TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll 2009!

^^See, that bothers me as well. Sans track, Voyage's structure is made entirely out of steel. Does that make it not a wooden coaster? No! But it could be argued!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone wants to disqualify El Toro, Balder, T-Ex, because it is a prefabricated wood coaster. So be it! But! It would be remiss if they didn't take the same consideration with a coaster that has primarily no wood in in it's entire structure.

Either that, or create a altogether new category for wood hybrids. In which case both could be included.

Guy "Does this argument hold any water at all?" Koepp

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Not really. People should just suck it up and vote in the poll.... HONESTLY.

Wow, what a concept, huh?

Actually vote for the roller coasters you like the best and *NOT* try to sabotage one or two rides because you fear that other people's opinion might make it so that *your* favorite coaster isn't #1.

There doesn't need to be any hybrid list or anything like that, people just need to be HONEST.

But we all know that will never happen, sadly, because humans can be horrible, horrible creatues.

--Robb

^^To me, it's a matter of "who cares" whether it's a "real" woodie or not. I like the three Intamin woodies I've been on and that's enough for me. They're certainly closer to woodies than steel coasters. They couldn't do inversions with them.

And it's not like you can't get that "woodie character" on the Intamin woodies: Just ride on one of the wheel seats in Colossos towards the back of the train. Not really that smooth.

Just fixed a few errors on my ballot. I'm very pleased to see Diamondback in top 10 and top 20's...escpecially when it's higher than Behemoth!

Go Diamondback!

Gotta support my baby. I ranked it #9 on my list. I ranked it above MF, Afterburn, Steel Hawg, Freeze, and Tornado; but below Maverick, Goliath (SFOG), Shockwave, Cornball, and Voyage.

Amazing. I just don't understand some people's creepy, fanatical hatred of the Intamin woodies. I just had someone on my Facebook tell me that they are "not real woodies."

Alvey

I really think anyone that thinks this should be smacked with a board, then with a piece of Intamin track, and then let us know if they can tell the difference.

This sounds like a job for Scientist Ice Bat...

dt

Actually vote for the roller coasters you like the best and *NOT* try to sabotage one or two rides because you fear that other people's opinion might make it so that *your* favorite coaster isn't #1.

--Robb

Agreed! Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was responding to the person who wrote you about Intamin woodies not being real wood coasters. I took for granted that this person was an Intamin "hater." Probably a Voyage fanboy. That person just needs to not put any of the Intamin coasters on their ballot. But, using their own ill conceived argument, it would be an embarrassment for him or her to include any coaster that uses any other kind of material except for wood. Which would then mean they would likely have to remove their favorite "wood" coaster from the ballot as well. As we both know,people are douchebags! and that's not going to happen if it means that they and their coaster are not #1! So that person chooses to use their ballot to sabotage the entire poll.

What they don't understand is that these "sabotage" ballots get removed from the poll entirely. Funny thing is, they actually hurt their coasters ranking because their ballot has been removed therefore their #1 choice has also been removed. So the whole thing backfires for them anyway.

The end problem kinda solves itself. Which is cool! The only problem that still exists is that fanatics are still Douchbags. And as we all know, that problem will never go away.

Guy "Is that better?" Koepp

Amazing. I just don't understand some people's creepy, fanatical hatred of the Intamin woodies. I just had someone on my Facebook tell me that they are "not real woodies."

Alvey

I really think anyone that thinks this should be smacked with a board, then with a piece of Intamin track, and then let us know if they can tell the difference.

This sounds like a job for Scientist Ice Bat...

dt

I'm sure Ice Bat could get a government grant for this project.

WHAT?!?!?

Um, they are "made out of wood!" How are they not "real" woodies.

The amount of creepiness some people have over this stuff really scares me.

--Robb "It's one thing to be enthusiastic, it's another to be fanatical." Alvey

liseberg_07_271.jpg.3ee5106d8787a7a540c94bc6eb499be9.jpg

If they're still unclear on the differences between wood and steel, then just invite 'em to try this on Kanonen.

There doesn't need to be any hybrid list or anything like that, people just need to be HONEST.

But we all know that will never happen, sadly, because humans can be horrible, horrible creatues.

--Robb

People just need that security blanket that their favorite coaster is everyone else's favorite coaster. The approval of everyone else validates their feelings. I feel sorry for them as people if they're THAT insecure about what they enjoy. I'd love to see Voyage at #1, it's my favorite wooden coaster, but I still voted El Toro #2 because, well, it's my 2nd favorite wooden coaster. What a concept!

