TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^^^^That camera rig is out of control!

Isn't that what Robb uses for his DVD's and POV's??

Kidding aside, I miss the actual red and blue paint from the ride. The all white is so blah and half the time the chipped worn paint just looks nasty.

What year did they get rid of the old queue line and start the long meandering queue for the Rebel Yell? Was it the same year they switched the sides you enter the train on? I'm guessing so, as that'd make sense. It's been in its current configuration since I first started riding the ride in 1994, so it must have been before that.

What year did they get rid of the old queue line and start the long meandering queue for the Rebel Yell? Was it the same year they switched the sides you enter the train on? I'm guessing so, as that'd make sense. It's been in its current configuration since I first started riding the ride in 1994, so it must have been before that.

Kings Dominion has quite a few meandering queues. I never understood why they couldn't implement some kind of straight shot for the non-busy days.

the "long meandering queue" is the old "long meandering exit", so yeah it was at the same time. i'm guessing it might have been moved as part of the renovations to build either the water park or Wayne's World. i'm sure someone here knows for sure.

So now that Canada's Wonderland has announced their interactive dark ride in their mountain, I wonder if we could see something similar in ours in the next few years. There's plenty of open space in there, as Volcano actually doesn't use much of the mountain's interior.

So now that Canada's Wonderland has announced their interactive dark ride in their mountain, I wonder if we could see something similar in ours in the next few years. There's plenty of open space in there, as Volcano actually doesn't use much of the mountain's interior.

The support structure uses the vast majority of the space in there. You're going to have a hard time finding any open areas inside the volcano, even if the ride itself only cuts through it twice.

To answer the questions about Rebel Yells Q line, it was changed to its current state in 1994. The old Q house was razed to make way for the entrance to Waynes World. Rebel yell received a complete renovation that year including fin brakes, individual lap bars, and computer control system along with the redesigned Q line which allowed us to choose where we sit. Kings Dominion built long Q's to cut down on line jumping. here are some pics of the way it used to be.

JEFF

kd_vintage_the_rebel_yell.thumb.jpg.f8a2d86771625b9c63797a54e817c814.jpg

old Q house, with a funnel cake stand on one side. (very similar to Racer's Q)

1375603011_RebelYellAerial.thumb.JPG.834bc26fed5db951052afeed43332209.JPG

this aerial pic from 1990 shows where the line entered the middle of the station and the exits are where the entrance is now.

Ah, seeing pictures of Kings Dominion back in its early days always bring back such good memories ( not to mention a tear or two ).

Back in 1990, I remember walking down to the Wave Swinger when I glanced over to Lake Charles and saw this massive, green-colored looping coaster that was being built over the lake; and I was so excited that I wanted to get on it and ride, even though it wasn't finished yet. I saw those first two loops, with the second loop being a sidewinding loop, and I thought to myself Is a loop like that legal? As I got in a closer look, I notice the first drop took you into an underwater tunnel and I thought to myself Now that's gonna be wicked regardless if its legal or not! I knew that I couldn't wait until 1991 for the opening of that new coaster.

Opening day for Kings Dominion's 1991 season had terrible weather: it was foggy, cloudy, and cold that day, plus it rained for a bit in the afternoon. Still, that didn't stop me nor a million other riders from taking their first ride on Anaconda. How many other coasters out there have you riding above a lake? Between that first ride in 1991 to today, I must have ridden that ride over fifty times, despite how rough it is.

In closing, I don't know how many more seasons the Anaconda has left, but it will continue to excite its riders until then.

35 YEARS OF GOING TO KINGS DOMINION - AND COUNTING!!!

Seeing that the recent blurb about i305 stated "later this Fall," I'm guessing that could be anytime between the end of Sept and Oct. My plane tix are already bought for a BGW/KD weekend the weekend of 9/27-9/29. I'm so beyond bummed out about this, since i305 was pretty much reason #1 for making the trip. Obviously, things like this happen, and it's out of my (and probably the park's) control... still, it will be a sad trip walking by a closed i305...

I already grabbed my BGW tix and QQ for that Friday. We were planning on doing KD on Sat. and Sun., but is it worth us getting Fast Lane both days if i305 isn't open? I mean, obviously there are a ton of other coasters there to ride (even though Fast Lane can't be used for them all), but I don't know if shelling out the $200+ for 2 days of Fast Lane is worth it unless it's to re-ride i305 a million times (which was the plan).

Assuming i305 will be down (which is the safe bet), do you guys think we'd be fine just doing Fast Lane one day, and be able to get on everything between Sat and Sun? We're not really that interested in the haunt stuff--we'll probably do some of it, but it's not why we're going.

^Oh, whoops. I didn't realize Haunt started that weekend. You lines might be a little longer as the days wear on, but most people are going to come in the late afternoon and early evening so you'll be okay. I've been to KD on plenty of Sundays during Haunt, and with getting there at opening I've always managed to hit every coaster by 1-2pm.