TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Air part 2 was supposed to have a pretzel loop, so you would at least get something Europe has never seen. I was actually excited about a new custom B&M Flyer. There's no way it would have been as lame as Air, with less height restrictions compared to Alton, and the fact that it would have been B&M's 4th flyer model, not the first.

May I introduce to you Mystery Mine Two - What If There Is Light At The End Of The Tunnel?

Personally I think this is Thorpe showing they cant come up with anything unique to save their lives. This is like Mystery Mine version 2 really, I mean its a mine theme and also it has the moving cogs theming by the lift. Personally I think they could have done alot better but thats my opinion.

I will be reserving my judgement of the final ride until its complete and that is if the ride has planning permission granted. They will have alot of problems I think because they want to remove some tress and from what i've seen some of them are very very old trees.

Also can I please remind everyone what happened with Stealth theming such as the grandstand queueline. That had permission accepted then suddenly it wasn't there anymore. Thorpe have a habit of getting permission for something then doing something very different when it comes to theming.

Honestly...how many people over there has ever heard of mystery mine let alone dollywood! I dont see anything similar to this and MM at all. This coaster actually looks much larger and longer than MM and it seems to be an exclusive outdoor coaster. I applaud the park for installing this UNIQUE looking coaster rather than some off the shelf B&M or intamin coaster and went a totally different route. I would rather this park get this coaster than what it has been doing the last several seasons an that is getting virtually the same coaster that alton towers has but their own version. It's like having mcdonalds and burger king on the same block. Both offer the same things but one is slightly different...but the same thing. Having ridden MM I think these coasters are quite fun and a plus for any park that opens one.

They're also getting rid of the trees behind Samurai.

I always liked that bit too - although the back is surrounded by green (plants to keep) there is a huge blob of red so there could be some left, but the 'wall' probably gone. *We get a wall of coaster instead.

I wonder if when it goes very close to loggers leap (flume) it has the same charm as when the runaway mine train goes though the same tunnel as the rapids at Alton. Or will it just take hiding space away from the bears.

Even if it does end up a flop which i don't think it will at least we will be able to walk under one of the final in line twists on colossus.

Cheer up people - be happy! Ignore the ride type and the fact you have seen it all before. It looks like a great rounded ride. I've seen cheese burgers before and still want them everywhere i go. After all I finally get a dive loop somewhere in my annual pass!

Air part 2 was supposed to have a pretzel loop, so you would at least get something Europe has never seen. I was actually excited about a new custom B&M Flyer. There's no way it would have been as lame as Air, with less height restrictions compared to Alton, and the fact that it would have been B&M's 4th flyer model, not the first.

Personally, I wanted to see something other than Intamin/B&M (breaking the mould), which is why I applaud the (in my opinion) fantastic looking Gerstlauer Eurofighter plans.

I'll be riding Superman: Ultimate Flight (Great Adv) next year, so will be able to experience the pretzel loop element first hand. Maybe my low opinion of B&M flyer's will change after this

I think this is a great looking investment for Thorpe Park. Its nice to see that they haven't just put in a Spinning Maurer Sohne like Alton's last coaster which is what usually happens. Its a unique custom ride which will impress 99% of the people who ride it. Like has been said already, who of the regular visitors to Thorpe Park has ever heard of Dollywood?

Lets be more positive, we could have ended up with a small Dive Machine with no height or another Air. Don't get me wrong Air is great but it is it's uniqueness that makes it a winner for Alton. If they copied it at Thorpe you lose that.

I for one am excited and will look forward to riding this fun looking coaster. I think the drop and roll in the station building looks great, and a dive loop

Love some people's opinions not only on here but elsewhere about the B&M/Intamin bumming...

According to park legend, the decision on the coaster not being a Flyer was due to the Alton guys saying how mechanically annoying it was for them, and considering Thorpe's record with dodgy opening of rides, doubt they'd want another AIR problem...

People will still go on it, the mainstream will probably love it, especially over here, the over 90 degrees gimmick isn't THAT well known, hardly anyone knows of Oakwood, so Rage is probably more known due to Southend being within reasonable driving distance to London...

BUT it looks good, apart from the lack of SRQ on it

And bluea61, Chessie got the other Maurer Sohne, and of course, both went through numerous issues, so I doubt Tussauds/Merlin would wish to get more off them...

And Pretzel Loops aren't that good, Tatsu's was an annoyance more than anything... Dunno if smaller ones are better, but big ones suck... OPINION

It's a nice touch for TP to add a Euro-fighter for 2009, should get their attendance up and move people from AT.. The south always loses out from the North of England.

My only worry with most Euro-fighters are, the layout is always compact so you can't enjoy the ride for very long.

No "pretzel loop" or "Bent Cuban 8" inverstions are annoying. TP should of pushed EF coasters to a new level..

I'll be happy to ride it, much better than "boring" 1 trick pony "Stealth".

