TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Geesh I saw one review call TT "slow and lethargic" but I assume this has to do with the fact it was ridden in the mid-40s.

Lmao, you gotta love enthusiasts. Ride has been open maybe 180 minutes in late March.

Stupidity has no limits my friends.

Geesh I saw one review call TT "slow and lethargic" but I assume this has to do with the fact it was ridden in the mid-40s.

Lmao, you gotta love enthusiasts. Ride has been open maybe 180 minutes in late March.

The review in question was from someone that was literally on the FIRST TRAIN OF THE DAY, before noon, when the weather was in the low 40's, and maybe one train had cycled prior to it. I know this because my son and I were ALSO on that first train.

"Slow and lethargic" is bullsh*t. It took its time getting back into the station after the last turnaround, but besides that? It was pretty goddamned relentless. Honestly, so far this ride is a collection of RMC's greatest hits. You've got the inverting drop from Storm Chaser, followed by a gigantic overbank that is so much of a goddamned improvement over Hurler's turnaround it's sickening, straight into the trio of hills that provide airtime to a ridiculous degree. I realize this is a hybrid but honestly those three airtime hills in a row felt like ejector I'd expect from a hyper, not a hybrid. And then everything else that follows? A big gigantic mess of bunny hops tossing you out of your seat, half-inversions and full inversions, all like a bucking bronco is daring you to hang on for life. And this was after the FIRST ride of the day.

The kiddo and I rode it eight more times during the preview event. It only got better as the weather and wheels got warmer, even with the majority of the invitees choosing to forego additional rides in lieu of "oh hey, free burgers, oh hey, free mac and cheese, oh hey, let me get seconds and thirds". Even with a half-full train this thing was riding great.

After we got off the first time, the kiddo turned to me and said "You know what, I give it 100 percent!". Is it a perfect ride? No, probably not. But it's a hell of a lot of fun, up in the top ten percent of coasters I've been on for sure, and one that I'll gladly queue up for every time I visit. They got it right IMO. And anyone complaining about a lack of speed needs to check themselves for real. God, I'm glad I'm not that jaded yet.

How were the restraints?

Either I've been losing weight or they are the loosest set of RMC restraints yet. And I haven't been sticking to my diet.

^^Glad you had fun! Will you still be there tomorrow? Maybe we'll run into you.

I think we'll probably miss each other this time. We're heading to BGW at the crack of open tomorrow to pick up our passes, get a few rides in, and then head back up north in the mid-afternoon. We've got an Easter Egg hunt scheduled with the extended family out in PA on Sunday morning so we're having to cut this trip a little bit shorter than I had originally hoped.

The review in question was from someone that was literally on the FIRST TRAIN OF THE DAY, before noon, when the weather was in the low 40's, and maybe one train had cycled prior to it. I know this because my son and I were ALSO on that first train.

"Slow and lethargic" is bullsh*t. It took its time getting back into the station after the last turnaround, but besides that? It was pretty goddamned relentless. Honestly, so far this ride is a collection of RMC's greatest hits. You've got the inverting drop from Storm Chaser, followed by a gigantic overbank that is so much of a goddamned improvement over Hurler's turnaround it's sickening, straight into the trio of hills that provide airtime to a ridiculous degree. I realize this is a hybrid but honestly those three airtime hills in a row felt like ejector I'd expect from a hyper, not a hybrid. And then everything else that follows? A big gigantic mess of bunny hops tossing you out of your seat, half-inversions and full inversions, all like a bucking bronco is daring you to hang on for life. And this was after the FIRST ride of the day.

The kiddo and I rode it eight more times during the preview event. It only got better as the weather and wheels got warmer, even with the majority of the invitees choosing to forego additional rides in lieu of "oh hey, free burgers, oh hey, free mac and cheese, oh hey, let me get seconds and thirds". Even with a half-full train this thing was riding great.

