TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I feel really lucky to have ridden Fury 325, Intimidator, Apollo's Chariot and Intimidator 305 within a three day period two weeks ago, all running under essentially the same weather conditions. I wasn't sure before but now feel strongly that i305 is the best giga out there after riding it back when in it opened and again this summer. Apollo's Chariot really surprised me at its slightly beyond floater air time (for a B&M) compared to other times I've ridden it. It was a lot of fun without a doubt in a great setting. For the newer B&M hypers, I think Behemoth is still ahead but the others are all very similar and just about as good (Intimidator and Diamondback).

Compared to i305, Fury 325 is for sure more re-ridable as it is less intense but i305 was just so addicting that the grey outs and ejector bruises were well worth it. It was all well balanced out by the twisty layout. No one does quick transitions as good as Intamin that I've found to date, although Fury 325 gave it a fair shot and does it less aggressively, which isn't a bad thing. I think the only coaster that is more intense than i305 in the US so far is SkyRush.

KD, you've got such an amazing gem of a coaster there in i305 and that doesn't even take into account that you also have the awesome Volcano. What a great collection of coasters overall within a couple hours drive.

Slammed like a semi truck??? How much do you weigh??? it's possible your body couldn't handle it.... But lets face it, there is no other full circuit coaster that intense and probably never will be, or at least for a long time

Ok, yes, I was exaggerating a but for fun. Its just a line I like. And, no, there probably wont be another coaster like i305 (or Skyrush) for a while.

For those loving AP:

AP was trimmed to death. It is my least favorite of the B&M hypers I have been on. It has so much potential, but they have ruined it. Second hill, almost to the top, coming in with great speed, and *BAM* , a trim nearly as dramatic as i305's. (This was the part of the ride I looked most forward to; that dive into the turnaround, nearly missing Brewery Lake. The return had some fair ejector time, but it was just *meh* compared to Nitro. That Stengel like dive under the lift was also pretty trimmed, and instead of a snap through it, it floated pretty blandly past. And that "surprise" finale drop wasn't nearly as epic as it is made out to be. Above the average airtime for this coaster, but nothing to rave upon.

Such wasted potential.

I haven't been on Intimidator 232 to judge that one. But a hyper like Nitro would be the best at KD.

I disagree, I think a ride like El Toro would be the best fit for KD. Or an Intamin Hyper

Stop. We don't need an I305 copy. We don't need another Intamin. We need something with floater airtime and/or subtle intensity.

Slammed like a semi truck??? How much do you weigh??? it's possible your body couldn't handle it.... But lets face it, there is no other full circuit coaster that intense and probably never will be, or at least for a long time

Ok, yes, I was exaggerating a but for fun. Its just a line I like. And, no, there probably wont be another coaster like i305 (or Skyrush) for a while.

For those loving AP:

AP was trimmed to death. It is my least favorite of the B&M hypers I have been on. It has so much potential, but they have ruined it. Second hill, almost to the top, coming in with great speed, and *BAM* , a trim nearly as dramatic as i305's. (This was the part of the ride I looked most forward to; that dive into the turnaround, nearly missing Brewery Lake. The return had some fair ejector time, but it was just *meh* compared to Nitro. That Stengel like dive under the lift was also pretty trimmed, and instead of a snap through it, it floated pretty blandly past. And that "surprise" finale drop wasn't nearly as epic as it is made out to be. Above the average airtime for this coaster, but nothing to rave upon.

Such wasted potential.

I haven't been on Intimidator 232 to judge that one. But a hyper like Nitro would be the best at KD.

I disagree, I think a ride like El Toro would be the best fit for KD. Or an Intamin Hyper

KD doesn't need more intense rides. They already have the most intense coaster pretty much ever along with a very large and solid lineup outside of it.

I do agree that a B&M hyper would round out the park's lineup nicely, though.

For those loving AP:

Such wasted potential.

Stop. We don't need an I305 copy. We don't need another Intamin. We need something with floater airtime and/or subtle intensity.

I don't want a boring coaster, It won't excite me in the least

Ill trade you Shivering Timbers (airtime monster) for I305

What!? No way! I don't care how good I305 may be - Shivering Timbers is an awesome airtime woodie, one of my top coasters overall, and it's not that far to CP to ride MF if you need to get your speed on!