*points at sig* I personally LOVE if they got something similar to MM, albeit longer. That was my one complaint of the ride. MM has fantastic theming, the ride's full of suprises, and of course the past-verts are bliss, not to mention that finale.... IMO, Gerstlauer makes great rides, and are a nice improvement from riding a bunch of BM or Intamins...(though I am an Intamin lover aswell)

And bluea61, Chessie got the other Maurer Sohne, and of course, both went through numerous issues, so I doubt Tussauds/Merlin would wish to get more off them...

I was just making a point of this not being a copy really. Dragons Fury is the better of the two IMO.

I thought that they were filling in the lake near the hospitality area for a new land / coaster. It's situated to the right as you enter the park, sort of adjacent to Stealth and Tidal Wave.

Theres adding (and taking away in remote places) land everywhere, which is good, they can, are and have been moulding it into loads of islands. Its a real life RCT

• 2 months later...

Nope, plans are in. They just need permission from the council, and seeing as they've allowed much bigger projects than this before, it shouldn't be too hard to get permission. No hurry though, it'll open early '09 and eurofighters go up pretty quickly, Rage at adventure island was up in about 3 weeks, and that spongebob one is coming alomng quickly too.

We're just at that "we have to wait for the crappy council to make up their minds" stage.

What the crap kinda rubbish recreation is that, it looks like it was thrown together in like 5 minutes.

Whats so bad about it? Will be interesting to compare it to the final POV. I thought it was a pretty good effort myself.

As for the next stage, like Dave said we're waiting for the council to make up their minds. There's not going to be much to report until they do, asides a little infilling of the lake and suchlike. I believe the project has already been mentioned in staff newsletters, but the next big stage is the official announcement from the park and construction photos. If Thorpe do what they did for the last coaster Stealth, there was a mini website setup following the construction anyway, with preview videos posted of the ride and surrounding area, much like a lot of other rides recently.

Tussaud's (or British Merlin parks but I like calling them Tussaud's) need to get their act together, this has got to be the biggest copy of all time. I missed the days of John Wardley when their theming and designs were completely original. I know most people in England haven't been to Dollywood and this ride would proberbly do the park well but still...

I also don't agree with the supposed 'Texas chainsaw Massacar' theming, it might put off a few people.

Well at least its something!

(I think chessington needs a new family coaster personally but I doubt anyone agree's but who knows)

Im not saying the rides crap, Im just saying, if you ever sent this out to someone without telling them what it was you would get, its got way to many jerks, and its very odd...I was rating it based on the track, I mean the rides cool, but I was just rating it like any other NL track I see.

Wait...was this created by a fan, if it was then yes thats very well done, I thought it was the company who did this. Thats why I was saying it looked like rubbish, ok thats great if someone just did it based off of the designs they gave us.

^Yes it was created by a fan, so I see where you were coming from with the previous post. Had it been the official video I would have to agree it would be a little disappointing.

^^It may be a copy, but then does it realllllly matter? Like you say, I bet if you went up to people at the park and asked them about MM at Dollywood about 95% of them or more would be likely to stare at you blankly and wonder what the hell you were going on about. Thats the problem when you're into coasters, you know what exists elsewhere and tend to compare it with other things. Not long ago I was talking to someone about Stealth, and she had no idea that TTD or KK even existed, she just thought Stealth was tall and fast. I do see your point but I don't think it will take away from the ride.

As for Texas Chainsaw Massacre theming that does seem a bit weird to me aswell. I guess it would be more about being chased by some crazy person with a chainsaw than seeing people get cut up. Just have to wait and see.

Tussaud's (or British Merlin parks but I like calling them Tussaud's) need to get their act together, this has got to be the biggest copy of all time. I missed the days of John Wardley when their theming and designs were completely original.

John Wardley is involved with this one...

His current projects include the creation of a major new attraction for Thorpe Park for 2009, and a new children's adventure park in Kent.

Purplepills, the park have already confirmed it

Press Release

27th November 2007

THORPE PARK - DEVELOPING THE THRILLS

In line with the Thorpe Park’s Medium Term Development Plan, application for full planning permission for a new rollercoaster in 2009 has been submitted to the Runnymede Borough Council. This can be viewed on the Runnymede Borough Council website, www.runnymede.gov.uk (ref: RU.07/1230).

The German manufacturer Gerstlauer have been commissioned to build one of their trademark Euro-Fighter roller coasters which, subject to planning permission, will open in Spring 2009. Based in the Canada Creek area of the Park, the new coaster will comprise of Gerstlauer’s unique and innovative ‘beyond vertical’ drop from a breathtaking 100ft before travelling through a number of different thrill elements customised for Thorpe Park.

Peter Ronchetti, General Manager, comments:

“Thorpe Park has developed significantly over the last decade to create one of the UK’s most popular attractions for thrill-hunters. We have invested over £35 million since 1998 in exciting new rides and attractions including Stealth - Europe’s fastest rollercoaster, Colossus - the world’s first 10 looping rollercoaster and Nemesis Inferno the 4.5 G-force experience.

This new development for 2009 will further add to the park’s impressive ride portfolio and firmly establish Thorpe Park as the UK’s most thrilling attraction with a wide range of adrenalin pumping rides.”