TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Good job, Doug!

Glad to see these two new attractions coming to DL. They definitely needed something more in the water park and the Super Loop will be a nice addition to the ride side - I think I would probably rather ride Rolling Thunder than UFO.

While I certainly didn't mind UFO, you had to carefully choose your placement on the ride or you would be holding on for dear life if you were on the left side of car spinning in the clockwise direction.

I remember being terrified the first time I rode it many, many years ago and I got on that left side. I was panicking because I kept slamming into the door/bar every time I would fall in the downwards direction and thought for sure that I was going to slide out between the safety door!

Nice job on the logo and tag line, Doug. Great to hear that you'll be posting construction photos on social media as that has been one area that DL has not been very good at in past years.

How many other names were considered before choosing Rolling Thunder? The first thing I thought of was SFGAdv's defunct racing coaster when I saw the name.

Nice one, Doug. Good color combo (did you pick that as well?) the name's not cliche, and it appears that you might have used some of Larson's schematics in the details of the logo (where anything that delves into the engineering always gets bonus points from me) and I'm actually cool with the tagline.... because you really can't control the roll, as there is only pitch rotation.

How many other names were considered before choosing Rolling Thunder? The first thing I thought of was SFGAdv's defunct racing coaster when I saw the name.

The first thing 99.99% of Darien Lake's guests will think of when they see the name is not the former wooden coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure.

Overall, this a very solid duo of attractions. They nicely narrow the gap of thrilling non-coaster attractions. I'm especially jealous of that slide complex, Brain Drain. Effectively using a compact space, this marquee water attraction will dramatically make Splashtown more attractive to teens and other thrill-seeking guests. The suggestion box at another park nearby has already been filled as they look into replacing some aging speed slides that occupy a tight, narrow spot.

This Larson Fireball/ Super Loop is a really stupid idea, and They are dumb enough to try to pass it off as a Coaster? IT IS A FLAT RIDE!! It does pretty much the same thing as the Huss Ranger, and if they put it where the UFO was it will be close to where the Ranger is. CNL Just sell the damn park!!!

I can provide a little insight on the tagline, as I actually came up with it and created the logo.

I felt that the logo needed something to balance it, as having the train at the top made it feel top heavy without a tagline. I also don't think it's THAT corny. But I'm obviously bias.

EDIT: Image didn't attach for some reason. Here we go!

thumb_logo_export.jpg

Looks good, but do you think these guys will have a problem with it?

This Larson Fireball/ Super Loop is a really stupid idea, and They are dumb enough to try to pass it off as a Coaster? IT IS A FLAT RIDE!! It does pretty much the same thing as the Huss Ranger, and if they put it where the UFO was it will be close to where the Ranger is. CNL Just sell the damn park!!!

Well at the very least Darien Lake has 2 new rides that I'm sure will pack a good punch. That is something good, right?

They aren't calling it a cosster.

I can provide a little insight on the tagline, as I actually came up with it and created the logo.

I felt that the logo needed something to balance it, as having the train at the top made it feel top heavy without a tagline. I also don't think it's THAT corny. But I'm obviously bias.

EDIT: Image didn't attach for some reason. Here we go!

[attachment=0]logo_export.jpg[/attachment]

Really . In that case, did you also make the preview video? I thought that both the logo and video were done very nicely. The preview video especially reminded me of the ones made by Cedar Fair and Six Flags for their rides.

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

How many other names were considered? - I'm not sure. I've heard two other names mentioned, but I'm not sure how seriously they were considered. The name was our GM's brain child.

Colors - Colors were decided for me, but that's OK! I actually like the color scheme!

Announcement videos - I edited the videos as well. Ride footage was provided to me, but putting it all together, selecting the royalty-free music, and creating the animations was all me. Here are a couple stills from Blender, the animation software I used.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423926449.158555.jpg.060b012a5e156e625aa192738d2b0cb7.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423926465.773267.jpg.0f9bea39de1a635bf2f21d183d8ad30e.jpg

This looks like a good addition to the park. I still haven't made the trip to Darien Lake but its on the list of relatively close parks that I'm going to try to get to this summer.

Some general comments on the Larson Super Loop (not specifically related to Rolling Thunder). I like the lighting package shown on the live footage of the Super Loop however I was disappointed that Larson doesn't have lights on the actual train. I would think with the design of the ride, it should be relatively easy to provide power to the ride at all times through a power strip inside the track or something.

I know this is more a question for the maintenance department, but have you heard anything about two train ops Doug?

I unfortunately do not know the answer to that at the moment. I'll look into addressing this sometime in the future though.

At first when I heard that DL was putting in a Super Loop, I was pretty bummed. But I have to say, the fact that they are putting in both the Super Loop and the new slide complex has me very excited! Sure, it's not the coaster that we all want, but it's defiantly going in the right direction! Also, they have done a remarkable job on the internet marketing of the new attractions...the GP defiantly seems excited about it. I really hope that they take advantage of social media and post construction photos when that starts, it would be a great way to get people excited.

I'm not sure anything from Batman : The Escape is savable by now, since the coaster's track was in storage outdoors and exposed to the element for 9 years. I would imagine that there is no chance of Darien Lake to rebuild the coaster at all, the only plans that they would have for it is scraping it.

Okay so I take it back. You guys were right "They didn't call it a coaster" It still is a stupid idea, and what I said before still stands. Too close to the Ranger which does the same thing. I get the idea of adding a new flat right, but I think it was not thought trough very well. Tons of flat rides to chose from. They just jumped on the wagon, and got what everyone els is getting. A whole bunch of parks getting same portable carnival ride.

If the ridemstands no more chance of operation, then let's sell it for scrap and ise the extra money towards park improvements like painting ROS and Mine Eraser and maybe some new stamped concrete like they put in at Rowdy's Ridge and Boardwalk areas