--Steve "Intamins are still wooden tracked so what else would you call them?" Burant

For me, the plug-and-play rides don't feel like what I expect from a wood coaster. I don't deny their construction material, but they don't make it into my top ten for that reason.

There's no doubt in my mind that T-Express, Balder, and El Toro are great rides (no comment on Colossos, especially in the last year or so) but if I'd bothered to fill out a poll they'd all sit somewhere in the mid twenties.

Not in the one hundreds mind...

I look at it this way. There are 130 or so coasters on a list that I have ridden. Those coasters happen to be labeled as Wood Coasters.

Then I rank them from my favorite/most enjoyable to less favorite/enjoyable. Pretty simple concept if you ask me.

Regarding people who "enjoy" El Toro but purposely rank it low. To me this is akin to rating your favorite Pennsylvania coasters and ranking Phoenix below the Wild Mouse at Dorney because Phoenix is a "Texas" coaster.

It's been observed before but it's well worth repeating Intamin woodies are more made of wood than The Voyage with it's steel supports.

I made a mistake by not putting the "y's" in on my wood ballot because I rushed it and then resubmitted a corrected ballot which was acknowlegded as received but the original incorrect ballot was listed so I have resubmitted the corrected ballot again. I hope he fixes it.

I look at it this way. There are 130 or so coasters on a list that I have ridden. Those coasters happen to be labeled as Wood Coasters.

Oh absolutely. What I was trying to say was that - for me - those rides don't rank anywhere near my favourite wood coasters. If there was a combined wood and steel poll I don't think I'd put any steel coaster in the top ten. Hopefully that's a bit clearer!

It's been observed before but it's well worth repeating Intamin woodies are more made of wood than The Voyage with it's steel supports.

I made a mistake by not putting the "y's" in on my wood ballot because I rushed it and then resubmitted a corrected ballot which was acknowlegded as received but the original incorrect ballot was listed so I have resubmitted the corrected ballot again. I hope he fixes it.

I'm glad the support structure isn't the basis for classification. Then Gemini would be a wooden coaster and Voyage, Cyclone, Ravine Flyer II, and so many others would be steel! What a crazy world that would be!

And so that was YOUR ballot that had all the "n's" and was embarrassingly labeled by Hawker. Shame on you! :gradmawithrulerslappingwristemote:

^I realised my error and submitted a corrected ballot straight away and that was accepted so I don't know what happened there. I've sent the ballot again, so here's hoping it gets fixed this time.

I have no idea why I did my wood poll from scratch this year.

If they're still unclear on the differences between wood and steel, then just invite 'em to try this on Kanonen.

LOL! Thank you! I've just used this example on my FaceBook.

The first person that comes back and says "Well I can fly to Cedar Point and do that on Gemini" I'm going to block from my friends list!

And I totally get that people have their own opinions about what they like don't like, what should feel like a woodie and what doesn't, and I always respect that. What I don't respect is:

1. When someone tried to tell me my opinions are wrong because they differ from someone else's and

2. When someone goes out of the way to prove their opinions are correct by purposely making someone or something else look bad.

In my opinion, if you're that insecure about what you have to say, maybe you should just crawl back into the vagina you came out of...and stay there.

--Robb

In this ballot, poor old Leap The Dips, couldn't get this girl's No. 1 rating and it was her only coaster. I would have thought with Kristen's love of Frog Hoppers that abrupt ejector airtime would have rated highly.

~"Kristen Alvey"

Abrupt Airtime_____________________________,y,y,5

Floating Airtime___________________________,y,y,1

Lateral Forces_____________________________,y,y,6

Out of Control Feeling/Directional Changes_,y,y,4

Positive G's/Loops_________________________,y,y,3

Sensation of Speed_________________________,y,y,2

Leap the Dips Lakemont PA,y,n,2

------------------------------------------------694Ballots so far = 694

^Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they just keep raising and raising those junior woodie requirements. Once again, I think she'll be getting many more international credits than domestic!

Although the problem with all the international credits this summer is the stupid Metric System! 36'' in America is the next big height which she'll be well past, where as in most of Europe it's 1 Meter which is over 39 inches (which I don't think she will hit by the Summer).

^Savages, those Europeans with their evil metric system, though we have it too.

It will be interesting to see Kristen's reaction when she rides her first giant coaster, and I've seen some small kids on rides like Millennium Force.

Back to the poll, the steel one looks like the usual suspects, though Blue Fire might be right up there,