TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

This looks like a great choice! SCBB never disappoints! I realized earlier today that they probably don't want to put in a Eurofighter or an El-Loco because they have to keep the Giant Dipper the main attraction. I'm glad they went with Maurer Sohne instead of Gherstlauer.

Like a earlier post, this is a great addition and will work well as a replacement to Hurricane! It complements GD nicely. I love the name and the colors! Does anyone know where the station/queue is going to be?

Also,some people are saying that Waldameer has a clone of this, anyone else have anything to say about that coaster?

I realized earlier today that they probably don't want to put in a Eurofighter or an El-Loco because they have to keep the Giant Dipper the main attraction.

I think the main reason is that an El Loco is nearly twice as tall as the XC-2000 (50' vs. 100'), and anything taller than Hurricane is out of the question. When you add on the height of the deck, and El Loco would top out at around 130' tall (which is taller than Double Shot), and would likely never be approved by the city.

------

To add another perspective to the new ride announcement, I'm a little disappointed that the park couldn't craft a custom design for the ride, especially with all the space clearing they will soon be doing in the area. Too add to that, Hurricane was only supposed to be a 10 year ride, which would mean it should have been removed in 2002. With over 10 years to think up a plan for a new roller coaster for the deck, I'm surprised the Boardwalk didn't want something really special and unique. It's going to be a great ride, and I'm really looking forward to it, but I can't help but think they took the easy path, picking a ride that can easily be packed up and shipped out when its time for the next ride (which may have been the plan all along).

TL;DR: The Boardwalk it known for its unique rides (Dipper, Cave Train, Haunted Castle, Fright Walk). Why not add to that collection with a custom layout that incorporates something unique and different, instead of going with the off-the-shelf model.

This is the same layout as the one

for Crush's Coaster at Disney Paris Studios.

(Minus the front add-on dark ride part, of course.)

Which was a pretty good spinner, I remember.

Never been on a Maurer Sohne spinner. How are they compared to the Gerstlauer ones?

I've been on Seabreeze's Maurer model and three of the Six Flags Gerstlauer models, and I'd have to give the edge to Maurer, although I'd say all of them work quite well as quality family rides that can be fun for anyone. I prefer their outward-facing seats over the Gerstlauer face-to-face car design, and the greater variety of turns helps accent the spinning with some interesting visuals as well.

This'll be a great addition to the park.

To add another perspective to the new ride announcement, I'm a little disappointed that the park couldn't craft a custom design for the ride, especially with all the space clearing they will soon be doing in the area.

While I guess they could have gone with something else, it's possible that Maurer Sohne doesn't necessarily make custom versions of this ride. It looks like they make about 3 models, and the one at Disney is the most custom one they have made. Getting a completely different design would no doubt have added a significant extra cost, and for this type of ride it probably wouldn't make the experience any different. Sure those that know would notice the route was unique but the average SCBB going person wouldn't care at all. This ride should also be pretty easy to sell if and when the time comes, a custom design fit to their space much less so.

This is a designed to fit in a tight space, is what it is type of ride.

Edited by SLUSHIE

Maurer Sohne doesn't necessarily make custom versions of this ride. It looks like they make about 3 models, and the one at Disney is the most custom one they have made.

All of these are custom Maurer spinners. They could have had a custom one, but you're right, the standard models are probably cheaper, plus these are great layouts anyways! I love the one at Seabreeze!