TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Off-Season Aerial Shots over Cedar Point!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^IIRC, Kinzel stated that CP will probably not see a new Intamin anything anytime soon because they're so unreliable.

Sure, but they've known that since they built Millennium. And then they built three more--the last of which has probably been the most reliable of the bunch.

He may have said it, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

When and where did Kinzel say that? Besides TTD, have the others really been unreliable??? I guess I haven't seen anything regarding the CP Intamins being down for unscheduled maintenance (again I realize TTD frequently craps out). MF and Maverick are two of the most popular rides there and without them, CP wouldn't have the success that they have had. I don't think I have heard anything about any of the Intamin woodies not working properly either.

^ I believe at Coastermania a few years ago. Search for Beemerboy's Coastermania (I believe 2007) Photo TR.

^IIRC, Kinzel stated that CP will probably not see a new Intamin anything anytime soon because they're so unreliable.

Sure, but they've known that since they built Millennium. And then they built three more--the last of which has probably been the most reliable of the bunch.

He may have said it, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, but CP probably knew what they were getting into with MF, TTD, and even WT, and were willing to take the risk for a quality ride experience (especially for MF and TTD). All three had either something that had never been done before, or was brand new.

MF

-Elevator lift system.

-Of course that's going to have difficulties it's first few years.

TTD

-Hydraulic launch system.

-It took CP a good 3-4 years to finally get the hang of running TTD efficiently, and when they do, it's run very well!

Wicked Twister

-Twisted back spike.

-Obviously going to create stress issues on joints and require constant maintenance, which it has, even to this day.

I think what finally put Cedar Point over the top is the track on Maverick that needed replacing. From what I've heard since 2007, they weren't too pleased with that fiasco, and that whomever it was in charge of that area, didn't catch it sooner, causing it to need replacing and the opening to be delayed.

^ Actually I believe Moonsault Scramble was the first coaster to use a cable lift system. (I remember seeing a catch car in the Moonsault Scramble POV I watched a while back) And I think most Vekoma Boomerangs also use cable lifts as well.

However MF was the first full-circuit coaster to break the 300 foot barrier.

Xcelerator was the first hydraulic launch coaster, and I believe you stated that it was built to test TTD's capabilities. However TTD was the first full-circuit coaster to break the 400 foot barrier.

CP wouldn't have the success that they have had.

CP was successful before MF was built. It was Corkscrew and Gemini that put the park on the map. Magnum and the record-breakers of the 90s-00s gave them their huge following. And even then, the park has lasted over 100 years and its still going strong. I call that pretty successful if you ask me.

^ Actually I believe Moonsault Scramble was the first coaster to use a cable lift system. (I remember seeing a catch car in the Moonsault Scramble POV I watched a while back) And I think most Vekoma Boomerangs also use cable lifts as well.

Xcelerator was the first hydraulic launch coaster, and I believe you stated that it was built to test TTD's capabilities. However TTD was the first full-circuit coaster to break the 400 foot barrier.

CP wouldn't have the success that they have had.

CP was successful before MF was built. It was Corkscrew and Gemini that put the park on the map. Magnum and the record-breakers of the 90s-00s gave them their huge following. And even then, the park has lasted over 100 years and its still going strong. I call that pretty successful if you ask me.

I said elevator cable lift system, there's a difference. Millennium Force was the first to use it (proof, read under "features"). The generic cable lift system was used on scenic railway coasters in the early 20th century.

As far as TTD goes, I know it wasn't the first, which is why I said, "All three had either something that had never been done before, or was brand new."

^ I believe at Coastermania a few years ago. Search for Beemerboy's Coastermania (I believe 2007) Photo TR.

Here ya go. It's in there somewhere. To paraphrase, don't expect: A) a B&M flyer, or B) an Intamin woodie.

Of course, things do change from time to time.

Getting back to the Intamin reliability issue, having gone to the park quite a bit last summer I will say Dragster ran pretty well this past season. And I can think of only 3 times when I personally witnessed issues with Maverick (and I've had a lot of rides) and one of the times was a wave cap getting caught in one of the train wheels and they had to take the train off the track so I don't really count that.