TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Does the British public eat this sort of marketing up? I mean, the enthusiast community all thinks it's stupid, sure, but does the GP?

Not really, but it gets the parks in the papers. When Thorpe made lots of stuff up about their new ride that they got this season it made it into all the tabloids. The mission is column inches, that's what Th13teen did, that's what storm surge did, I'm sure it's what AT's new ride will do and it appears to be what Thorpe are going to do with this ride.

I'm guessing they're going to tie it into the theme as "the swarm" throwing the piece into the water or something.

Dave

Was at the park yesterday ( couldn't bother to ride Storm Surge) and the place was PACKED! There were 100min quenes to all the mazes, and all the fast tracks for them were sold out.

Stealth was easily the most awsome ride, but Nemesis was the best. After having ridden Kanonen and Speed Monster, I gotta say that the launch on stealth makes them look like small school girls. It is that much more intense, I almost blacked out trying to keep my hands up all the launch track. I was also very impressed with Saw, after what I've heard, the ride was really awsome. Colossus is good fun, but do have the rattle, and I only did it once.

Slammer was down wich was a bummer, and Rush only operated 1 swing. All of the flatrides had 1h+ lines, so I only did Rush and Detonator.

The lines were REALLY horrible all day, and if I was going again I would easily buy the all day fasttrack for 55£.

Now onto Swarm, it looks very impressing and intimidating in real life. After watching pictures of it online I tought it looked kinda ugly with it's special first drop, but in real life it is probably the most awsome looking ride i have ever seen, exept from maybe Stealth.

All in all Thorpe was a really nice park, and I'm probably going back next year to ride Swarm, but don't go on Fright Nights!!

Just found out (through Screamscape and UK press) that the park's

Canada Creek Railway is closing for good after November 6th.

I liked that little train ride, esp. when it used to go to that

family petting farm, and then back and around the flume ride

before it reached the station.

Terrible decision! Do they not understand that families still visit? They won't be able to get rid of them, families will still visit and end up getting annoyed as a result of there being very little family/children's attractions! If Six Flags parks and Cedar Point can have family rides, why can't Thorpe Park? Every thrill park will need calmer attractions anyway, no one wants to ride the more intense rides when they've just had their lunch.

Anyway, another Swarm update at Fotowhizz

Favourite picture, love how it's so visible from the entrance!

Terrible decision! Do they not understand that families still visit? They won't be able to get rid of them, families will still visit and end up getting annoyed as a result of there being very little family/children's attractions! If Six Flags parks and Cedar Point can have family rides, why can't Thorpe Park? Every thrill park will need calmer attractions anyway, no one wants to ride the more intense rides when they've just had their lunch.

When you have two parks in the area that better cater to families (Chessington, Legoland) it is a good idea to have a different niche.

Yes but families still like to visit thorpe park and they expect to see some rides that the whole family would enjoy. Whilst Thorpe should cater for the thrill seekers, they shouldn't scrap every family attraction. Another thing, there needs to be a mix of more relaxed attractions in between the thrills anyway. At least they've added the embarrassment that is Storm Surge though.

Edited by Rollercoaster5000

^For me the railway lost it's purpose when they took out the farm so I'm not that upset to see it go.

I agree with you about the need for more relaxing and family attractions in the park but maybe with the train out of the way it will open up some of the remaining pockets of land for Thorpe Park to build more family rides on? Although ultimately Larry has hit the nail on the head, with Chessington and Legoland in relatively close proximity they're aiming for a different market now.

Does Swarm have the same Layout as X-Flight at SFGAM? Even though Wild Eagle is on top of a freakin mountain, I think the layout and interactive themeing elements of Swarm are much more impressive. That dive drop looks awesome.

Not quite. Very similar though, the wing over drop on the swarm is similar but it actually inverts and twists the opposite direction.

From what I have heard on another forum, a new flat ride will open in 2013 on the CCR and Miss Hippo's Fungle Safari site.

Edit - new Swarm update from ThemeUK

Supports for the inclined loop, corkscrew and inline twist have been erected

I glad to finally see a drop that I've been making for years in No limits come to life That picture makes that first drop/element look pretty wild, I'm sure it's going to be pretty unnerving for some sitting in the front looking at it twist and drop like it does. That's why I'm so glad SFGAm is getting X-flight b/c I know I won't be getting to Thorpe anytime soon to try this amazing looking drop there.