TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Is mobile really that much closer than Galveston? I am surprised Carnival isn't considering that! This sounds awful and further confirms I will never sail Carnival again.

Mobile has a shipyard and drydock. Much cheaper and faster to tow the ship direct to Mobile than to Mexico THEN Mobile. Not defending the decision, but that's why.

Meanwhile, Disney announces some new itineraries. As Kenny Powers might say, "Galveston, you're "f**kin' out. Disney Magic is now a free agent."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/vacation-starter/cruise-lines/disney-cruise-line/vs-disney-cruise-line-2014-plans-puerto-rico-venice-20130212,0,578973.story

Disney Cruise Line announced its 2014 itineraries and the highlights include a return to Europe and Alaska and two new ports for departure -- Venice, Italy and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The Disney Magic will head back to Europe from May to August and sail for the first time on select trips out of Venice. On those trips, the ship will port overnight allowing passengers to enjoy the historic city. The European itineraries also offer some new ports of call for the line including Catania, Sicily and the Greek ports of Corfu, Katakolon, Rhodes, Santorini and Heraklion (Crete).

The Magic will also sail out of its traditional home port of Barcelona for a variety of itineraries for four, five, seven, nine and 12-night cruises.

Also new for Disney Cruise Line will be four southern Caribbean cruises out of the port of San Juan. The Magic will sail in September and October on seven-night cruises with stops in Antigua, St. Lucia, first-time destination Grenada, Barbados and St. Kitts.

Rates for those cruises start at $945 per person.

As previously announced, all four Disney ships will home port in Florida in early 2014. The Magic will come to Port Canaveral near Orlando to join the Dream to offer three- and four-night Bahamas cruises while the Fantasy will continue alternating seven-night eastern and western Caribbean cruises. In Miami, the Wonder will offer four-night Bahamas and five-night western Caribbean cruises. All four will make stops at Disney's private island Castaway Cay.

The Wonder will once again make its way in the summer to offer Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver. It has not yet been announced where the Wonder will make its home port in fall 2014. The Magic will return to Miami for fall sailings of four- and five-night western Caribbean cruies in addition to the Puerto Rico trips.

Announced plans do not include any trips to the Mexican Riviera or Hawaii, both of which were offered in 2012. The Wonder will have two Panama Canal crossings as it makes its way to and from Alaska.

The Dream and Fantasy will remain at Port Canaveral year-round offering a variety of Caribbean and Bahamas options.

Good to see Disney send their ships to ports in the Caribbean that don't suck for once.

My favorite thing so far has been the CNN article:

Quotes from actual passengers saying how it is disgusting...and reference to someone on cruisecritic saything things are fine and they are enjoying the extended vacation.

A poster on the cruising forum cruisecritic.com said her sister reported passengers have enough food and are "enjoying the extended vacation."

"The odor is so bad, people are getting sick and they're throwing up everywhere," said Brent Nutt, whose wife is aboard the ship.

Passenger Ann Barlow said the staff on the Triumph was doing a good job, but flooded rooms, hot, humid conditions, long lines for food and overwhelming odors were making things tough for passengers.

"It's disgusting. It's the worst thing ever," she told CNN Monday.

Barlow's husband, Toby, said she told him there was "sewage running down the walls and floors" with passengers being asked to defecate in bags and urinate in showers due to the lack of functioning toilets. The air conditioning is also out.

I wonder which one of those is the carnival marketing shill?

I thought the same thing! No one can honestly say that staying on a ship with almost no power and sanitation, and not full food service is an extended vacation, unless maybe they're Bear Grylls.

Edited by jray21

I thought the same thing! No one can honestly say that staying on a ship with almost no power and sanitation, and not full food service is an extended vacation, unless maybe they're Bear Grylls.

Or someone is really enjoying the free alcohol.

I know Carnival said that they were going tow the ship back to Texas rather than Mexico due to everyone not having a passport. According to CNN, the ship was traveling throughout the Caribbean. Don't you need a passport while traveling to the Caribbean? Just a thought.

Here's a couple of quotes from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/13/travel/cruise-ship-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

That day, her husband phoned, still stranded at sea. The sanitary situation had already begun to deteriorate on board the Triumph.

"He said that the conditions have gotten so bad that they're asking them to use the restroom in bags, and they were eating onion sandwiches," McKerreghan said.

The call was the last she has heard from them.

I've never taken a cruise before, but isn't there a way that you could transfer the passengers to a different ship? This is horrible and I am sure a few lawsuits will happen after the ordeal is over with.

Hilton stood in line for three hours waiting for something to eat, her sister said.

"People ahead of her hoarded food," Stanfield said. "By the time she got up there, all she could get was a hamburger and some waters."

Hilton and 20 of her girlfriends booked the cruise to celebrate one of their birthdays.

Not a good memory of a birthday. I'd also like to make an ACE joke, but this is just a horrible situation for everytone to be in.

You don't need a passport assuming you're a US citizen and the ship returns to the same US port of call it departed from; just a birth certificate. None of the Caribbean islands ever bother to check documents of cruise passengers except their cards for re-entry to to the cruise port area, so that's moot also.

How do ships not have a back up system (generator) so that at least some of the toilets work.

CNN said that some of the toilets on the ship worked, but it was mostly the ones in the public areas and some toilets in the rooms. But still, they should have backup generators to supply power for emergencies like this one. Does anyone know if something like this happend on another cruise line? I'm just wondering what would have happened if a situation like this occured on a Disney ship.

^It's most likely being sold as two separate cruises and you just saw the link to the longer one.

People love the little NE and Canada cruises. A lot of time they're in the fall and marketed as 'foliage' cruises. Anyway, the QM2 often only does transatlantics so this is another way to introduce the ship to some other ports, potential clients, and travel agents as well. Plus it's a way for people from England who don't like to fly to come to the US, see a few cities then sail back.

It will be interesting to see all the pictures and hear more stories when the ship gets in.

Totally agree with this. I've started following the discussion over at cruisecritic and there are only about 10 pax that have been communicating with people back home and sharing experiences (mainly through text).. Once the ship docks, expect to see a social media barrage of negative cruise photos on the scale of something that has never been seen before (assuming the media reports are true)..

^ And it couldn't have happened to a better cruise line!

In all seriousness, though, I really hope this doesn't tarnish Carnival too much. I mean, we NEED that line to exist and do well. If not, those awful people might wind up on a ship we decide to sail on!

--Robb "Oh, who are we kidding, they'll all end up in Laughlin!" Alvey (google it, kids)

I'm sure Cruise Critic will be filled with Carnival apologists just like it is whenever anyone says anything negative about Carnival there. Because as long as you can pack as many people into a room as cheaply as possible and you serve cheap Bud Light, who cares if the food is edible or toilets work? YOLO!

Yeah, the upcoming deluge of ship photos from this cruise should be amusing. But photos of sewage filled hallways are not going to stop the average Carnival customer from going on another Carnival cruise. But as Robb noted, if this keeps them off Royal Caribbean, this is a GOOD thing!

dt

I heard on the radio this morning, while the DJ was interviewing a mom whose ex-husband and 10-year-old daughter are on the ship, that the waters have gotten choppy, slowing the arrival of the ship in Mobile by a few hours, to this evening rather than this afternoon. Then, many of the passengers will face an hours-long bus ride back to Galveston.