TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

I have been hoping for a map overhaul from Thorpe for a while now. I could not bare the chaos of the old map, however, I am disappointed that they seem to have forgotten the other rides they have in the park it's all coaster, coaster, coaster . I will make a personal judgement today when I go to the Annual Pass preview day, hopefully it wont be as bad in the hand.

^Im pretty sure its actualy impossible to get lost at Thorpe Park. All you need to do is just look at the ride you want to go to and walk in that direction. Or if its Colossus your after just listen for an awful noise and head in the direction of the sound!

-Craig

I noticed on both maps, there's only way way to go, to get to SWARM.

Is that true? Why don't they put a path-bridge at the top of the 'island there'?

I would think traffic could/would flow better, even if from both directions.

Actually , this reminds me of the entrance and exit of ToonTown in DL.

Which can still be a mess, with strollers and crowds funneling thru the "tunnel".

^ You are correct there is only one way to get to and from Swarm. I have never had a problem with it during my visits (and these visits have been on some of the busiest days) and traffic tends to flow well.

I went to the preview day yesterday and was pleasantly surprised, the staff where all very friendly and chatty, operations where good with most of the coasters being more than one train operation. The park was a lot quieter than I expected but I think this was due to Thorpe limiting numbers. The atmosphere was a lot more family orientated than I have experienced before. Ride Count

Swarm 6, Stealth 6, Saw 3, Collosus 1 (why you would do any more than this is beyond me), Nemsis Inferno 2, Flying Fish 1, Loggers Leap 2 and Rush 1

All in all a very enjoyable day and makes the price of the annual pass worth it. I think the preview events Thorpe puts on are awesome and wish Alton would do the same!

The Swarm will be accessible from both directions in the future, when they develop the land on the adjacent island next it. Eventually this will form a loop and connect with the area behind Rumba Rapids.

There's already a space for the future path between the low turnaround and final turn.

I was at the Annual Pass Preview day at Thorpe Park yesterday. We arrived around 9:45 and were let inside the park promptly. All rides seemed to be running apart from Samurai and Slammer. (Slammer was testing though). Rides seemed to be running really well. Saw was excellent in the front row and dreadfully in the back row. We rode Colossus in the second row from the back and it was as smooth as anything. I had high expectations to be bashed, bruised and beaten by the end but I was pleasantly surprised.

Stealth and Swarm all ran superbly too. Inferno was down to only one train so queues built up for that. X is now just a very strange and weird ride. We actually rode it 3 times just because it was fun. The coaster itself isn't terrible, especially now it's forwards and does a complete cycle without stopping.

Staff were very pleasant and the weather was perfect.

Onwards to Alton next weekend!

• 3 months later...

I have a question about the Summer Nights.

I plan to visit the park on Fr. July 11 and the website says the park is open from 10am-6pm, Summernight starts at 7pm.

Does the park really close for 1 hour and all people have to leave and buy an extra ticket for the night?

How crowded do you think the park will be on Friday day and night? (Or on Saturday 12?)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question about the Summer Nights.

I plan to visit the park on Fr. July 11 and the website says the park is open from 10am-6pm, Summernight starts at 7pm.

Does the park really close for 1 hour and all people have to leave and buy an extra ticket for the night?

How crowded do you think the park will be on Friday day and night? (Or on Saturday 12?)

Evening all, in answer to Flotus's question, I'm not sure how the operations for that event will work, but at other Thorpe Park events I have been to, namely Fright Nights (quite a while ago, mind), I didn't have to leave the park at all. Best to email or phone customer services beforehand to ensure you don't encounter any nasty surprises.

Going off of my experience in the park today, I assume the park will be very busy. Queue times exceeded 60 minutes for most of the major rides, especially the water rides, and didn't really subside much until very close to closing time and even then it was still 20 minutes for Stealth.

In other news, I entered Samurai's area just in time to witness the ride break down with passengers still on it. Fortunately, the arms had stopped no more than 25 feet off the ground with all passengers upright. Nobody was in any danger but it would have been an unfortunate disruption to the day. Also down for the whole day was Tidal Wave, putting massive pressure on the other water rides. Detonator had a stoppage later on in the day, as did Stealth but both of these were resolved quickly and were back in service before the days end.

I took some photos and video of the Samurai breakdown, if someone can tell me how to upload these here, I'd be happy to share them.

I was at the Annual Pass Preview day at Thorpe Park yesterday. We arrived around 9:45 and were let inside the park promptly. All rides seemed to be running apart from Samurai and Slammer. (Slammer was testing though). Rides seemed to be running really well. Saw was excellent in the front row and dreadfully in the back row. We rode Colossus in the second row from the back and it was as smooth as anything. I had high expectations to be bashed, bruised and beaten by the end but I was pleasantly surprised.

Stealth and Swarm all ran superbly too. Inferno was down to only one train so queues built up for that. X is now just a very strange and weird ride. We actually rode it 3 times just because it was fun. The coaster itself isn't terrible, especially now it's forwards and does a complete cycle without stopping.

A Mondial ride not running?!? You don't say!

Glad to hear Colossus is running decently.

A Mondial ride not running?!? You don't say!

Glad to hear Colossus is running decently.

I was on the second row from the front today and it was like Dot Cotton's smokers cough first thing in the morning.

Yes they should build a woodie on the next island we can hope right! I hear they got a flow rider for summer!

Stu K

I'd be surprised if we saw a woodie at Thorpe. I just can't imagine the locals would be happy about one.

