TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Influenza Epidemic, affects parks and fairs.

Every time I see the World Health Organization's acronym I keep thinking "Pinball Wizard".

Alternatively:

"WHO's just released more accurate swine flu figures."

"Wait, who has?"

"Yes, WHO has."

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't know."

"Third base!"

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^That didn't stop the WHO from raising the pandemic level to 5 today. (2nd highest!)

Here is a story. http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/29/swine.flu/

GENEVA, Switzerland (CNN) -- The World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert to 5, its second-highest level Wednesday, indicating the outbreak of swine flu that originated in Mexico is nearing widespread human infection.

Dr. Margaret Chan, the U.N. agency's director-general, said the decision means that all countries should "immediately" activate pandemic preparedness plans.

"This change to a higher phase of alert is a signal to governments, to ministries of health and other ministries, to the pharm industry and the business community that certain actions now should be taken with increased urgency and at an accelerated pace," Chan said.

The annoucement came as the number of people infected with swine flu increased rapidly across the world, and health officials scrambled to get more information about the virus -- which has no vaccine.

"It's a virus that we've never seen before," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"There's no background immunity in the population, and it is spreading from human to human, all of which has the potential for a pandemic." ......

^It's serious now. They're shutting down the taco stands!

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97SCBL81&show_article=1

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Tacos filled with pork, sizzling gorditas, juicy carnitas covered with salsa and gobbled down at sidewalk carts while pedestrians brush past—this is Mexico's version of a fast-food joint, but it is now in peril because of the swine flu epidemic.

With Mexico City authorities urging residents to dine at home to prevent the spread of the deadly virus, vendors at the tens of thousands of taco carts that line the streets of this overcrowded capital have seen business plunge. It hasn't helped that many people mistakenly believe you can contract the flu by eating pork.

Another blow came late Tuesday when the city government ordered the streetside stalls to close for at least a week.

"What are we going to do to survive? The government is closing everything," taco-maker Jose Antonio Morales, 52, said Wednesday.

^ Lucky! I have finals next week and my school isn't closing anytime soon.

Wait, so it's not airborne, its caused by droplets? Like poo right? So how are so many people getting this disease if it's spreading from "human to human"
Its spread through coughing and sneezing. When you cough/sneeze, mucous(sp?) is forced out of the back of your throat, which is why your hand sometimes feels wet when you cough/sneeze on it.

Ahem (steps onto platform)....

* Rev. Phelps has to come out with something soon saying, "It's the gay's fault for having love relations with pigs!" (Don't worry, I'm gay...I know it's coming eventually if I watch enough Fox news).

* This is simply something to try and send people into a panic to make them forget about the rest of the government's failures. Like Jon Stewart said, "Pull the Tamiflu off the shelves and give it to AIG and their families!"

* Why are more people not freaking out about the stupid, mother-f#$%in as--oles that had the "brainstorm" of flying Air Force One over the Manhattan skyline this week at a cost of $350,000+ only to scare the crap out of everyone??? Everyone has been asking about....Photoshop?

* When you have the Government in Washington and the media doing things this retarded, do you think they will save us from a potential pandemic/epidemic?

* Maybe they will summon Smith-Glaxo-Kline or Pfizer to save us all with @ $200 per vaccine??? I heard they are hurting for money now that Wal-Mart and Wegmans are offering $10 generic drug prescriptions. If they don't get this cash, figure on the drug companies asking for a Federal bail-out at the taxpayers expense.

Have fun with this one, folks!!!!

Yaay I'm having fun

1. Every time a human population-threatening disease infects a number of people, the media is gonna blow it out of proportion (kinda like a roller coaster accident). It happened with West Nile, SARS, Bird Flu, and Mad Cow Disease. It has nothing to do with the government at all.

2. New York is the center of this pig flu pandemic right now and I think people are more worried about their health and safety than some random photoshoot.

3. Depends... The government and media have always been like this.

4. Yeah probably... Once demand surpasses supply, they're probably gonna jack the prices up.

From what I saw on the news, A couple people in the bay area suspect that they may have it. I guess one person was from Marin county, north of San Francisco, and one from San Jose/Santa Clara area. I guess we should just take the extra effort and become 'neat freaks' and wash our hands after every thing we do involving things that other people outside also use.

* Maybe they will summon Smith-Glaxo-Kline or Pfizer to save us all with @ $200 per vaccine??? I heard they are hurting for money now that Wal-Mart and Wegmans are offering $10 generic drug prescriptions. If they don't get this cash, figure on the drug companies asking for a Federal bail-out at the taxpayers expense.

Just a clarification here: generic drugs can only be sold for drugs where the patent has expired. Drug companies are used to losing revenue as soon as their drugs go off-patent. It's been happening for a long time before Wal-Mart start selling generic prescription drugs at loss leader pricing.

Crap.....I'm being sent to get tested for Swine Flu tomorrow morning. They took my name and student ID number and I'm not allowed back on campus until my results come back negative.

I think it'll be ok though because over 150 students at my college were sent for the test after displaying symptoms. So far no one has tested positive. I like my chances.

Now it´s worst than ever!

The next 5 days, only this business are allowed to work:

- Food stores

- Banks

- Security companies (Policeman, Fireman, etc.)

- Hospitals

- Drugstores

- Electricity companies

- Water distribution companies

- Gas stations

- Media (TV, newspapers, radio)

- Restaurants (Only food for taking home)

The recommendation is to stay at home all the time.

If Influenza don´t kill me, boredom will!!