TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

People who have anything negative about something on this forum seem to get bashed, but I'm going to put in my bit anyways...

I pretty much hate this addition.

1. Low capacity (for a park this size, and with the lines they get, they really need a high capacity new coaster).

2. Personal opinion but the name is silly.

3. Why would they open up that beautiful lake front just to plop a coaster like this in front of it. I feel like there are so many better ways to use that space.

I love Great Adventure, but I feel like they make so many awkward, disjointed, random plans/additions that don't seem to really fit with any long term goal.

Not every ride can be a people eater. The largest capacity rides cost the most money. Any new ride evens out the crowds throughout the park. Let's hypothetically assume that the park built another ride with Nitro's capacity. The fact that more people can ride it per hour doesn't necessarily shorten the other lines for the whole day, because riders are in and out of the queue and off the ride quicker and back

on another line.

I never get caught up in ride names unless it is the same name used for two parks in close proximity. Some will love the name, some will hate it and as long as people are saying the name Six Flags is happy.

The lakefront has been invisible for lack of a better term for years. Everyone has a thought on how space can best be used. I would have loved to see it became a boardwalk type area with games and shops, but they already have a boardwalk area. I do know that the area will be better utilized in 2106 than the past 10-15 years.

I agree about the appearance of disjointed plans, however I think that is due to the size of the park and the park aging and the proactive planning to change the Safari and the Golden Kingdom animal shows. There are too many areas in the park that need fixing to be addressed immediately. I think the short terms necessities create delays in the long term initiatives.

People rave about Chiller (and I loved Chiller), but 50% of the ride went 7 years unused and the other half was frequently closed. I'm sure the park would have loved to have gotten 5 more years out of the ride but couldn't.

The park was offered a unique B&M (to the GP of the park) as an Arrow was at the end of its life cycle, you take that upgrade any day (Green Lantern has a line every day).

People complained about the loss of all the flats, and now that the park is replacing them, people still complain.

The only issue I have had with an addition in the past ten years was the Bizarro conversion. I understand why they did it (to maximize the IP agreement) but it was done half-ass and should not have been a key addition for an off-season.

The only given I see over the next few years is a Justice League: Battle for Metropolis, but there are other issues to be addressed. John Fitzgerald has repeated stated the baboons will return somewhere, what happens to the Old Country area, Stunt Show Arena, I expect something else by the lake in the future. There are always too many issues to address at the park in one calendar year, but the past 10 years at the park have been a huge improvement over the prior twenty years.

Edited by larrygator

My only complaint, and it's really only a half complaint, is with the name. I think 'Total Mayhem' is ridiculous and that just plain old 'Mayhem' would have worked better. But hey at least they didn't go with 'Spinsanity'

Edited by Genx24

This is an awesome addition and I was already planning on going to Texas so that I could ride the one there. But this probably wasn't the best idea for this big park. It holds less people then Tempesto and Kingda Ka. The last time I was at Great Adventure Summer 2014 the park was a mad house. There were over hour waits for every coaster and that includes the kid ones like Skull Mountain and the Indoor Batman. Why couldn't they at least buy the 10 Inversion model? Great Adventure loves to take records and there not getting any with this. This just shows how Six Flags likes to be cheap and not care about lines. I still will hopefully be riding it but this was an awful choice for this park..

Another thing, just because they have El Toro doesn't mean that its okay for them to get stupid additions. You can only ride El Toro so many times before you get tired of it. And considering that they got a carnival ride last year I would be complaining also.. At least the Larson Loop by me came with a family ride... (SFOG)

Rant done!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty pumped about the new additions to the 2016 dining plan:

The 2016 Dining Plan has been enhanced with a few additional features.

Starting today, the 2016 Season Dining Plan officially goes on sale! Now through labor day everyone gets Gold Dining for $84.99 which includes National dining at ANY Six Flags Theme Park and Hurricane Harbor New Jersey only- unfortunately separate water parks are not included with the national dining program.