You are correct they have had a temporary flow rider installed in Neptune's Beach for the "Summer Fun" event. I believe it's an up charge but still it's a great idea.

Angry Birds Land in Sarkanemmi park was a total surprise to me.

I knew it had been planned and built, but I had no idea what to

expect in the "land" itself. Big surprise. It was great! Really enjoyed

just walking through it all.

So I wish Thorpe Park all the best with their plans for an Angry Birds Land.

2098792752_ResizeofIMG_5927.JPG.055a9d1183ee9ea900a4293374d9b090.JPG

Angry Birds Land from the tower. 06-27-14

• 2 weeks later...
Evening all, in answer to Flotus's question, I'm not sure how the operations for that event will work, but at other Thorpe Park events I have been to, namely Fright Nights (quite a while ago, mind), I didn't have to leave the park at all. Best to email or phone customer services beforehand to ensure you don't encounter any nasty surprises.

Going off of my experience in the park today, I assume the park will be very busy. Queue times exceeded 60 minutes for most of the major rides, especially the water rides, and didn't really subside much until very close to closing time and even then it was still 20 minutes for Stealth.

I visited the park in the meantime and despite the staff there telling me that people have to wait the 1 hour at the dome, people were siting and waiting at various places in the park unchecked.

The extra Ticket for the SummerNight is 5£ if you have a ticket for the day.

Parking fee is a bit weird. For SummerNight it is free and since you have to pay when leaving the park, parking day + night is completely free where parking day only is 5£.

I first went to The Swarm which had a short (~20min) but quickly growing queue. I lreally like the coaster and it's my favorite coaster in the park. Only the backward seating was not convincing. The near miss elements can't be seen and there was nothing else really "special" about the backward ride.

Stealth was not operating for the first 3-4 hours. When it later went on, it felt like it's moving over the top faster than Kingda Ka producing more airtime.

Saw and Colossus had queues of 70-90min, Nemesis and Stealth ~ 40min. Even most flat rides >30min. However some of the queue times shown were quite wrong, especially towards the evening.

In the SummerNight all coasters were reduced to single train operations and the park was rather empty. All rides were almost a walk on and later you could reride as often you like. In the ~2,5 hours of the SummerNight I managed double as many rides than in the 8 hours of the normal day.

• 4 weeks later...

So today I ended up going back to Thorpe Park with a few guys from my work for a random trip. Normally I would do a trip report but as is Thorpe I will just add some pictures of random things that are going on around the park. Enjoy!

IMG_3607.thumb.JPG.8a5e7a76dd5ca89648cb809d44523138.JPG

This is Swarm. Moving on.........

IMG_3611.thumb.jpg.1e85fa35757621b79b8d533629cf36a8.jpg

SLAMMER WAS OPEN!

IMG_3614.thumb.JPG.2532d5c26f73e357fc368134e8696fca.JPG

This fountain hasn't worked in years.

IMG_3619.thumb.jpg.4d0af6c82fc0b236eb804c633fbb1cea.jpg

I ate Colossus

IMG_3625.thumb.JPG.969e1abf807615525b1cd4b01e6a46b5.JPG

Tidal Wave made people moist

IMG_3634.thumb.JPG.3963f4e5e389a85e0d57df7a58d36c0c.JPG

Saw is now home to many many pigeons.

IMG_3636.thumb.jpg.efbcd29ced028d929f3cb4b90817cb2d.jpg

The park have been trailing a Smartphone/Keycard based QBot system for FREE!

IMG_3633.thumb.PNG.d114076aeb405c5a0b9284e1a6b1d10d.PNG

This is what the web based QBot currently looks like.

IMG_3639.thumb.JPG.346eaf71f9765eea8a9b003bb1ca46b6.JPG

As it is a trial all the entrances for it are very temporary! Honestly the system is GREAT as you would expect from LoQ. There is a few bugs in the system but I believe these are being looked at and I am personally hoping that this will all replace the crappy fastrack system the park has as early as next year!

IMG_3642.thumb.JPG.8022a22f1ceb72fdc17360995054a65c.JPG

There was live music through the day even though it seemed very auto tuned.

IMG_3643.thumb.jpg.89c2981be2d801ffd94d4fc6ceab9032.jpg

Flowrider at Thorpe?

IMG_3644.thumb.JPG.e1242d78d35b56c62df7301f52512aee.JPG

OMG YES!

IMG_3637.thumb.JPG.339e5282808e230b63a0e57ae42b39d8.JPG

Maybe with the success of this Alton Towers will look at getting a permanent one for Splash Landings!

IMG_3640.thumb.JPG.80f108182cb5d106f721cd505cfe118f.JPG

And finally Fright Nights are coming up but the park doesn't seem to be pushing it that much. I only saw a handful of signs around.

Over all the park was pretty good. Some staff were fantastic, others made me want to drag eyeballs out of my skull so I didn't have to watch their horrific operations.

-Craig

Why are all of your so called TR so negative? Hard to know why you bother to be honest.

I think thats kind of unfair, I don't really see negativity in the TR, he talks about how great the new reservation system is. What I see is someone who regularly visits and so can point out flaws against previous visits or things that can be addressed. I think this is true for many people's TR's who frequent the same parks over and over. Look at most of the SFMM and Fuji Q TR's by people who have frequented the parks often or my own Everland TR's compared to when I first visited Korea. There's a big difference between being negative just to hate on a park and appearing negative because you are comparing to earlier personal experiences.