TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I am hoping that these "rumors" are false and are actually a distraction from what really is being planned. But if they are true I will try my best to look at the positives. It is hard for me to believe that BGW will built a roller coaster like this.

It is hard for me to believe that BGW will built a roller coaster like this.

Why? The ride is really good! It probably has a higher capacity than when Wild Izzy was there. And if a park like Cedar Point can have Wicked Twister, why can't BGW put in one of these?

I'm kind of okay with the coaster itself but apparently they're going to be ripping out a lot of green space for the Festa Italia expansion. For a park that consistently wins awards for its landscaping it seems kind of unusual.

Also, it looks like it will be built right near Apollo's Chariot's lift hill? Wouldn't that look a little weird?

^To be fair, I've always thought Griffon absolutely ruins that money shot of Loch Ness and Alpengeist. Very ugly in the way it doesn't come down to the river but instead sits a good thirty feet above it. The S:UF steel might look interesting...or it could really make the drive in to the park way look more Six Flags-ish.

^I disagree with this completely, but different people have different tastes. I think this is one of the most impressive groupings of coasters you'll find anywhere.

And Robb makes a very good point here:

It is hard for me to believe that BGW will built a roller coaster like this.

Why? The ride is really good! It probably has a higher capacity than when Wild Izzy was there. And if a park like Cedar Point can have Wicked Twister, why can't BGW put in one of these?

Wild Izzy always looked "temporary" and was just an average ride; yet some local enthusiasts were upset when they replaced it with Curse of DarKastle (I wasn't in that group, as I was very pleased when they announced DarKastle).

As usual, I take a "wait-and-see" attitude when it comes to new rides, and I'm looking forward to a more "official" announcement from the park.

Edited by cfc

Some of the resistance to the type of coaster in speculation strikes me as enthusiast elitism and snobbery. It's not like the installation of this clone will be taking up the space or denying the opportunity for any future attraction.

The only thing that makes me a little more optimistic about the notion that it could be a Superman clone, is that it could end up with those fast-switching station platforms like Bosque Magico just announced their version will be having.

At the end of the day, a new coaster is never a bad thing. And a new coaster at Busch Gardens is especially a good thing. I like to believe that if they really are adding a ride like this, there will be some kind of thematic element and operational benefit that justifies it beyond what we as the enthusiasts can speculate on from the outside.

Some of the resistance to the type of coaster in speculation strikes me as enthusiast elitism and snobbery. It's not like the installation of this clone will be taking up the space or denying the opportunity for any future attraction.

Football fans have "armchair quarterbacks." Coaster enthusiasts have "armchair park operators."

Football fans have "armchair quarterbacks." Coaster enthusiasts have "armchair park operators."

Word.

Some of the people on here and other places (fan site and Screamscape) are comparing the "alleged" new ride's capacity to Apollo's Chariot. I only see that as an issue if the park announces and markets the ride as the next Griffon or Apollo's. We're only two years removed from the park introducing a pretty high capacity attraction in Verbolten. It's not like this "horrible decision" (Lance's words) will cause people to not attend the park. If the line is too long for the park goer, they'll go ride something else.

Remind me why we believe this won't have dual loading? I get that some aspects of the planning documents have to be accurate, but is it possible that whatever gave us that impression was a "placeholder" image that simply indicated the height or other dimensions, but was not meant as final word on the loading? Or that it's a change they would be allowed to make or announce later on versus now? It seems they were keeping things open to change.

With the one in Mexico announced to have multiple trains, I am positive that this one will. Mexico just beat Busch to the announcement. Since the two coasters have the same time frame, Busch likely was presented with the same multi-station option.

On top of that, if Premier knows they can move these things quickly they might do a mass production run of some sort. I'm sure it is cheaper for them to manufacture 2+ copies of the same ride at the same time than spreading them out. I wouldn't be surprised if another one was announced for this year or next year at another park. Since these are compact and cheep "big coasters", they are ideal for smaller parks. Smaller parks have smaller budgets and thus Premier has to cut costs to be able to provide it at a budget price. The best way to cut cost of anything is to mass produce it. I could see these things ending up everywhere.

keep in mind guys, if less money is spent on the ride, there is more money in the budget for theming! I'm sure Busch will make this thing look incredible. The ride will have more than one station, the capacity will be fine.

Remind me why we believe this won't have dual loading? I get that some aspects of the planning documents have to be accurate, but is it possible that whatever gave us that impression was a "placeholder" image that simply indicated the height or other dimensions, but was not meant as final word on the loading? Or that it's a change they would be allowed to make or announce later on versus now? It seems they were keeping things open to change.

I agree. I doubt that the "little map with boxes on it" is the last word here.

Come to think of it, I'm wouldn't surprised at all if BGW got SUF clone. I was a little skeptical about a park like this getting one, but as someone mentioned, there isn't a ride like this for miles, which I think could help attendance. If the one in Mexico is getting a dual station I don't see why this one won't. Also, I've never been on these rides and I would like to try them out myself, regardless of the mix opinions I've heard. And the location for this ride isn't bothering me as much anymore. I think it would be pretty cool going up Apollo's lift and seeing this ride in action right next to you.

With the one in Mexico announced to have multiple trains, I am positive that this one will. Mexico just beat Busch to the announcement. Since the two coasters have the same time frame, Busch likely was presented with the same multi-station option.

On top of that, if Premier knows they can move these things quickly they might do a mass production run of some sort. I'm sure it is cheaper for them to manufacture 2+ copies of the same ride at the same time than spreading them out. I wouldn't be surprised if another one was announced for this year or next year at another park. Since these are compact and cheep "big coasters", they are ideal for smaller parks. Smaller parks have smaller budgets and thus Premier has to cut costs to be able to provide it at a budget price. The best way to cut cost of anything is to mass produce it. I could see these things ending up everywhere.

keep in mind guys, if less money is spent on the ride, there is more money in the budget for theming! I'm sure Busch will make this thing look incredible. The ride will have more than one station, the capacity will be fine.

It actually depends on the capacity at Intermountain Lift, Inc., as they Fabricate all Columns and Track for Premier Rides.

It will be interesting to see how smooth that transition will be, once the train is going at full speed.

I have never ridden Mr. Freeze but do you feel any "bump" when the train goes over the joint (between transfer track and "normal track")? It still is going a lot slower during that stage, though.

Anyway, I obviously hope Busch go for this option and I'm sure premier will make it work well.

I have never ridden Mr. Freeze but do you feel any "bump" when the train goes over the joint (between transfer track and "normal track")?.

Not at all (Well at least for the one at SFSTL, haven't ridden the one at SFOT)

Edited by Woodie Warrior

I have never ridden Mr. Freeze but do you feel any "bump" when the train goes over the joint (between transfer track and "normal track")?.

Not at all (Well at least for the one at SFSTL, have ridden the one at SFOT)

I've ridden both, and there's no "bump."

For those of you looking for a faster transition over a 'transfer' type of track just think of the ones on Everest at Animal Kingdom. You're going much faster and forwards and backwards over them and they're seamless.