TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I smell bs on that story of events.

Like Pure had said and I fully agree this issue took place at the top of the tower. If the car was only 20’ feet from the ground and they saw cables falling, they would have smacked the ground most likely and def. gotten everyone’s attention minus the snap sound alone plus the sound of the cable wipe back sound inside the metal tower cylinder and the sound traveling thought the structure.

It sounds more to me that the cables did snap closer to the middle of the ride as opposed to the top. Only because by the riders' reports, once the cables snapped, the car continued upward which draped the cable onto the riders and caused some minor cuts and bruises.

If the cable works like a pulley with the pulley axel at the top, and it snapped when the car reached the top, there would have been no excess cable available to hurt them above the car .

Settling out of court avoids the publicity of a trial and keeps the terms of the agreement private. Six Flags wouldn't necessarily pay less, but they would reduce the press coverage of the ordeal and avoid having headlines that

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. But at this point SF is not admitting any type of blame. Imagine if this girl is to give her accouts of the events that led to her losing her feet. Just her trying to approach the witness box in front of a judge and/ or jury and then give the same type of story that she gave to the papers would be heartbreaking. Now add in the grief the parents went through that day and since the accident happened, yeah, I can see her getting a larger settlement if SF does not settle out of court.

What confuses me is that there should not be that much of a question as to where the car was when the cable snapped. As a lawyer (I'm not a lawyer, though I am working on it) the first thing I would do is find out who was there to see the incident. The girl who was hurt is a pointless witness because her memories are going to be distorted. However what about the other riders? People standing around the ride? The ride op? Security Camera's pointed in the right direction? The list could go on and on of all the potential people I'd call.

If I was the attorney for the plaintiff I would call the girl to the stand. The judge and the people on the jury (assuming this is a jury trial) are human and they're going to see a girl walk to the witness stand without a foot. She could be a powerful witness just through her own presence.

If I was an attorney for the defense however I would try to show maintance records. I'd show the training of the employees in running the ride. The injured party was, under American tort law, an invitee which means that Six Flags had a duty to her to warn her hazardous conditions which cannot be fixed, and fix those conditions that can be repaired. I'd attempt to show to the court that the park had taken all necessary measures in testing and maintaining the ride, and that this failure was unforeseen.

Is Six Flags even going to take this court? I think the smart move on their part would to be to work out a private agreement with the victim's party and keep it out of the news. They don't want it to keep being brought back up especially with the 2008 season right around the corner.

I'm not a lawyer, but I know many. AFAIK, this is basically a big game of chicken. They get the depositions, set a trial date, and then start negotiating. Cases are often settled right before the trial would start. I'd imagine that the only way this will go to court is if the parents want some completely unreasonable amount of money and won't budge on that.

I doubt the case will make it all the way to trial because Six Flags isn't going to want to deal with it. It'll make it to the Discovery process and Six Flags will settle it. As Ginzo said, I believe only like 2-3% of all cases filed will ever make it to trial.

What will be more interesting is to see if Six Flags turns around and files a lawsuit against Intamin.

On what side of the tower was the broken cable?

I ask this because the main control booth is inside a large metal pod nearest to the side facing Thrill Park Theatre and Papa John's Stadium. If the incident was taking place on the side facing Road Runner Express, I could see how the operators in the control booth did not notice it as it was happening...

Even if the cable broke on the opposite side of the ride, it is the ride operator's responsibility to be certain that the ride is operating safely.

That said, it is also SF's responsibilty to be sure that the ride operators have the sufficient tools so they can do their job the safest way possible.

That's not how SFA does things,on average they'll only have ONE operator working controls/checking seats etc. so they can't see around the tower perimeter as a result.

Are you sure about that? Does this one person that checks the seats work the 'controls' at the base of the tower, or walk into the actual control booth and work controls? Most, if not all, Intamin second gen towers have a control at the bottom in which one of the workers checking the restraints has to push. Then, there's a worker in an actual booth that has overall control of the ride, but has to wait until both he and the restraint checker have pushed the button in unison before the ride can be dispatched.

