TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll 2009!

I hope you all did your civic duty in the wooden poll and voted Rampage nice and high. (OK, that was the last shameless plug of the thread, I promise!)

Hopefully it gets back in the top 20 this year, last year was its first year EVER outside the top 20.

I voted Rampage #12!

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TPR Mitch Hawker tour - SFNE, Compounce, SFGAdv, over the Atlantic, Alton, Holiday Park (not World Voyage fanboys), Liseberg, over to Asia, Everland, Tobu Zoo.

I'm ready to put in my deposit!

I'm still bummed I missed Superman Escape when I visited Movie World.. Scooby still ranks at best coaster experience ever though! I must have ridden it 20 times that day...

The TPR Mitch Hawker tour - SFNE, Compounce, SFGAdv, over the Atlantic, Alton, Holiday Park (not World Voyage fanboys), Liseberg, over to Asia, Everland, Tobu Zoo.

I'm ready to put in my deposit!

I'm still bummed I missed Superman Escape when I visited Movie World.. Scooby still ranks at best coaster experience ever though! I must have ridden it 20 times that day...

Movie World seems to have a knack of combining a dark ride with a coaster really well, Superman Escape does it nicely as well. I have no idea when they'll do another coaster though.

I dream of a Mitch Hawker Land - here's the line up: Expedition GeForce, Bizarro (ex SROS), Boulder Dash, El Toro, Balder, Kawasemi, T-Express, & Nemesis - totally absurd commercial wise but I'd go. Of course you can't leave Mitch Hawker Land until you have voted. Sydney would be an ideal location, at least for me.

I have to admit my taste in coasters has evolved over the years, I had never heard the term airtime before 2003 but maybe that was because the only parks I had been to in the US before 2003 were in Cali.

I think I am starting to appreciate GCI more this year, unlike the Intamin and other woodies that rip you out of you seat. GCI's have moments where it feels like the whole train has left the tracks and is flying.

^That's all too true about GCI's. I've grown more and more of an appreciation for them every time I've ridden a new one. Now half my wooden top 10 is GCI. They aren't anything huge or overbearing, just solid rides. I think the only GCI I don't enjoy even a little bit is Gwazi, and that probably has a lot to do with the PTC's and the absurdly slow crew that ride always seems to have.

^That's all too true about GCI's. I've grown more and more of an appreciation for them every time I've ridden a new one. Now half my wooden top 10 is GCI. They aren't anything huge or overbearing, just solid rides. I think the only GCI I don't enjoy even a little bit is Gwazi, and that probably has a lot to do with the PTC's and the absurdly slow crew that ride always seems to have.

Gwazi has one of the worst operating procedures I've ever seen, with the checking the seatbelts THEN locking and checking the lap bars... So ridiculously slow.

^If I ever got hired by Busch Gardens, my first order of business would be to change how Gwazi operates. I timed them when I went there back in June, they averaged about 3 1/2 minutes (and at times went well over 4 minutes) per cycle from when the train stopped in the station to when the train left the station. That's ludicrously, insanely, perpetually, horribly, unbelievably absurdly slow.

Rampage could cycle in less than half that time with exactly two operators for an entire day.

I hope you all did your civic duty in the wooden poll and voted Rampage nice and high. (OK, that was the last shameless plug of the thread, I promise!)

Hopefully it gets back in the top 20 this year, last year was its first year EVER outside the top 20.

I had it #2 on my list.

It really impressed me. Although I hated it after the 1st ride, but then it grew on me as I rode it more.

While the results aren't available yet, the completed ballots are.

People gave us crap for ranking T-Express #1 last year in the wood coaster poll. Now I see that people have purposely ranked it #135 out of #146 this year in an effort to dethrone it. I find some people incredibly pathetic and childish. But it at least shows the amount of influence people think Theme Park Review and its members have in this industry! (Too bad that person missed out on Eagle's Fortress!)

If anything, I think seeing something like that just speaks volumes for Theme Park Review and more importantly, our members. You didn't see anyone from TPR "rigging the poll", just us giving our honest feedback.

And that earns my respect towards all our members. I have little respect for the people in those "other clubs" who rig a poll just because they didn't like that some of our members liked a roller coaster more than their favorite roller coaster. F**king pathetic and childish.

--Robb

^Don't they try to weed out the "suspicious" polls like that and not count them? I mean I've never ridden T-Express (and probably never will), but from the looks of the POV and the reviews I've heard, there's no way in hell anyone would rank it that low. It just murders the integrity of the poll, and I would think if these people wanted it to be accurate they wouldn't purposely sabotage it like that.

^ That was the only one I saw that really stood out, IMO, although I didn't really look at them for closely. It just stood out because, even if you're not into the Intamin Plug and Play style of coaster, there is NO WAY it ranks between Mean Streak and Rattler on anyone's list!

It was done on purpose, and from what I can tell it looks like someone that was on the ECC trip to Korea this year.

I know if someone from TPR did that, I would at least send them an "nice" email and politely tell them to not bother f**king taking the poll anymore if they are going to do that kind of childish, stupid crap that makes everyone else and the poll look bad.

Like I don't care if *my* favorite ride is number 1 or not, but I care that other people are sabotaging the poll (and I'd feel the same if they did it for ANY coaster that deserved to be in that top tier section) when someone like Mitch works so hard to make it as "clean" as he possible can.

--Robb

^ That was the only one I saw that really stood out, IMO, although I didn't really look at them for closely. It just stood out because, even if you're not into the Intamin Plug and Play style of coaster, there is NO WAY it ranks between Mean Streak and Rattler on anyone's list!

It was done on purpose, and from what I can tell it looks like someone that was on the ECC trip to Korea this year.

--Robb

So what coaster did they put as their number 1?

Wait, let me guess...

Just for the hell of it, I searched for T Express on the ballots page, and only one participant ranked it outside of their top 20 (the person Robb mentioned). Of course, I might've missed something.

I have no opinion on T Express because I've never ridden it, but it looked great on video.

I found someone with El Toro ranked as #75 out of 80. Interestingly, they've got Voyage as #1.

I did a quick Google search on this person's name and found that they're also into the "9/11 Truth" movement. Quality person all around.

I found someone with El Toro ranked as #75 out of 80. Interestingly, they've got Voyage as #1.

Amazing. I just don't understand some people's creepy, fanatical hatred of the Intamin woodies. I just had someone on my Facebook tell me that they are "not real woodies."

WHAT?!?!?

Um, they are "made out of wood!" How are they not "real" woodies.

The amount of creepiness some people have over this stuff really scares me.

--Robb "It's one thing to be enthusiastic, it's another to be fanatical." Alvey