What!? No way! I don't care how good I305 may be - Shivering Timbers is an awesome airtime woodie, one of my top coasters overall, and it's not that far to CP to ride MF if you need to get your speed on!

Listen its a good trade. We trade up to I305. Then we sell I305 and buy timbers back and a intamin megalite

Listen its a good trade. We trade up to I305. Then we sell I305 and buy timbers back and a intamin megalite

I see what you did there...

Off topic but I noticed something weird on the website. On the site it says a Fast Lane + is $55 (with fees), but when I checkout the price raises all the way to $70 with fees. Why is this? Is the price any different in the park? I had only planned on spending 55-60 dollars but now that it's close to 80 I realize it may not be worth it (besides, I don't even have that much on me anyway)

Off topic but I noticed something weird on the website. On the site it says a Fast Lane + is $55 (with fees), but when I checkout the price raises all the way to $70 with fees. Why is this? Is the price any different in the park? I had only planned on spending 55-60 dollars but now that it's close to 80 I realize it may not be worth it (besides, I don't even have that much on me anyway)

its worth it if you're going on a Saturday!!!

Going to Kings Domion this Sunday and I am very excited about riding I-305, it is the best roller coaster that I have ever rode. I also am interested in what is going to happen with the Shockwave. Honestly, I already have the credit so I won't subject myself to the pain of a last ride but I will check for survey markers!

we knocked put absolutely everything yesterday with our regular Flash Passes. And all the wooden coasters were running one train, i305 was running one train, and ops were below par. At $40 a person when you buy dour (like us), it wasn't too bad. So ^^^ go for it.

My experience with Sundays is that they are equally or even more crowded than Saturdays. Everyone thinks they are going to outsmart the weekend crowds going then.

Going to Kings Domion this Sunday and I am very excited about riding I-305, it is the best roller coaster that I have ever rode. I also am interested in what is going to happen with the Shockwave. Honestly, I already have the credit so I won't subject myself to the pain of a last ride but I will check for survey markers!

Nice. Take lots of pics of the construction site too

Cheaper the more you buy

^^Honestly, you're not missing much with Intimidator 232. Not to bash the coaster too much, but I found it to be somewhat boring in my 2 visits since it opened. I would rank it last out of all the B&M hypers in the US and I've been on all of them in the last couple years. If we are talking about which kind of B&M hyper would be best for KD, my vote goes to one similar to Goliath at SFOG.

^Of course, getting an Intamin Prefab would trump all B&Ms.

So many people says it has no airtime whatsoever, but what I noticed riding Intimidator 232 is that it's filled with floater air while Fury 325 has three really big pops of ejector air.

For those loving AP:

Such wasted potential.

Intamin is not the holy grail of coasters dude. KD needs a B&M

For those loving AP:

Such wasted potential.

Intamin is not the holy grail of coasters dude. KD needs a B&M

Intamin Prefab is the best and only option unless they want a bigger and longer skyrush. talk about amazing, not B&ms please

^^Honestly, you're not missing much with Intimidator 232. Not to bash the coaster too much, but I found it to be somewhat boring in my 2 visits since it opened. I would rank it last out of all the B&M hypers in the US and I've been on all of them in the last couple years. If we are talking about which kind of B&M hyper would be best for KD, my vote goes to one similar to Goliath at SFOG.

^Of course, getting an Intamin Prefab would trump all B&Ms.

So many people says it has no airtime whatsoever, but what I noticed riding Intimidator 232 is that it's filled with floater air while Fury 325 has three really big pops of ejector air.

Intimidator does have some floater air, but the ride just doesn't seem to do much of anything else. It's not a bad ride, I just find it to be the weakest of the B&M hypers and a little boring. Just for the record, I also find the first half of Nitro to be a little underwhelming , but really enjoy the helix and 2 bunny hills at the end.

Y'all crazy if you think a hyper is the best choice for the park.

If they were to go with a B&M, my first choice would be an invert. ...still the best type B&M has to offer.

2 inverts at one park seems odd to me. I'd be beyond disappointed of they go that route