TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wow, now I wonder if they are testing out a backwards chasis for every coaster type now that we have one invert, one hyper, and one wingrider. Like someone said on the last page, is there a floorless or stand up coming next?

Well, those are all current designs they are still producing. When was the last time they made a Stand-Up coaster? And I think the most recent Floorless was the yellow one in China right? And Before that, it had been a while. It'd be cool, but those other designs may not get them if this is indeed initiated through B&M.

While that is true, this could be a cool way to bring some new life to those older attractions.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Away with Oblivion go directly to Griffon. Joke of coarse but I like the Idea.

Hollywood dream at Universal Studios Japan

Thanks. Man somehow this is getting out of hand, and I like it.

Just to have it clear, is the reversed seatings for a limited time or a keeper? (Swarm then of coarse)

While I think it might spice up a lumbering and lackluster latter-day B&M, I have to say this has a faint odour of desperation from both B&M and Thorpe Park one year after opening the ride.

While I think it might spice up a lumbering and lackluster latter-day B&M, I have to say this has a faint odour of desperation from both B&M and Thorpe Park one year after opening the ride.

How is this desperation on the part of B&M? It's the park's choice, B&M just enables them.

I don't think its desperation from Thorpe Park at all, I think they had either been considering this since the concept for Swarm came about or they did not quite get the response they were hoping for figures wise and are hoping this will make up for that loss this year.

-Craig

I think it all boils down to, B&M has something to sell and the park wants to buy. The reverse chassis are good for parks because it is an inexpensive way to add a new ride experience, even if the ride is only one year old. And this differentiates SWARM from the other Wingriders. It is good for B&M because money.

You know I won't end up surprised if B&M is going to make Shuttle versions of there coaster, anytime soon. I mean who don't want to ride a shuttle Wing rider?

But it's getting a hype of reversing trains. Of coarse I would love to do at least 1 B&M backwards.

I know the decision to make the change to The Swarm has been quite popular in the UK, but for me I don't like the idea and that's because my favourite seating position on The Swarm, was the back row!

I just don't think it'll be fully appreciated as a full ride experience from the back row anymore.

The back seat of Oblivion turned around would be brilliant. I think it would add a great sense of dread that the front seat already has.

As for Swarm, I can't wait to hear what the first drop feels like turned around. Sounds like an amazing modification to a lackluster B&M.

The back seat of Oblivion turned around would be brilliant. I think it would add a great sense of dread that the front seat already has.

As for Swarm, I can't wait to hear what the first drop feels like turned around. Sounds like an amazing modification to a lackluster B&M.

DON'T LOOK UP

What if you were on the holding brake at the top of the drop, facing backwards, looking up and a bird poops on you! That would be all sorts of nasty.

Also I don't know why I just thought of this, is there any word if Thorpe have installed a secondary on ride photo camera to capture the backwards rows. Also I think this will effect the on ride videos as well as now the front and back rows will not be able to be filmed as there will not be a row in front of the back to mount the camera too. I wonder how something like that could effect sales. Im not sure about how popular the DVDs are but I assume it will effect it in some way.

-Craig

Not sure how I feel about this. I think the Swarm is a good ride as it is, and this seems a bit unnecessary. I'm sure it'll be fun, but I'm just not a fan of coasters going backwards (unless they're shuttles of course), it's a tad gimmicky.

Though I do agree that a backwards dive machine would be quite incredible, especially Oblivion with its tunnel.

I've never been to this park, but I've seen plenty of pics of Colossos. It looks awesome, and I know it as the place where Robb proposed to Elissa, but I've heard its become unbearably rough over the years. That's unfortunate, because I like a steel coaster with a lot of loops, and I don't see too many of those nowadays.

It seems to me that the problem is the OTSRs, which is the same issue for a lot of old Arrow multi-loopers. It's puzzling then that Thorpe doesn't seem to want to fix the restraints in some way, either fit the trains with the improved restraints I've seen from other Intamin steelies, or just put in lapbars, like Premier did for Flight of Fear, Jokers Jinx, and the like. There's really no need for OTSR's on standard sit-down loopers, so I wonder why some parks still insist on them.

I've never been to this park, but I've seen plenty of pics of Colossos. It looks awesome, and I know it as the place where Robb proposed to Elissa, but I've heard its become unbearably rough over the years. That's unfortunate, because I like a steel coaster with a lot of loops, and I don't see too many of those nowadays.

It seems to me that the problem is the OTSRs, which is the same issue for a lot of old Arrow multi-loopers. It's puzzling then that Thorpe doesn't seem to want to fix the restraints in some way, either fit the trains with the improved restraints I've seen from other Intamin steelies, or just put in lapbars, like Premier did for Flight of Fear, Jokers Jinx, and the like. There's really no need for OTSR's on standard sit-down loopers, so I wonder why some parks still insist on them.

The problem with Colossus for me is the trains and as you say, the restraints. They are horrible (in want of a better word), if you're tall but are carrying a bit of weight or your body is toned up, you'll probably find that you will really struggle to close your restraint down and if you do get it down and your belt secured, you'll be in for a really unpleasant ride on Colossus.

I am a big fan of Thorpe Park but I don't like what they are doing with the Swarm this year and Colossus for me is the weakest coaster in the park (excluding the Flying Fish) and possibly one of the weaker ''major'' coasters in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been some time since we heard from the park so here a Update of the new Billboard of the Swarm:

Source: http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/RBCNGE/ngeResultsForm.aspx?intref=RU.13%2f0125

Here some pictures:

You go through it when you're exiting the 0 G roll. Also they seem to do some edits on the ground around it but i guess just the missing pieces of the Billboard.

To get you more into the idea of how it will look on his place.

And the Billboard it self. Apparently there was a contest on Facebook about what it should say. I guess we need to wait about that since the contest is over.

What do you guys think about this edit? I think its makes it look more like a city but I already thought they had enough for the Swarm.

• 2 weeks later...