Every Intamin tower (post first gen) and coaster I've seen requires at least two people to run, unless the ride is switched into manual mode. And no park would allow a ride op to run a ride in manual mode while people are on it, let alone on a regular basis.

Yes I'm quite sure as I've seen the ride & been on it enough times to know.After each cycle the op would walk around to each car,load & check the next group for that car & press the section ready button & finally walk back to the control booth,insert the operational key & press the two dispatch buttons on the panel to start the ride cycle.

I worked on Hellevator for 4 seasons off and on. Where the cable snapped was in front of the outside control panel. There is a E-Stop on that panel. The employee should have noticed it and hit the E-stop and signaled to the main operator in the control room.

^So there IS an E-Stop at the panel at the base of the tower?

I'm assuming there's one in the dispatch booth as well. Sorry I was confused, I thought this was an S&S tower.

That means with 2 e-stop buttons available, NONE of them were used. $5.15/HR or not, your job as a ride operator is to know how to stop the ride in case of an emergency. Its not a complicated issue. If you see something wrong with the ride (ie CABLES SNAPPING) you hit the E-Stop!

I'm sorry these ops either were dumb as rocks or were not paying attention. The designer of the ride implemented the safety of the ride which would have worked if used properly, and so did the park in training them. If they're stupid and don't know how to operate a ride and take the job anyway, I blame them for not saying "I don't know how to work this ride, I shouldn't be certified."

Yes this is a SF maintenence issue, but I believe had the ops been working like they were trained, disaster very well could have been avoided.

I have to wonder when the cable snapped, when the ops seen it, and if the estop would have done anything to stop it. If it snapped seconds before drop, would a estop have mattered? (as in they estopped it when it dropped, could the ride have stopped suddenly if they did) I am not defending Six Flags, but I would like to know everything. (I haven't read this thread in a few days).

• 2 weeks later...

^Yeah that's what happens. It seems to be happening a lot these days, so I'm starting to get used to it.

I wonder what they're doing with those huge S's at the top of the tower. I'd love to get my hands on one of those and put it in my garage.

In addition to Superman beginning to be taken down, the Northwest Territory will be closed this season. This includes Twisted Twins and Mile High Falls, so the back path will be blocked off right after the Roller Skater and carousel. The area has been taken off of the new park map for this season (it's all just shown as a large grassy area). No definite word on for how long, but it could be until 2009. Now this doesn't mean they are being taken out, but instead Mile High Falls is being refurbished and this area is being looked into for future expansion.

^If that's true, then this is GREAT news! I hope in addition to the MHF refurbishment, the Twins get removed...

Fixed.

No, seriously, they are actually decent rides, but the area is run down, and they take up SO much space. Considering their total lack of popularity, I feel the area could be put to much better use.

Seems poor Katilyn has had another setback

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Louisville teen who was severely injured on a ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom is recovering from additional surgery performed over the weekend.

Doctors reportedly removed some bone from the end of Katilyn Lasitter's left leg.

NewsChopper 32 flew over the Superman Tower of Power ride, where part of her right leg was severed last summer. Crews appear to be in the early stages of dismantling the ride

SFKK, really needs to do all they can for Katilyn, this has changed her life forever

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that is horrible to hear that happen to someone, as that can change their life around. Even though this news was last year, it still is dangerous as it can happen at any time on any ride. Unfortunitly for her, she was at the wrong place, wrong time, and wrong seat.

Perhaps the workers and staff can check up on rides functions to see if anything passes or doesn't pass inspections for safety reasons, at least weekly.

Even though this news was last year, it still is dangerous as it can happen at any time on any ride. .

I highly doubt, pass the chain lift, on a coaster that death is caused due to the malfunction of the ride. Most of the time it is the riders own action which ends him six feet under.

^Agreed. With proper inspection, maintenance, testing, and operation an accident resulting in death is pretty much extremely rare. However, there is no way to protect against a person's lack of common sense and disregard for safety rules. I am in no way suggesting that is what happened here and I am sorry for the girl, but you'll find most ride accidents are the direct result of someone being careless and stupid...and that's unfortunate.