Guests also now have the option to switch their lunch or dinner voucher for a participating program snack in case they were not interested in getting a full meal with their voucher.

Lastly 2016 Gold Dining Plan holders will also receive a 2016 Free Refills all season long bottle, which is the 2015 “Green Cup” but in 2016 it will be blue. The following locations will be redeeming the e coupon that automatically attaches with the purchase of a 2016 Gold Dining Plan onto the Guests card for the Free 2016 Blue Sports Bottle.:

Theme Park:

Coke Freestyle

GA Café

Main Street Snacks

Shore Eats- Boardwalk

Seaport Eats- East side of Park

Harbor: (Saturday through Monday Only)

Paradise Pizza and Grill

Like all you guys, I want to avoid lines, so thank god for Season Passholder Previews! (I may possibly attend media day too) After that the lines will be enormous so I'll wait until the hype dies down to ride again, or I'll come early.

By the way, if you want to complain, you're entitled to your opinion, but PLEASE read the last few pages before posting your opinion! It gets really annoying to see one issue brought up, resolved, then brought up again 2 pages later by someone who didn't read the previous pages!

Wow if I had known what I was in for when opening this thread I would have brought popcorn...

^ El Toro is my third favorite coaster and definitely my 1# must do ride when I get to the park. Its just that it would be cool to experience something new and different...

At 16 years old and with a coaster count of 165 you have already experienced more "new and different" rides than most people have at your age. I understand it's easy to fall into the "grass is always greener on the other side" feeling, and it's certainly not uncommon for people to be extra critical of their home parks. Just take a step back and be grateful that you have a park with a fantastic collection of rollercoasters that will be even better next year.

It could always be worse, you could live 300 miles from the closest major rollercoaster....

Based off all the complaining here, Six Flags America shoud have gotten Total Mayhem and Great Adventure should have Splashwater Falls. Great Adventure did not get the short end of the stick, it got one of the top three announcements among the Six Flags chain. I don't get the whining. I guess its a Jersey thing

You know what everyones wanted this whole time? A wing coaster. Back in Spring, people were saying it was between a 4D, a Wing, or a Justice League. And most people wanted a wing, but were expecting a 4D. Because of X Flight, NJ is now really wanting a wing. I'm telling you, thats the reason why everyone is complaining.

You know what everyones wanted this whole time? A wing coaster. Back in Spring, people were saying it was between a 4D, a Wing, or a Justice League. And most people wanted a wing, but were expecting a 4D. Because of X Flight, NJ is now really wanting a wing. I'm telling you, thats the reason why everyone is complaining.

From what I've heard, those B&M Wing Coasters are overated and not that great with the exception of the launched one at Holiday World. I've heard mixed and lukewarm reviews about X Flight. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the Batman S&S 4D Free Fly at Fiesta Texas. Consider yourselves lucky that you are getting the better ride.

^ yea i agree. This is probably one of the worst years for six flags with the exception of Joker and TM. My guess is that Six Flags is trying to get super loops at all of the parks, so La Ronde, Mexico, Great America, and Magic Mountain should be getting one next year. Unless, because SF calls them coasters, it'll be the 20th coaster at SFMM. So big disappointment at SFMM in 2017?

You are welcome to your own opinion, but so am I. And in my opinion, people who are complaining about this are self-entitled, obnoxious, stupid coaster enthusiasts that I wish weren't part of our community.

There's more to it than that though, especially with GADV. This is what the park has done in the past 8 years:

Removed:

Removed Chiller

Removed GASM

Removed Rolling Thunder

Closed off entire section of the park past chiller, which put other flats out of commission while they also removed the Intamin 1st Gen Freefall

Some rides that were removed (Chaos) were changed to smoking sections rather than replaced with new rides

Removed the giant Teepee

Added:

The Dark Knight - indoor wild mouse

The Green Lantern - relocated standup coaster

Bizzaro - Medusa is repainted and some of the theming is literally turned upside down, sometimes they turn the fire on too

Zumanjaro - Drop tower added to the side of already-built Kingda Ka

Safari RIde - The park changed the already existing safari into one that leaves through controlled vehicle from the park and billed it as a new ride. There was an outpost stop added with an upcharged zipline. They didn't add the monkeys back.

