TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

This ride looks REALLY short. The video is deceptive, since it keeps showing the same element over and over again (instant replay?). I edited together a quick copy of the video that shows the ride in real time, mostly POV. Looks like about a 45 second ride from the top of the lift to the brakes. The youtube edit is below:

You know that's exactly what I was thinking. The press release said what, over 2,850 feet? That's not very long for a woodie now a days And also it makes sense now that you point out the original POV posted did do some re-runs of the track. The POV that you posted does show more what a 2,850 foot woodie looks like.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I was hoping for 3200+ feet in length, however I can think of several great wooden coasters that are shorter. The length isn't something that really bothers me. Actually other then the thinking they picked a poor spot for the coaster, I'm really liking what I've seen thus far.

Sorry...One More thing. I don't think Magic Mountain has to convince the General Public of ANYTHING other than there is a new Roller Coaster at Magic Mountain. The only credibility (if any) that the park may or may not have lost on X2 is with Snobby Coaster Enthusiasts that had nothing more to complain about. X2 is the most popular coaster at Magic Mountain. Trust me, I sell Funnel cakes to People for an HOUR after the park is closed, and the GREAT majority of those people are coming from X2. People are STILL going to ride X2, no matter if they think it is X or not. ...and if the people that are complaining about it DON'T like X2, then they never liked X, and they can go ride another ride. People are STILL going to ride "Terminator" no matter if they think is is Psyclone or not. The people that go to Magic Mountain on a regular basis KNOW that there is NO Roller Coaster next to Deja Vu, where there once was one. ...and the people that don't go that often or the out-of-towners are not going to know the difference. No-one is going to say "Oh My God, There is a Wooden Roller Coaster back here called "Terminator" and I simply will NOT ride it, because it should be Steel" or "I know that the sign on this Roller Coaster says "Terminator", but I am still a bit confused as to whether it is REALLY that OTHER Roller Coaster called "Psyclone". Magic Mountain is NOT going to lose ANY money on adding this coster, naming this coaster "Terminator", or the confusion that ensues over WHICH coaster this really is, or what it is made of.

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

Check.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

Check.

Not taking away nothing from the smaller woodies out there but just IMO would have liked to see a longer woodie... Just the thought of a "West Coast El Toro" was making my mouth water

Seriously though, and this isn't meant as a knock on GCI in ANY way, but when the rumors of it being a GCI woodie started surfacing what, 3 maybe 4 months ago now....did you REALLY expect it to be the "West Coast El Toro?"

If you look at GCI's track record they are far more conservative and specialize in making "medium-sized" rides. I would not at all have expected a 200+ foot, negative G ejector airtime filled, or 4 to 5,000 foot woodie to come from them.

And if this is what you expected, then I think you've set your expectations too high.

I never expected anything more than "Kentucky Rumbler with odd theming." And that's pretty much what it is!

--Robb

When I heard "Wood" 3 months ago, but saw that it wasn't Intamin AG that was Designing this Coaster, I have to be honest, I was a bit crushed, because Magic Mountain NEEDS a West Coast "El Toro". We have lost A LOT of ground to Cedar Point & Great Adventure. But A New Coaster is a New Coaster, and I am just happy that we don't have to wait until 2010.

The ride looks great.

The themeing: Well, it's always a risk to theme a ride to a movie before the movie's out... And with McG, of all people directing, you know it's gonna suck (Charlie's Angels anyone?). Hopefully the movie will be a hit and prove a useful tie-in for SFMM nonetheless.

I was a bit crushed, because Magic Mountain NEEDS a West Coast "El Toro". We have lost A LOT of ground to Cedar Point & Great Adventure.

Wow, I didn't know that SFMM was competing in the same market as a park in Ohio and New Jersey. SFMM is gonna lose soooooo much business, all the kids who live in the valley are gonna go to CP now because we don't have a west coast El Toro.

Not taking away nothing from the smaller woodies out there but just IMO would have liked to see a longer woodie... Just the thought of a "West Coast El Toro" was making my mouth water

Seriously though, and this isn't meant as a knock on GCI in ANY way, but when the rumors of it being a GCI woodie started surfacing what, 3 maybe 4 months ago now....did you REALLY expect it to be the "West Coast El Toro?"

If you look at GCI's track record they are far more conservative and specialize in making "medium-sized" rides. I would not at all have expected a 200+ foot, negative G ejector airtime filled, or 4 to 5,000 foot woodie to come from them.

And if this is what you expected, then I think you've set your expectations too high.

I never expected anything more than "Kentucky Rumbler with odd theming." And that's pretty much what it is!

--Robb

You're totally right, I've never really paid attention to their track record so it was just me being stuck in the 2003-2005 era of "Bet I can build a coaster bigger, taller and faster than yours"... I kinda miss those days

Here is a quick picture of two combined together from the POV to give you a glimpse of what the backend of the coaster and land will look like. This is gonna be that far end on the right of the photo where the pathway is, so you can see it will strength out from where the original Pysclone coaster was. This isn't anywhere near the lift or station, however you do see it briefly in this screenshot. I was trying to piece together the whole coaster from the POV, but it was moving upwards, and couldn't get a perfect fit.

This is the best I can do from that video.

-Tim

terminator1.jpg.39c7e026ef6b37c45922499adef3843c.jpg

I would have loved a west coast El Toro, however I think this is just what SFMM needs. A solid wooden coaster that has a large appeal to a lot of people. As a business decision I think SFMM really went in the right direction here. An El Toro clone would have been great and we would have all loved it, but it would have lacked that family appeal. My favorite ride at SFMM is actually Ninja, a ride far from breaking any records, it's just a good fun ride. I'm hoping the same from this coaster, a coaster that is simply fun!

Besides I promise you that if the park got an El Toro clone people on here would be complaining that the park got a clone.

I would have loved a west coast El Toro, however I think this is just what SFMM needs. A solid wooden coaster that has a large appeal to a lot of people. As a business decision I think SFMM really went in the right direction here. An El Toro clone would have been great and we would have all loved it, but it would have lacked that family appeal. My favorite ride at SFMM is actually Ninja, a ride far from breaking any records, it's just a good fun ride. I'm hoping the same from this coaster, a coaster that is simply fun!

Besides I promise you that if the park got an El Toro clone people on here would be complaining that the park got a clone.

No clone cause I would probably be the first to complain... LOL