to put their bags on the side, slowly do so, have the ride op slowly meander through to check for more bags, point out one (or more) idiots who didn't listen the first time, wait for them to move their bag, then finally start the ride.

Count me in on the Houdini fan club-it helps Great Adv. to have a dark ride.They just need to keep the preshow effects working properly.

And since HITP looks like it's going to be an annual thing,how about a Christmas re-theme of Houdini just for December-like involving the Ghost Of Christmas Past?

The main issue with removing or modifying the former Right Stuff theater is logistical. At the moment, pretty much anything that isn't being used by those two FF mazes is used for prize storage. Any sort of project would need to consider the operational impact.

Not to say a solution can't be found, just that it's not as easy as razing an empty building.

Oh, and quadruple hush on Houdini. It's unique and very-well maintained (for Six Flags, at least). The only issue I have is the immensely long time (usually usually feels like hours) it takes for people to sit down, realize they need to get up to put their bags on the side, slowly do so, have the ride op slowly meander through to check for more bags, point out one (or more) idiots who didn't listen the first time, wait for them to move their bag, then finally start the ride.

I guess they could remove the Mouse in a Box and use that building for FF and storage lol!

I guess they could remove the Mouse in a Box and use that building for FF and storage lol!

Hey! I actually like The Dark Knight Coaster.

^ While heat is nice, it also has an un-skippable preshow that goes on for far too long and they will happily make you stand outside in the cold for-frigging-ever waiting for the doors to open rather than just get butts inside.

Edit - They should also blast this in Skully for HitP -

^ While heat is nice, it also has an un-skippable preshow that goes on for far too long and they will happily make you stand outside in the cold for-frigging-ever waiting for the doors to open rather than just get butts inside.

Edit - They should also blast this in Skully for HitP -

I support this. I’m not really a Christmas music kind of person, but I love what these guys did with their Christmas album a few years back.

Time to give a little jolt to this thread.

Now that we've had a shiny new coaster for (most of) a full season, how does Joker rank for you? And do you think its a worthy addition?

Personally I was bummed when it was first announced that we didn't get a larger model. I was also disappointed they decided on something so small to go on the beautiful lakefront. As construction went on I came around to the rides location, and once it and the surrounding plaza was completed I grew to appreciation its position at the end of Main Street.

Ride wise, I didn't get to take a lap until a visit in early September, where I got jostled around really good and had one of those increasingly rare "oh sh*t I'm gonna die" moments on my first flip. I got over a half dozen rides over the course of two visit in November and December and began to appreciate how smooth, fun, and out of control and unpredictable this ride is. Its especially fun with a light buzz on.

While I would have loved a huge custom layout by Intamin, Premier, RMC, etc as much the next guy, especially on the lakefront, I have to say I'm happy with the new addition. I don't think its the type of ride I'll wait for if there is a long waittime, its definitely worth a spin for someone who has yet to ride one of these, and I'll always jump on if I'm walking by and there isn't a full queue.

In terms of how I rank it in the s lineup I'd say it falls somewhere around...

El Toro

Nitro

Batman

Zumanjaro

Bizarro

-> Joker <-

Skull Mountain

Runaway Mine Train

Superman

Kingda Ka

The Dark Knight

Crazy Train

Road Runner Railway

Green Lantern

I was very impressed with Joker.

I really wasn't excited for it after riding X2 and Green Lantern First Flight because of the 300 or so coasters I've ridden, those are the 2 worst coasters that are still in operation and I don't know if you could pay me to ride either of those painful death machines again. They seemed very similar on paper but Joker is much smoother and less jarring while still being incredibly cool and disorienting.

As far as how to rank it, I have a hard time with that. I never know how to rank gimmicky coasters like Joker and Kingda Ka, I know I love them but it's tough to find a spot for them in a list of more standard rides.

I guess if I had to rank the Great Adventure coasters I would have to go...

1) El Toro

2) Batman

3) Nitro

4) Kingda Ka

5) Superman

6) Joker

7) Bizarro

8) Skull Mountain

9) Runaway Mine Train

10) El Diablo Loop Coaster (very underrated coaster)

11) Dark Knight

12) Crazy Train

13) Passing a Kidney Stone

14) Green Lantern

2 and 3 could easily be flipped as could 5 and 6... I sort of go back and fourth on those. Also, despite ranking it at #4 we went to the park a few times this year and only had time for a few rides and on both occasions the only coasters we rode were El Toro and Kingda Ka. Kingda Ka is my drug.

I had gone to the season pass preview night for the joker and got on it 3 times that night. I definitely enjoy it but I won't more then 10-15 minutes for it since you can't always pick what side you want to be on. I've found the green side has definitely flipped me more than the purple side. I've had several rides on the purple side where I didn't even flip once. I wish they would equal it out more.

1) El Toro

2) Nitro

3) Kingda Ka

4) Batman

5) Bizzaro

6) Joker

7) Skull Mountain

8) Superman

9) Runaway Mine Train

10) Dark Knight

11) Crazy Train

12) Green Lantern

13) El Diablo (I don't care about the coaster argument I just don't like being hung upside down for as long as I was on this ride, it's just not for me)

I've never been on Road Runner Railway so I left it off. If we are including Zumanjaro on the list I'd put it at number 4 and bump everything else down. Between that drop and the beautiful view from up there it's one of my favorites.

Very very interesting. If they remove BBNP that opens up a HUGE area for future expansion. Probably premature to speculate this early as it could even just be a website thing, but I wouldnt be surprised to see this as part of an Old Country expansion (moving those kiddie rides to over there, or even near Zum's queue).

Edit: Bill beat me to it.

I wouldnt be surprised to see this as part of an Old Country expansion (moving those kiddie rides to over there

I thought the exact same thing. If I had to guess I would think it would be gone this season as a short term budget cut. Then for 2018 they could announce a new kids area expansion (like SFOG just did) in this area and pass it off as new (maybe throwing in a few new kids rides too if they wanted to). They have to do something with this area now that they're putting in Justice League.

1709385146_lookatthis.thumb.jpg.15d2772103eb86fc011226622e0b1673.jpg

Then you solve the problem of having to walk all the way through Movietown to get to Justice League or having that ugly fenced off midway open all year looking like crap. You also get more family rides for Holiday in the Park which they really need.

Then down the line you can fill in the expansion pad with something cool.

I don't know, it feels strange that they'd be planning to remove BBNP. At one point, this park had many different kiddie/family options (BBNP, Balin's Jungleland, Looney Tunes Seaport, Wiggles World, etc). Of what's left, BBNP seems like the busiest and the most-maintained (Seaport looks so rundown any time I walk through there).

If they are in fact thinking about making changes, I'd bet on it being revamped into another family area, like what SFOG did with DC Superfriends. I can't see them removing what arguably is their best kids area and not put something similar in its place.

EDIT: Damn, Bill beat me, with stronger, more logical theories, too.

Edited by michaellynn4