TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll 2009!

Before we have to delete anymore Prowler posts...

For the THIRD TIME NOW...I am not judging the coaster at all!!!! I am saying that it will not be in the top 10 next year!!!!

Look at Troy, Thunderhead, all the GCI's...they start stong, then quickly fall.

And guess what, I'll ride it next year then REALLY judge it...and guess what...I won't hate it! I'll rank it right with all the other GCI's!!!!

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New GCI's always do well at first, but then fall as people realize that they're all very similar. And as the locals that pump them up so high in the poll slowly start to ride other stuff or forget to rank then as high as they initially did to try and prove a point. If anything I'm shocked that Terminator did so poorly as at least that ride offers something VERY different.

I think Terminator was only at #22 because SFMM has a lot more well traveled enthusiasts visiting so Terminator's rank is not as skewed. I expect to see Terminator slide a little with the new coaster smell wearing off in 2011.

By the way, how come wooden traditionalists have a problem with Intamin's Plug and Play technology but not Gravity Group or GCI's ability to do overbanked, particularly 90 degree turns? Riding GCIs and Gravity Group through overbanked turns certainly doesn't give you a traditional wooden ride either.

By the way, how come wooden traditionalists have a problem with Intamin's Plug and Play technology but not Gravity Group or GCI's ability to do overbanked, particularly 90 degree turns? Riding GCIs and Gravity Group through overbanked turns certainly doesn't give you a traditional wooden ride either.

Because wooden trationalists are fanatical and insane?

Why can't some people just go on roller coasters, and enjoy them, and not get so bent out of shape over them?

--Robb

I think Terminator was only at #22 because SFMM has a lot more well traveled enthusiasts visiting so Terminator's rank is not as skewed. I expect to see Terminator slide a little with the new coaster smell wearing off in 2011.

Thinking more about it, I think you're exactly right. That also explains why rides like Troy and Prowler start off so high, then quickly drop off as more well traveled people eventually make their way to ride them.

Pretty much everyone went out this year and got on Terminator...many less people bothered to get to Prowler.

Because wooden trationalists are fanatical and insane

Don't forget - They're also so damned hyped up on saving older, dilapidated, boring coasters, that travelling outside of their comfort zone (be it county, state, province OR country) that nothing else matters.

I remember a few years ago (7-8), that there were a couple of "enthusiasses" who BOLDY proclaimed that any coaster outside of the USA automatically was inferior, due to the FACT that USA was #1 in EVERYTHING!

Having now traveled a bit myself, I see how ignorant that statement really is.

JJ

Holiday World is like, 60 bucks away from Cincinnati. Go for it.

I would, but unfortunately I don't live in Cincy, I just go to school there, and when I'm there, I don't have my car (parking is much too expensive there). And my major doesn't really allow for weekends off. In fact, I've never had a weekend off in the 2.5 years I've been there. This is my predicament. It took me until this summer to finally get to Kings Island after being in Cincy for two years. That's another thing though, I don't have summers off anymore and I co-op every other quarter, so a a lot of times I'm away from anywhere interesting coaster-wise. I was in Orange, Texas last quarter, but unfortunately didn't have the time to leave for an entire weekend to visit a park. I did get to ride the Boardwalk Bullet though which was a nice time.

I think the biggest problem though is the fact that I literally have zero coaster enthusiast friends, or friends that want to go anywhere other than Cedar Point. I like Cedar Point as much as the next guy, but in terms of wood coasters, it's pretty mediocre. Blue Streak is fun, but not world-class and Mean Streak...well, I don't even need to go into that. At least one of the best friends I've met in Cincinnati likes amusement parks more than average, and hopefully we'll be able to get to some during coming vacations. But I need to find some roller coaster lovers at UC. There are quite a few parks within a relatively short drive from there that I've never visited and would like to.

I remember a few years ago (7-8), that there were a couple of "enthusiasses" who BOLDY proclaimed that any coaster outside of the USA automatically was inferior, due to the FACT that USA was #1 in EVERYTHING!

That's pretty amazing since the two top steel coaster companies are Swiss. And it's been that way for a long time. Sure the US can still make a great wooden coaster, but for steel it's like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. Or a Timex to a Rolex.

That's pretty amazing since the two top steel coaster companies are Swiss.

But Joe, that is a matter of opinion (one that both I, and the polls, tend to agree with).

