TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Doug, to me marketing always seemed terrible with the park. You seems to be doing a great job with it so far.

I think if on the facebook and twitter pages for the park during the season, every day go out take a picture of a different part of the park, and drum up some excitement on the pages, I think it would go a long way.

Doug, to me marketing always seemed terrible with the park. You seems to be doing a great job with it so far.

I think if on the facebook and twitter pages for the park during the season, every day go out take a picture of a different part of the park, and drum up some excitement on the pages, I think it would go a long way.

I have some plans. Honestly right now it's hard to tear myself away from the desk and go in-park, as social media is just a small aspect of my job.

Our wonderful interns will defiantly help give us the bandwidth we need to really shine on social media during the season. And once construction gets interesting I'll find time to get out there and take some photos.

Personally, I think that if Cedar Fair had bought Darien Lake from CNL, that the park would not really end up like Geagua Lake. But more like a cross between Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park, and Geagua Lake and they wouldn't add any new rides or Snoopy to Darien Lake.[/quoteI

Don't think Cedar fair would leave it status quo, and customer relations would vastly improve. Cedar point is always adding new rides to Dorney Park. As a matter of fact didn't Demon Drop get transplanted into Dorney. I can't really speak for Michigan's Adventure. I have never been there. I would be just as excited if HFE got it. Just as long as CNL, and Premier are out of the picture. Darien lake already had a bad past with Premier.

Darien Lake actually had a pretty good past under Premier management. It was when Premier acquired Six Flags that things went south. Premier added coasters almost every year 4 years in a row and waterpark expansion at least two of the years.

I am hoping for one of two things. Premier owning the park at which they will continue to add coasters and thrills to the park. The second thing would be HFE to buy the park from CNL or from whoever CNL sells to and then adds great themeing that they already started and turns the park into something like Silver Dollar City. It will not be major coasters and thrils, but the overall park atmosphere will be fantastic and the park will be very well rounded

Anyone here think maybe Ride of Steel should get a new name? Since the Superman name dropped off I often thought the ride needed a new theme, and renamed. Ride of Steel is kinda evident. I mean it's obviously a steel coaster.

Well if the predator isn't goanna get it's transformation then I don't see any reason We can't call it Lake Monster. That would be a fitting name. Paint the Track from red to green. Steel Beast sounds good too.

Darien Lake actually had a pretty good past under Premier management. It was when Premier acquired Six Flags that things went south. Premier added coasters almost every year 4 years in a row and waterpark expansion at least two of the years.

I am hoping for one of two things. Premier owning the park at which they will continue to add coasters and thrills to the park. The second thing would be HFE to buy the park from CNL or from whoever CNL sells to and then adds great themeing that they already started and turns the park into something like Silver Dollar City. It will not be major coasters and thrils, but the overall park atmosphere will be fantastic and the park will be very well rounded

It wasn't until Premier acquired Six Flags that we saw all the new coasters, and The Twister. It will be interesting to see if Lightning strikes twice. Without the Six Flags name, and ownership of the park premier will likely not add anything substantial. Face it as long as CNL is in the picture Darien is doomed to status quo.

It wasn't until Premier acquired Six Flags that we saw all the new coasters, and The Twister. It will be interesting to see if Lightning strikes twice. Without the Six Flags name, and ownership of the park premier will likely not add anything substantial. Face it as long as CNL is in the picture Darien is doomed to status quo.

I realize Premier shares the same name and a couple of the same people as the old Premier that used to own DL, but honestly, HFEC is more likely to add major coasters and thrills than Premier if they somehow end up with the park. HFEC has the big $$$ and you'll notice the huge rides that have been added to SDC and DW just in the past decade. Plus they were the ones looking into transforming Predator. Premier is still a pretty small company that doesn't own very many big properties outright. HFEC would come into this wanting to transform the place into a regional resort destination while Premier would want to continue the general trend of building it up as a large amusement park.

I think either company would want to get a new headlining attraction into the park within the first few years of ownership, but growth would probably be slower under Premier than HFEC.

And just to be clear once again, as long as CNL owns the park, CNL pays for what goes into them, unless I am missing something here. You can't really blame any of the operators for capital expenditures until they actually own the place. They seem to get to pick what the capital expenditure budget is used on, but they don't have much to work with.

I know I'm with you on this. I am hoping for Herschend, or Cedar Fair will buy the park. Adding these 2 rides is just a way for CNL to see if they can boost attendance in the park for 2015. From what I hear on this forum the 2014 season did not go so well. As far as I have heard CNL is still trying to sell, but will only sell all parks bundled together. Darien, Elitch Gardens, and I believe Pacific Park. I believe they did offer it to Herschend as a package, but Herschend only wanted Darien. From What I heard. I would love to see what Herschend could do with the park without the CNL overlords

If Herschend really wants the park they will make an appropriate offer or wait until CNL realizes they get a better offer. Herschend is not going to buy more then they want and CNL is eventually going to need the money.

I would rather see a roller coaster or dark ride go into the Galaxy Theater than a new show. Maybe both. The building is tall enough to have a dark ride on the ground floor and put a compact coaster of sorts on a second level. But that is just wishful thinking, I'd never expect that from Darien Lake in a million ka-jillion years! Let alone any new coaster at all!

I thought they said the orientation of rolling thunder would be parallel to the giant wheel in the press release, thus creating two large circles on the same plane when looking at the park. This does not look to be the case at all. I am however glad that they could get construction started early and maybe be able to do an extra small project or two if the money is there.

Also does anyone know if vekoma ever built newer trains for slc's to not create so much head banging? If so that would be a great investment in the future

Vekoma did make newer trains since Morey's Great Nor'easter got them. Not sure how much better they are as far as headbanging is concerned.

I took a trip with a few friends to Morey's last year. The new trains made the ride 100x better. Although the layout of SLC's make the ride rough anyways, the headbanging was virtually gone. Considering that one of ME's trains are broken anyways (still after about 3-4 years), it would be a smart investment for the park.

It's good to see that the park has begun construction. The weather has been a little iffy, but it will give the park better rep if Rolling Thunder opens with the park. Blast Off was supposed to in 2013, but because the ride was used, a lot of bugs had to be worked out. This should be a good year for the park as long as the weather doesn't cause as many problems.