TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags May Not Survive 2009...

Actually, Six Flags owns essentially all of the land on the far side of the bridge, while they lease the land inside the perimeter road.

I'm sure they own pretty much all of the equipment (rides), regardless of which side of the road a piece may be located on. A while back, I know that some rides, notably the Ferris wheel and Chang, were leased, but I would think that by now there's a good chance those are owned as well.

Just wanted to clear that up. As for how a bankruptcy might affect SFKK or any other park, I have no idea. It seems rather premature to even think in terms so specific.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet if SF did go bankrupt,the first park to close would be SFKK. Which just happens to be the nearest SF park to me.

Yeah, that would be a shame. I'd have no park to drive past on my way to Holiday World.

These are the original Six Flags parks before Six Flags started buying other properties-for example SFDK & SFDL:

-SFOT the first SF park opened in 1961

-SFAW defunct

-SFT Texas used to be known as the 18 Flags Over Texas

-SFOG

-SFGreat Adventure

-SFGreat America

-SFSL

-SFMM

SF would have been fine today if they only owned their original parks. They bought too many over the years. They need to let some of those go but not the originals listed above.

What happened was that Premier parks had already aqquired 13 parks by the time they bought SF from time warner 10 years ago,those parks were :Frontier city,Adventure world(now SFA) Elitch gardens,Kentucky kingdom,Darien lake,GL,TGE,MW(now SFDK & leased by the city) Riverside(now SFNE) Wyndot lake, SFM & La Ronde.

Not all of the parks were "flagged" only DL,AW,KK, SFO/WOA & EG in 99 so those parks plus the unflagged ones added up on the operating & cap ex costs alone & when added to the parks TW had in the SF chain at the time it became too much & then as if things weren't bad enough Premier foolishly began buying parks iin Europe which drove their operating/cap ex costs even higher & they couldn't keep up & as a result not more than three years later many parks fell out of f avor with management which leads us to the delema we're in now with attendance drops at the parks that have been skipped over for new rides year after year.

Management foolishly ignores the fact that the lost revenue from the parks they keep ignoring isn't magically being offset by the profits made at the parks that they spoil rotten year after year with new rides & that is what's hurting them financially right now.

• 2 weeks later...
^That was a really F***ed up clip. Now that I'm a Six Flags employee those statements hurt me deep. Yes I know it's a comedy type of show but 6 Flags is better than what that guy said.

Don't take it so personally it is a comedy show!

I enjoy Mr. Colbert. I like how they showed El Toro in the graphic and then talked about SFGAm. Not that anyone actually noticed.

And yeah, the show's on Comedy Central. Don't take it seriously. He's ribbed demographics I fit into much harder than he did employees.

But still, I hope SFAfan#1 didn't watch. For his sake.

One of my best trips to SFGAm was for Physics Day when I got to sit next to my crush on the Demon and Logger's Run (the Yankee Clipper wasn't open). Alas, she moved to North Carolina and married a guy who looks like me and had the same college major as me.

F#@& 'em.

I only watched it because it was called Bears & Balls. I was very disappointed.

^ Man...just when my already sore throat was recouping from laughing at the video clip, I read this comment!

That was one awesome skit. I remember when people in Western NY were whining about a couple digs Colbert made on the people and weather in Buffalo...I found it hilarious. Then again, it would take an awful lot to offend me as I just take things in stride!

I definitely need to DVR this show more often...I forgot how funny it was!

I thought this was pretty good, but I would like *someone* to bail out Six Flags if need be!

Colbert is better on Strangers with Candy as Mr. Chuck Noblett. Now that is one show sure to offend just about everybody!

Six Flags needs to pare down to just a few core parks (SFOT,SFOG,SFFT,SFMM,SFGA), spin off its non-US based parks into their own company and sell off its "non themepark" (i.e. not on same site) assets (Waterparks, ect.). Then, get back to focusing on a great product at those parks.

^While in theory that sounds great I think it'd be much more difficult in all reality. With the economy right now it's going to be exceptionally hard for them to find a buyer who is willing to pay a decent price. If these parks are not going to turn a profit (and by profit I mean substantial profit) I don't know if Six Flags would be able to move them right now.

Personally I think the biggest mistake (purely from an economic standpoint, personally I would have hated to see this happen) that Six Flags made was not selling SFMM a few years ago when the rumors were going around. That land was worth a lot more then then it is now, and a sale could have made a substantial impact on the chains debt. With that said I am still somewhat curious how close Six Flags did come to selling SFMM, were they in fact shopping it and just failed to find somebody will to pay enough. These are questions that I don't think any of us can really know.

At this point I think the best thing Six Flags can do is try to stave off bankruptcy for as long as possible, and at least make an attempt to liquidate some of their smaller parks. Not sure if anything is really possible, but with everything considered I think this is going to be a really rough year for not only Six Flags but the industry as a whole.

Personally I think the biggest mistake (purely from an economic standpoint, personally I would have hated to see this happen) that Six Flags made was not selling SFMM a few years ago when the rumors were going around.

Didn't they desperately try to sell SFMM, but failed to attract a decent offer?

^That is what I would like to know. Was there in fact a desperate attempt to sell the park, or was the name simply floated out there. There can be all the speculation in the world here, but without a real insider I don't think that's something we can really know.

^That is what I would like to know. Was there in fact a desperate attempt to sell the park, or was the name simply floated out there. There can be all the speculation in the world here, but without a real insider I don't think that's something we can really know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2006/06/19/daily46.html

Six Flags Inc. is seeking buyers for six of its thirty properties, including Los Angeles' Magic Mountain and its Waterworld park in Concord, the company said Thursday.

The theme-park operator also reported weak traffic and a potential problem meeting the terms set by one of its lenders. Investors knocked more than 25 percent off the company's share price in heavy trading Friday; it closed down $1.90 at $5.55.

The company has already said that it will end its lease for the Waterworld park at Cal Expo in Sacramento.

Profits are down for Six Flags, along with attendance numbers, and the parks it is looking to sell are the less-profitable parks. The six it listed were Six Flags Waterworld Concord, Magic Mountain, and parks in Seattle, Denver, Houston, and Buffalo, N.Y.

Executives reportedly believe that Magic Mountain could bring in as much as $300 million just for its land.

I think the thing was that they never got that big money offer they were hoping for. So, they brought in Jay Thomas to clean the place up.