After we got off the first time, the kiddo turned to me and said "You know what, I give it 100 percent!". Is it a perfect ride? No, probably not. But it's a hell of a lot of fun, up in the top ten percent of coasters I've been on for sure, and one that I'll gladly queue up for every time I visit. They got it right IMO. And anyone complaining about a lack of speed needs to check themselves for real. God, I'm glad I'm not that jaded yet.

Fantastic review! I can't wait to ride it in a month or two.

Lol.....

Kings Dominion Compromises: “We’ll keep the Rebel Yell name, but the trains will only go backwards”

Posted by Anderson Tilley

DOSWELL, Va. — Following a significant amount of public criticism regarding the changing of its name, the Kings Dominion roller coaster Racer 75 will revert to its original name Rebel Yell, but the trains on both tracks will only go backward, park sources confirmed this morning.

“It was a tough decision, made with the utmost consideration,” Matthew Antezana, a spokesperson for the amusement park, stated in a recent press release. “However, we believe we’ve struck a compromise that will appease everyone.”

Originally named Rebel Yell for the infamous cry of the Confederate soldier charging into battle, in February 2018 Kings Dominion renamed the coaster Racer 75 as an homage to both a roller coaster enthusiast group and the year the ride debuted. Up until 2008, the trains on one side of the track ran backward, which, according to Antezana, fans of the coaster have been clamoring for ever since.

“Everyone’s always asking ‘will they ever make the ride go backward again?’” Antezena said. “We hope this move will excite all of our clientele, both those that wanted the ride to go backward and those who wanted the name to return to Rebel Yell for its underlying Confederate heritage. Now guests can once again enjoy the sensation of moving backward along the tracks as well as traveling backward in progress, which we think is fitting given the direction the country is going in.”

“Why go forward with things when we could go backward, instead?” he asked.

Antezana also revealed that Racer 75 wasn’t the only potential name or concept discussed for the iconic ride.

“We briefly toyed with the idea of telling people that it had, in actuality, been named for the Billy Idol song all this time. We had a whole publicity campaign ready to launch featuring the chorus of ‘more, more, more,’ but we think this compromise suited us better,” Antezana stated.

Another scrapped idea for the ride involved traveling backward through time to a mid-20th century setting. “We considered switching the name back to Rebel Yell but modifying the ride with a time travel theme where guests would disembark from the coaster and we would tell them it’s the pre-Civil War era, there’s no vaccination for polio, and children worked 70 hour weeks in factories for next to nothing. Since that seems to be the era some of the country wants to revert to, we may try it out on the Grizzly next year.”

Kings Dominion hopes that its example is one that the rest of the state can follow in making decisions about these naming conventions for years to come.

“This seemed like the perfect solution,” Antezana continued. “We try to make incremental baby steps in order to meet the bare minimum of decency. And if that doesn’t work, we’ll just bring something back from years ago and go backward. Honestly, that should probably be the Commonwealth’s motto at this point.”

When asked if the topic of Confederate monuments and symbols being removed across the country influenced the park’s recent decisions, Antezana assured us that the company valued the opinions of the park’s patrons, before immediately changing the topic to the park’s Eiffel Tower replica.

“Hey, by the way, have you seen our fake Eiffel Tower? I love it! It looks kind of like the one in Paris, right? What a great concept!”

Edited by thrillrider
  • Like 1

Stupidity has no limits my friends.

Why do you think we try to weed out as many idiot roller coaster enthusiasts as we possibly can on TPR?

One thing I keep hearing from those who got to ride today is how quiet the trains are. I wonder if that has to do with the newer generation of RMC trains being used?

I remember when Wicked Cyclone opened it kept doing those screeching sounds through the rolls.

One thing I keep hearing from those who got to ride today is how quiet the trains are. I wonder if that has to do with the newer generation of RMC trains being used?

I remember when Wicked Cyclone opened it kept doing those screeching sounds through the rolls.

yeah, on the pov, the train is so smooth and quiet.