TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The first drop and first overback make it look a lot like if millenium force was 120 feet shorter... Love it!. It will be really interesting to see the Minimalist approach to wood supports. All i can say is RMC is on a completely different level than what anyone is doing out there in the coaster world. Wood or steel.

I must be the only person who thinks the new lift looks weird in comparison to the rest of the ride's supports. But it doesn't make any difference to the ride experience, and I'm sure it will look pretty awesome in person, so whatever. I'm hoping to be riding this Labor Day next year.

I honestly did not like the new look at first. I just love the traditional structures of huge coaster lifts. But, it's growing on me. It's not like it's changing the ride experience in a negative way, and it is definitely a unique look for a wooden coaster. I was wondering how they were going to get all that built in time with the old renderings, as long as the overbanked turn structure has taken to construct. Cannot wait!

I honestly did not like the new look at first. I just love the traditional structures of huge coaster lifts. But, it's growing on me. It's not like it's changing the ride experience in a negative way, and it is definitely a unique look for a wooden coaster. I was wondering how they were going to get all that built in time with the old renderings, as long as the overbanked turn structure has taken to construct. Cannot wait!

I agree! At first I was so confused, but now I really like the new look of Goliath! It looks less like a stereotypical wooden coaster!

Does this now make this coaster a hybrid? I realize only part of the structure is steel, so I guess it depends on what your definition of a hybrid is...? Regardless, this coaster looks like a top 5 on Mitch Hawker guaranteed!!!

If the track is steel than it's a steel coaster. If the track is primarily wood, then it's a wooden coaster in my opinion. It's all about the track

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Does this now make this coaster a hybrid? I realize only part of the structure is steel, so I guess it depends on what your definition of a hybrid is...? Regardless, this coaster looks like a top 5 on Mitch Hawker guaranteed!!!

*coughs* GASM *coughs* Geez, it must be going around...

To be 100% honest, I'm not a huge fan of this new design. Part of a wooden coaster is the appearance, and even though there have been wood coasters with a steel structure they generally look fairly similar to a wood structure until you get close. This just doesn't look like a wood coaster anymore. I know its still going to be a great ride, but I've got no doubt it will end up feeling more like a steel coaster than a wood coaster. It really seems like Goliath being a wood coaster instead of a steel coaster is really more of a gimmick at this point, and if this is to be the future of coasters perhaps it is time to stop differentiating between the two types (or start differentiating between traditional wood and modern wood).

It looks to me like a modern interpretation of those old railroad bridges. Using the arch support for the stall inversion is genius. I can see Rocky Mountain doing a design like this with a runaway railroad theme. Congratulations on another history making ride Rocky Mountain.

Sorry but I don't see this as an improvement at all. Even if the structure is steel, I like how traditional wood coaster supports look. I liked how the zero g stall was buried within the ride, now it's just out in the open like a steel coaster. I mean, why even make it look like that, why not just use big steel beams like on Skyrush? Wouldn't it save on some material costs?

Well, like it or not, one thing is for sure. We will never again have a coaster structure as towering and magnificent as SOB's lift hill/turn/drop. Hate on the ride all you want, but you have to admit that 200 ft tall wall of wood was awe-inspiring.

Also, the debate may continue, but I honestly don't think RMC cares if they're making wooden coasters at this point or not. Aren't we basically saying that if there's a slab of wood imbedded in the track somewhere, we can call it a woodie? I'm just not sure anymore, we may reach a point where the line between them is so fine it's totally meaningless.

Sorry but I don't see this as an improvement at all. Even if the structure is steel, I like how traditional wood coaster supports look. I liked how the zero g stall was buried within the ride, now it's just out in the open like a steel coaster. I mean, why even make it look like that, why not just use big steel beams like on Skyrush? Wouldn't it save on some material costs?

Well, like it or not, one thing is for sure. We will never again have a coaster structure as towering and magnificent as SOB's lift hill/turn/drop. Hate on the ride all you want, but you have to admit that 200 ft tall wall of wood was awe-inspiring.

Also, the debate may continue, but I honestly don't think RMC cares if they're making wooden coasters at this point or not. Aren't we basically saying that if there's a slab of wood imbedded in the track somewhere, we can call it a woodie? I'm just not sure anymore, we may reach a point where the line between them is so fine it's totally meaningless.

Again, why bother if it's awesome?

I believe that when tubular track came on Matterhorn Bobsleds, there must be people judging it for being weird. Same thing goes to RMC, they are starting a revolution just like how Arrow did in the 1950s. There won't be improvement if nobody tries to accept them. Indeed, some people might think original wooden support looks better, but concept art can be really different from the reality.

Love the design! This seems like a way to speed up construction, unless they've planed this from the beginning. I also think they may have realized that they were going to have trouble building the huge bents for the lift in that small space. This is probably why they've held off from starting to construct the lift. RMC and the made genius Alan Schilke were probably working on this solution the whole time.

This is a wooden roller coaster. I don't understand why some people have a hard time comprehending this. Why can steel coasters evolve and take advantage of all the technology available, but not wooden roller coasters? If it improves the quality of the ride to where the coaster never gets rough, we should all be for it. That is just the track portion of the ride. This new support design is going to allow them to do some crazy things on their future roller coasters. In my mind, high-g loops are a great possibility now.

I don't understand all the hate on the support design. Those of you saying its taking away from the appearance and charm of traditional wooden Roller Coasters, you need to stop and think. This was never a traditional wooden Roller Coaster to begin with. RMC is not traditional. They are ground breaking, innovative, modern, and future.

The traditional wooden Roller Coaster is not a thing of the past. We still have phenomenal companies like GCI, and The Gravity Group giving us our tradional woodie thrill. That is just not the concept for Goliath. I for one am absolutely thrilled about this design! If the appearance really makes such a negative impact on the experience for you, great! Less of a line to wait in for those of us who are ecstatic about this Coaster!

I absolutely LOVE this new structure! I think it makes the first drop more impressive, maybe because the support structure follows the same curvature as the drop so that the shape of the drop is visible from all angles?? I also really like the bridge-like apperance of the upside-down stall element.

RMC is definately changing the way we look at rollercoasters. Honestly I dont care what material its made of as long as it rides great, and I'm 100% sure this ride will! Hope we can see RMC expand into Europe in the future, whether its to build new rides or redo some of the crappy woodies we have here as well.

I loved to old classic design of this ride, but holy damn (!) if that's not one of the coolest lift hills!

Can't wait to see this finished and hopefully, as previously said, this will get us lot's of more 200+ feet RMC coasters.

Hope we can see RMC expand into Europe in the future, whether its to build new rides or redo some of the crappy woodies we have here as well.

Could you imagine IronThundercoaster? It seems like the perfect candidate to get the I-box treatment IMO.

Hope we can see RMC expand into Europe in the future, whether its to build new rides or redo some of the crappy woodies we have here as well.

Could you imagine IronThundercoaster? It seems like the perfect candidate to get the I-box treatment IMO.

Now that would be amazing! But while it does take a little toll on your body, Thundercoaster is not in the group of coasters which desperately need a makeover. I think the most exciting possibility in Europe is Magnus Colossus, image what RMC could do with that location.