There are still people out there that absolutely sing the praises of Magnum, still saying that it's a "top ten" ride. Being that it was made by Arrow, AND it's at Cedar Point AND it's an American company, "validates" their opinion.

The only thing that really surprised me about the poll was Fireball. I thought it was a good, solid ride, but I only ranked it at #17.

As for the GCI's - I really like them. They're fun. But, almost all of them feel the same after awhile. I suppose that even Terminator (my #18) will drop over time. I still love Troy (my #8) and could ride it for hours (which I have!). But my favorite GCI is still the (SBNO) Ozark Wildcat (my #2, behind T-Express), which I'm afraid I'll never ride again. It's just a kick ass ride to me.

I think it's just fun watching how some rides fall in the polls year after year, and the staying power of others.

Classic examples:

Ghostrider (#55 on Mitch's, #100 on my ballot, (previously, my #1-years ago)) -

Look at the fall that it has taken over the years. It WAS a great ride. Lack of care and proper maintenance over the years has taken it's toll.

Coaster (PNE)(#23 on Mitch's, #10 on mine) -

This tiny coaster continues to hold it's own against all of the newer, bigger, faster rides that come along. Just an awesome ride.

I enjoy the discussions created by the results. But NO results are worthy of giving ANYONE the right to take an "I told you so" or "You'll see" attitude, here or anywhere else.

The results are simply a measuring stick to show others where to find better (and/or worse) rides than what they may have ridden, and can hopefully plan on riding in the future.

Mitch's poll is simply the best. Please take the time to thank him for his continuing to do this year after year.

JJ

Because wooden trationalists are fanatical and insane

Don't forget - They're also so damned hyped up on saving older, dilapidated, boring coasters, that travelling outside of their comfort zone (be it county, state, province OR country) that nothing else matters.

Having now traveled a bit myself, I see how ignorant that statement really is.

JJ

I'm calling BS on this statement.

How can you say you, "have now traveled a bit." Didn't you migrate here to the US back when the Russian / Alaskan ice bridge was still intact? This would have you traveling several thousands of years ago. You can't pull the wool over my eyes with an argument this thin.

Guy "GO MITCH!" Koepp

Thinking more about it, I think you're exactly right. That also explains why rides like Troy and Prowler start off so high, then quickly drop off as more well traveled people eventually make their way to ride them.

but it was the year of your first stop at Toverland that Troy ranked so highly, and probably half of the significant voters who rode Troy that year were on that trip, so I'm blaming TPR for skewing the poll

^^LOL but it wasn't the American's the ranked it so highly. If I remember correctly that was the year that a ton of random Europeans took the poll and tried to get Troy and Black Mamba as the number one wood and steel.

Quite frankly I didn't understand all of the hype over that ride other than it was GCI's first mainland Europe ride which was probably pretty nice for the Europeans.

but it was the year of your first stop at Toverland that Troy ranked so highly, and probably half of the significant voters who rode Troy that year were on that trip, so I'm blaming TPR for skewing the poll

Good point! We can also blame TPR for Voyage being #1 again because of the 2007 Midwest Trip.

^ Those bastards!

If I remember correctly that was the year that a ton of random Europeans took the poll and tried to get Troy and Black Mamba as the number one wood and steel.

yup and EGF dead last right? Stupid Germans

I still love this poll. Though I didn't vote this year, the algorithms used still fascinate me.

PROWLER IS THE BEST EVER HOW CAN YOU BLASHPHEME ELISSA!

Just kiddin i've never ridden it!

The results look good to me, My old number 1, Pheonix, is holding strong with a bunch of great new woodies, and my number 1, Thunderhead, is sitting at a nice 11.

I emailed mitch a big Thanks but ill do it here to, THANKS MITCH!

Because wooden trationalists are fanatical and insane?

Why can't some people just go on roller coasters, and enjoy them, and not get so bent out of shape over them?

--Robb

A-freaking-men. It's pretty sad how there are some who are SO hellbent on getting their favorite coasters to the top of the polls. It's not life or death, it's roller coasters. Sheesh.

That being said, I thought Prowler was pretty awesome. But I thought Evel Knieval was better, which I rode the day before and had a pretty instant comparison of the two (although my EK rides were at night and Prowler was during the day, might have made a difference).

AND HOORAY FOR RAMPAGE BEING BACK IN THE TOP 20 WHERE IT BELONGS!!!!!!