TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Off-Season Aerial Shots over Cedar Point!

Great job on the photos! I agree that Mantis is not as bad as some people say. I have actually had a couple good rides on it during the last two seasons. Go for the front seat and keep your head forward to keep it from banging and you'll be fine!

Also glad to see Mean Streak being re-tracked. I wish that they would take the trims out for at least one season so people could get a better idea of how the ride was when it originally opened - it definitely lost a lot of it's charm when they installed those dang trims. Mean Streak is still not anywhere near as rough as the three demons (SOB, Hurler and WildBeast)...as long as you ride it in the front seat.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not uncommon for a steel coaster to have sections replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if thats whats happening to Twister right now.

As for that land clearing, maybe Im wrong, but I'll bet that will be an area for a new Haunted House. They had that Pirate thing on that island last year. It is a really large space, though.. it could be for a new ride.

Personally, other than the needed off-season repairs, Im surprised to see them put more money into Mean Streak. That thing is eating them alive in maintenance.

Too bad about the economy the last couple of years, I was really hoping they would get a new flume-type ride this year.

Great photos!! I agree that Mantis is a very fun and underrated coaster. I think some people genuinely just don't like it as others tend to agree for the sake of agreeing. I compare it to people forming an opinion of a Movie because of a review they read before watching it. They cannot form an opinion of their own, separate from another's viewpoint. Some people would rather fit in with a particular group than go out on a limb with a true unbiased opinion of their own.

You see a lot of that in these forums. More assertive TPR members, such as Robb, Elissa, and several others may stress a personal dislike for a particular coaster. Fair enough, they have the qualifications to give a valid viewpoint. Then you have the followers that would rather be in agreement with them than admit an honest opinion. This is how you get a negative misconception of a ride like, Mantis. While some may not like it, more people actually enjoy its thrill. The proof is in the fact that there is usually always a long line to ride.

Same could be said for people in politics. Heaven forbid a republican disagree with Rush Limbaugh!!!! At least voice a contradiction to his commentary.

Big Mike is a great example of someone that will always give his honest opinion without the effort to adhere to the predominate figures in TPR. Thats why I enjoy reading his posts and value his opinions and reviews.

Great photos!

I had the opportunity to do this very same thing two summer ago, except my flight over the point was in a B-17 (It was Liberty Belle if you're interested)! I used to have tons of photos of it, but sadly my computer crashed a while back and I lost them all.

Tom

While some may not like it, more people actually enjoy its thrill. The proof is in the fact that there is usually always a long line to ride.

That, or the hideous capacity and loading times. That could have something to do with the long lines.

I don't find it rough like others do, as it was nice and smooth on all my rides. But it was still nice and painful in the calves and crotchal region. Not worth the 50 minute wait I typically find for it.

And these are fantastic pictures! I'm always fascinated with aerial photos (I'm on Live Local way more than I should be), so these were right down my alley. Thank you!

Wow, I am shocked on the amount of hype around these photos... Way above what I expected. Thank you all for you comments, I may have to do this again sometime! Want some quick stats? Here you go...

Front Page on TPR

Spot on Screamscape

TPR Stats

Photo Views - 4,923 x (36 Photos) = 177,228 total photo views

Flickr

Saturday - 208

Sunday - 1240

Monday - 4096

Monday (so far) - 6,300

-----------------------------

Total Flickr Views - 11,916

It's even more amazing because I only had around 19,000 total views on my account photos prior to this. I have had the account since 2006.

I was wondering if you've ever operated Millie before? If so who was the heaviest guy you saw go on that ride? I'm asking this so I can know how much weight I'll have to lose before I can go to CP because I don't want to travel about 2500 miles just for the people at the ticket counter to say something like, "I hate to tell you this but you're probably not going to get onto any of the coasters here except possibly Maverick." and there's a high probability that I wouldn't get onto that one either so I want to wait until I lose enough weight to comfortably fit into the Millie seats because I heard that's the toughest ride to get onto so if I can get onto that one then I could get onto any ride over there.

