TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I believe that may be Twist and Shout at Loudoun Castle that's up for sale. It is similar to Scorpion, so that is most likely why they used a picture of it. Also, Scorpion did not open in 1983.

Edit: I also do not believe Scorpion would be available immediately. However, Twist and Shout has been closed since 2010, so it is probably all ready to be shipped.

Since they kept dropping the ride with the non working seats I'm guessing nothing is broken/dangerous for the ride.

I hate to speculate, but I'm guessing that the adjustments are not a 100% for the broken seat, and that they will fix it quite easy.

I'm very impressed with the ride itself. I thought the tilting back would take longer, and start higher up. I also thought the ride would start breaking much earlier.

This is really starting to shape up to one of the absolute most scariest rides in the world.

I agree... I can't believe how fast those seats snap back into place! I was expecting a soft return to the upright position... Not a neck breaking snap! I cannot wait to experience this bad boy!!!

Wonder if the seatsare supposed to snap back that quick... Maybe the broken cylinder was caused by them tilting too quick?

Seats are supposed to start tilting back in the pre-brake section making it a smooth transition. Right now, the seats are tilting back in the actual braking section.

What makes you say that? I thought the idea was to have them kick out quickly in the brakes.That's what this video made it look like.

^From my understanding, not based on the person quoted by you and adding that I don't know enough about the ride to truly back this up, the seats are supposed to be tilting to an upright position during breaking and not during the pre-break section. The problem is that the seats are tilting back too quickly causing that arm to break loose, and they either need to adjust/reinforce something in the arm or somehow adjust the breaking to prevent that from happening.

On a side note, the seats tilting back to normal has to add extra positive g's while the ride is breaking. Perhaps a pre-break section is needed to make the ride comfortable. I honestly have no idea though...maybe there is no pre-break section and that area is actually intended to move the seats to an upright position.

I wish they would just lock those arms and let us ride it out face down all the way! Actually, I'll be plenty happy if the ride opens even without tilting seats!

On a side note, the seats tilting back to normal has to add extra positive g's while the ride is breaking. Perhaps a pre-break section is needed to make the ride comfortable. I honestly have no idea though...maybe there is no pre-break section and that area is actually intended to move the seats to an upright position.

I was actually wondering why those pre-brakes were needeed if the seats return to normal position during the "normal" brakes. But I guess the know what they're doing.

I wish they would just lock those arms and let us ride it out face down all the way!

That would be very interesting.....

Looks like they are trying to sell Scorpion.

They definitely aren't trying to sell Scorpion. That listing has been up for awhile (I think I saw it sometime last year). I love Scorpion to death as it was one of my first rollercoasters but I'll admit that I had a mini-heart attack the first time I saw the picture on there too. However, I quickly calmed down when it was stated in the details that the coaster is for sale in Europe and to be purchased with Euros. That helped me realize that the photo is Scorpion, but the coaster for sale is not.

As for Falcon's Fury, I was planning on heading to the park next Friday to give it a whirl. Sucks that it has been delayed but things like this happen with prototypes. I'll still probably head there to get some laps in on Montu, SheiKra and all the other goodies! It'll be a tease seeing the tower there, but what can ya do?

I'm calling it now!!! When Scorpion is sold it will be replaced with a Zac Spin... what... one can dream right??

That would be a horrible dream. Scorpion is a little Schwarzkopf, but it's still a Schwarzkopf with by default makes it awesome. We loved the coaster when we rode it a few months ago, and it's a great starter coaster for people not quite ready to ride the awesomeness that is Kumba or Montu.

I'm calling it now!!! When Scorpion is sold it will be replaced with a Zac Spin... what... one can dream right??

You gotta be kidding right? Zac-Spins are terrible painful rides if the cart is unbalanced. I think these are the only coasters I don't like other than the Togo Stand-ups...

The problem is that the seats are tilting back too quickly causing that arm to break loose, and they either need to adjust/reinforce something in the arm or somehow adjust the breaking to prevent that from happening.

I'm going to speculate now, my guess is that the seats are snapping back as fast as they are intended to, but the cylinder is set to tight and can't keep up with the fast snap of the seats and therefore the emergency release is activated.

I would suspect that they have spares of these cylinders, as they should get some wear on them, and then need to be replaced/overhauled continuously.

WOW! That drop looks scary! Wonder why they rotate the seats before the train slows and doesn't create as much "whip" on the riders.

In case anyone wanted to see an off-ride test drop that I filmed on Tuesday (4-22), you can click to the link below.

^I noticed that too. It seemed like it came undone at the bottom not in a violent way, but as if it wasn't attached for the whole way (looks like there were holes for bolts in it to mount to the seats - I couldn't imagine all of the bolts would have snapped). Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't cause too much issues.

Looks like they are trying to sell Scorpion.

Yep, that's definitely Twist and Shout. Scorpion has no shrubbery within its footprint, as the ride is themed to being in the dessert.

Plus Busch Gardens confirmed to us during the Falcon's Fury construction tour that Scorpion is an important entry-level coaster for the park's younger guests.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Went to the park today for a short visit and update. Most of Pantopia is now open! I did not witness anyone working on the drop tower today and it is still behind walls.

image.thumb.jpg.c9eca6803dd51a82bbdbb2d9c2afdc04.jpg

Ride sign

image.thumb.jpg.73a72c0799a80177e94e88df2df2baed.jpg

Bacon Pretzel Fury! It is quite yummy!

image.thumb.jpg.7129ef7f3d51da3ddc5ffda8bcfb36a0.jpg

The gift store is now open.

image.thumb.jpg.e75298ed15a6c84eb4fee151a359ae33.jpg

The lighting in the area proves to be quite interesting.

image.thumb.jpg.4c8380cafd8e0f8c53a22caa088e7a64.jpg

Through the trees!