TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Off-Season Aerial Shots over Cedar Point!

^ It's too late for a new major coaster, large water ride, or massive flat ride to be built there if it were to open for the '09 season.

But doesn't it seem a little early to be tearing the place apart for a ride "set" to open a year from now? I mean, the park does open soon, why tear apart your nice island right now?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you all remember the site where Maverick sits now was cleared very early in the year as well. They already had footers in place when Skyhawk was having its Media Day. So this is likely to be a big project, I don't think there is any doubting this.

Thanks for these great shots! As much as CP gets ripped on, I must admit that I love the place. After seeing stuff like this, you really can't help but channel your inner RCT dorkness and speculate as to what might go where. It's sort of fun without getting carried away.

I call the world's highest, fastest, first ever 5D dark ride.

That "Flume" that was removed for Maverick was White Water Landing.

The clearing of the land is NOT for a 2009 attraction. And btw I kind of like Mantis

See its not as bad as everyone makes it! The first half of the ride is killer, and one of my favorite sets of elements in the park (Air on Drop, Hang-time on Loop, Dive, Intense Loop, Quick S-Bend). I just with the ride was better after the MCBR.

^That s-turn before going up into the MCBR is one of the most intense elements on any coaster at Cedar Point. The pace of the direction change is insane and it's enhanced by the fact that you are standing. It's just that transition into the MCBR that really is quite unpleasant lol.

^ It's too late for a new major coaster, large water ride, or massive flat ride to be built there if it were to open for the '09 season.

But doesn't it seem a little early to be tearing the place apart for a ride "set" to open a year from now? I mean, the park does open soon, why tear apart your nice island right now?

Not at all. As Wes said, they started in 2005 with Maverick by removing WWL. The entire 2006 season T&T teased us with footers, track, etc., and I think an announcement came in September of 2006, if I remember correctly. The harsh Sandusky winters are my guess as to why they always start so early. Not saying it is, but if it is for a coaster, we should see footers popping up soon.

CP has stated that something new was coming to the park this year IIRC, but it hasn't been announced yet. If this is land clearing for a new ride, chances are that it would be for a very small attraction so that CP can build it in time for opening or at least summer.

That land clearing seems a bit small for any major B&M or Intamin, although this could be land clearing for a large 2010 attraction.

I remember hearing about a rumored flume attraction. Hmmmm.....I don't know.

I will say this. Cedar Point is a great park, but it's still lacking something: a good modern wooden coaster. I'd call CP a steel coaster paradise at this point. I'd like to see the park call up GCI or GG to build them a good mid-sized woodie. It would be nice if this was a wood coaster project.

We'll see...

CP has stated that something new was coming to the park this year IIRC, but it hasn't been announced yet. If this is land clearing for a new ride, chances are that it would be for a very small attraction so that CP can build it in time for opening or at least summer.

That land clearing seems a bit small for any major B&M or Intamin, although this could be land clearing for a large 2010 attraction.

Cedar Point never stated that there would be a new attraction this year. In fact, if you go back a few entries on the blog on their official website, they specifically state that there ISN'T going to be one: http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/blog/index.cfm?entry=1eb26d74-c508-452d-ac0b-d4e498570529

"First, we think it's safe for you to assume that there won't be a new ride or coaster."

If this was land clearing for a 2009 attraction, it would have been started before the end of the '08 season.

^ Thanks for clearing that up. I was actually referring to a post before that which stated that something big was coming, but I looked over that post.

A wood coaster is VERY likely to be a future CP coaster if Prowler and Renegade are successful. Last time I checked, Renegade was pretty popular so we'll have to see how Prowler does.

Otherwise, I see a large family attraction.

• 2 weeks later...
Cedar Point is a great park, but it's still lacking something: a good modern wooden coaster.

Really? You think that's a bigger hole in their lineup than, say, a dark ride?

No offense, but I've never understood the mentality of, "This park has 85 coasters and nothing else. What they really need to be awesome is another coaster."

/Bring back Pirate Ride!

//Or San Fransisco Earthquake.

^You know I haven't thought about that. A dark ride would be a nice addition.

I am aware that CP has a GREAT collection of flat rides. Many of which are great fun. I just went through a phase where I was only thinking about the thrill rides and the coasters and ignored all the other smaller rides. I'm over that now.

85 coasters and nothing else? They have one of the best collection of flat rides of any park. I pray to God that CP doesn't build something as dull as Dark Knight. People that frequent CP are used to getting big rides. I doubt a mediocre indoor ride will go over so well. The pirate ride was nice and would love to see it back, however, CP isn't called America's roller coast for nothing. You can go anywhere for family and indoor rides. I go to CP for the thrill rides. Keep doing what is working.

Thank God Electrik isn't in charge of determining new attractions for CP!

85 coasters and nothing else? They have one of the best collection of flat rides of any park. I pray to God that CP doesn't build something as dull as Dark Knight. People that frequent CP are used to getting big rides. I doubt a mediocre indoor ride will go over so well. The pirate ride was nice and would love to see it back, however, CP isn't called America's roller coast for nothing. You can go anywhere for family and indoor rides. I go to CP for the thrill rides. Keep doing what is working.

Thank God Electrik isn't in charge of determining new attractions for CP!

Fair enough. It's just not my kind of park. And you probably would hate what I would do to try to improve it.

But by "dark ride," I certainly didn't mean Dark Knight. And I think you're right in your implication (intentional or not) that Cedar Point would build a lame coaster in a box, call it a dark ride, and then draw the conclusion that people don't really like dark rides and/or just don't want them at CP. After all, that's pretty much what they've done with their few recent attempts at theming.

/What CP really needs is more trash cans.

//It's worked so far.

Ok I love GCI and all, BUT WHY AREN'T MORE PARKS BUILDING INTAMIN WOODIES!?!

Seriously, El Toro is the best roller coaster I have ridden and I've heard nothing but GREAT reviews of Balder, Colossos, and T Express.

CP's last four coasters have all been Intamins. Hopefully they continue the trend and build a Intamin woodie.

^IIRC, Kinzel stated that CP will probably not see a new Intamin anything anytime soon because they're so unreliable.

So even though Intamin Woodies are universally praised, CP probably won't get one anytime soon.

I pray to God that CP doesn't build something as dull as Dark Knight. People that frequent CP are used to getting big rides. I doubt a mediocre indoor ride will go over so well.
Disaster Transport says hi.