^ I worked on Millie the year the seatbelts were shortened so I consider myself a veteran of "judging" if people will make it or not (pretty sweet quality to have, I know ). It was a sucky thing to ask people to try the test seat at the entrance, but it's FAR better than seeing them wait in line for 3 hours and then have to take the walk of shame (to Park Op to complain!).

That being said, it really varies greatly. Unfortunately there's no magical number or dimension that won't fit because it really just depends on how you're built. I can say that women tend to have more problems on MF than dudes because of their thighs and butt. Truth be told, it's really not someone's stomach that can prevent it from working-- it's more their thighs.

I lose enough weight to comfortably fit into the Millie seats because I heard that's the toughest ride to get onto so if I can get onto that one then I could get onto any ride over there.

While this is generally true, be warned that there are people who can fit on MF but not TTD and vice-versa. There are also people who have no problem with the "lapbar" rides, but have problems on Raptor, WT, Corkscrew, Mantis and Maverick.

As far as Millie goes, if you do end up going make sure to ride in the front row of a car; we'd have people not fit in the back row of a car but would have no problems up front. Also, if you're really worried about it, you might want to sit towards the middle of the car so you have some more time to get yourself situated before the ride op comes by.

Things may have changed a bit since 2004, so it might be a good idea to poke around on CP's site or drop them an email inquiry to get their stock response which may include some generalized numbers for waist size and such. Best of luck.

Most of the time we follow our own "Look at the Thighs and Butt, not the gut" rule when it come to judging who should try the test seat on Millie. Also, generally the test seat belt is a wee bit smaller to filter out any "Close Calls" on the platform. If you were to try the test seat and ALMOST manage to buckle it you are allowed to try the train seat out if you are not convinced. I can tell you that this past season the seat bets got replaced and are somewhat less restrictive than in years past. Top Thrill is much more restrictive, so it's more likely you will be fine on Millennium Force but not Top Thrill. It's really hard to determine unless you have past experience with problems with restraining system. Have you ridden other Intamin trains with similar seat belt systems?

I agree that Mantis is a very fun and underrated coaster. I think some people genuinely just don't like it as others tend to agree for the sake of agreeing.quote]

Actually, I've ridden this coaster (visited CP in late September/early October) and I hated it! Really, I just think it's too painful to be a good coaster. My legs hurting quite a lot after I rode it. So, take it from me, it is not underrated.

^Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just I thought it was too painful for most people to enjoy. Then again, some people have stronger legs and less weight than I.

Yeah for most people that are a fairly in shape it isn't bad on the legs. It may leave them a little numb but I have noticed that on all standups I have ridden. Coasters tend to be a little uncomfortable depending on your build.

Most of the time we follow our own "Look at the Thighs and Butt, not the gut" rule when it come to judging who should try the test seat on Millie. Also, generally the test seat belt is a wee bit smaller to filter out any "Close Calls" on the platform. If you were to try the test seat and ALMOST manage to buckle it you are allowed to try the train seat out if you are not convinced. I can tell you that this past season the seat bets got replaced and are somewhat less restrictive than in years past. Top Thrill is much more restrictive, so it's more likely you will be fine on Millennium Force but not Top Thrill. It's really hard to determine unless you have past experience with problems with restraining system. Have you ridden other Intamin trains with similar seat belt systems?

well a few years ago when I went on an ACE trip I headed out to California and I went to Knott's Berry Farm at the time I was about 310 and I was wanting to go onto Xcelerator and I got into the test seat just fine but when I tried getting onto the actual ride the seatbelt was about a quarter of an inch from locking into the seat so needless to say I was pretty angry because of how close it was and I was in that line for nearly 2 hours (I was waiting for the front)

But anyways the only other Intamins I've been on were Superman at SFMM and California Screamin' at CA and had no problems getting onto those ones but those were more traditional coaster restraints but Superman had similar restraints as the Xcelerator restraints only there was no seatbelt in that one.

^ I remember reading that the park was planning something for next year.

If that area was cleared for an '09 attraction, then it would probably be a small flat ride/kiddie coaster.

It's too late for a new major coaster, large water ride, or massive flat ride to be built there if it were to open for the '09 season.