Larson loop bulled as a coaster

S&S 4D coaster that isn't as good as the Intamin version (yes I've ridden both). The capacity and waits for the SFFT version were consistently horrible.

That's off the top of my head, sure I've missed something but hopefully not that major. I personally have not bought a SF season pass because I haven't had a reason to go back to GADV (I live in NYC) in the past 3 years and I only go to 1 or 2 other SF parks each summer. My GP friends don't ever feel compelled to go back, usually the saying is "maybe if they add a new big ride, it'll be worth the lines and admission price". When have you last felt compelled to go back to GADV Rob? Do you want to NJ for this ride? Yes there's obviously a lot of investment that was put into the park prior to these past 8 years but really nothing great has been done since Obama's been in office (must be his fault ).

I personally get my fair share of credits from travelling for work and then staying a few extra days to go to parks like SFFT, Alton Towers and Thorpe, BGT, etc. And I do one day want to go back and relive Nitro and El Toro and Ka. But to see what's been added to the park recently, or lack thereof, has just been disappointing considering what parks like SFMM and SFGA receive, and everybody here would agree that GADV was once grouped with those parks in terms of SF money allotment. That they have to tear down an entire waterfront theater space for a ride that has a smaller footprint than a Togo heartline twister also confuses me.

Here's to hoping for those dueling launched wingriders that reuse Chiller's station, theme to Batman vs. Superman, and dominate that aforementioned closed off area of the park in two years I guess...

This is EXACTLY the kind of "self-entitled, obnoxious, stupid coaster enthusiast" drivel I'm talking about! Listen to yourself!!! The park has actually IMPROVED quite a bit and you're making rides like Zumanjaro sound like nothing because it's on the "already built Kingda Ka." Really?!??! And you're complaining about monkeys?!?!?! And teepees!?!?! Seriously, you're an idiot. Please get off our forums.

it is just an opinion. Not a popular one, but it surely doesen't make him an idiot IMO.

I like the addition of this coaster, I prefer this version over Intamin's.

Total Mayhem is a great coaster in an overall horrible year for Six Flags announcements. I mean seriously: Besides this and The Joker everything is a clone or a re-theme. FOUR SUPER LOOPS!!!! THREE NAMED FIREBALL!!!!

So now we've moved onto complaining about the announcements as a whole?

I think it's actually a great year for announcements.

- SFDK gets RMC

- SFGAdv gets Free Spin

- SFMM rehabs Revolution

- SFOT gets flat ride package

- SFFT gets flat ride package

- SFGAM and SFM get JL:BFM

- SFOG revamps two areas with several new rides

I was pleasantly surprised by several of them, including the ride refurbishments and flat packages at several parks. Much more surprised than 2014 or 2015.

Edited by michaellynn4

I don't know who these people are and I don't remember people clamoring for a wing coaster. I've ridden Gatekeeper which some have said is one of the better wing coasters, I've also ridden Wild Eagle. I liked Gatekeeper but SFFT's Batman is a much more exciting and fun ride.

^ El Toro is my third favorite coaster and definitely my 1# must do ride when I get to the park. Its just that it would be cool to experience something new and different...

New and different? There is nothing like this ride within 1800 miles of SFGAdv!

Remember, globetrotting coaster enthusiasts are the extreme minority when it comes to theme park guests.

The only issue I have had with an addition in the past ten years was the Bizarro conversion. I understand why they did it (to maximize the IP agreement) but it was done half-ass and should not have been a key addition for an off-season.

Since you mention that, as they're retheming SFNE's Bizarro back to Superman, do you think it's likely that they'll follow suit at GAdv and take it back to Medusa this season?