TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

This looks like a solid addition. Actually, the biggest complaint I have is about the way they chop up the offride and onride video segments in the animation (I prefer to watch one way straight through).

Like others, I'm a bit curious about the theme, but I can't imagine it hurting the ride in any way.

Besides, the world could always use some more GCI & Millennium Flyers.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully suspect that 90% of the people in line for this ride will believe it's a rebuilt Psyclone, or that it is simply Psyclone renamed.

I was on the opening crew for GhostRider (you know, when it was really, really good). One day, at Greeter, I asked a woman who was waiting why she wasn't riding with the rest of her family. Her answer was that she's already ridden it at Magic Mountain and hadn't liked it.

So there you go.

Wow.

I love that magic mountain is getting a decent wooden coaster, and I think this will be a perfect ride to bridge the family-thrillseeker gap.

However, if this ride is going to cost the reported $10 million it kind of makes me wonder.............because $12 million buys you an El Toro.......

I think a big intamin prefab would be more marketable as well

There will always be wrong assumptions about wooden coasters by the GP. Most people assume that wooden coasters are old, even though many of them aren't the oldest coasters in the parks that they're at, and there are still new woodies being built each year. That's just how it is, because most people don't really care that much about roller coaster information. Most people just go to a park twice a year and it's just another activity for them, just like going to the mall or going to a beach.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people at SFMM this summer thinking that Terminator is Psyclone or thinking that the ride is the oldest ride in the park.

has anyone mentioned that it doesn't make sense to have a wooden coaster themed to terminator i don't think anyone has mentioned this once so far seriously have you thought about it it's a terminator coaster but its wood whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

^ above you!

sarcasm

sar·casm [sahr-kaz-uhm] .

1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

grandma.jpg.29422404cef115e241b3c928267ff77a.jpg

"Hmmm. Bless Drachen's heart..."

This ride looks REALLY short. The video is deceptive, since it keeps showing the same element over and over again (instant replay?). I edited together a quick copy of the video that shows the ride in real time, mostly POV. Looks like about a 45 second ride from the top of the lift to the brakes. The youtube edit is below:

I'll wait to pass judgment on the theme until I personally get a chance to see it and see how it works. To be honest they could call the thing Wooden Coaster 2 and I would be happy. I agree with what others have said however the the location is going to cause problems. I've been saying for months that the park would never put a wooden coaster back on the Psyclone spot because people are going to confuse it for that ride they were on during their last visit 5 years ago that they didn't like. To us the rides look different, but for most people wood is wood.

In terms of how wild and intense it is, it's basically what I was expecting that it would be. It's (hopefully) going to be a solid ride that families can get on. The Height requirement is going to be 48 inches which does actually surprise me, as I really thought SFMM was going to make a run at getting a 42 inch requirement.

However, if this ride is going to cost the reported $10 million it kind of makes me wonder.............because $12 million buys you an El Toro.......

Remember that the $12 million was 2005/2006 prices. Inflation and cost of raw materials has increased significantly, and the dollar is much weaker than the euro as of now, making rides designed by European manufacturers more expensive. Also, didn't El Toro go over budget?

I watched the POV video, and when it begins, there is a large pathway to the back of the ride, and more land will be needed for that and the track design, from what we've seen so far in those pictures. This coaster will take up more land than Pysclone, and looks great landscaped with grass. That pathway may lead you to the queue line, or for future expansion for the rest of that land we see. They have room to put in place some flat rides perhaps next to Terminator, and fill up that entire piece of land, or add some restrooms, small food snack shops. It looks great in the POV video, but I wonder exactly what it may look like in person.

The one thing I don't like with this wooden coaster is the color scheme, the average brown wood. They need to paint that wood to fit in with the theme of Terminator. They should paint the wood a metallic silver, throw in some gray, black, and a touch of red. Add some smoke, besides fire, since that could burn the wood. I hope they have some cool animated characters as you walk into the queue line, a metallic melting lavafall, and all kinds of themed elements from the new movie. The queue line would be boring if they don't incorporate those types of theming elements into the ride, otherwise it may not be all that exciting.

I haven't been to Six Flags since Tatsu was built, and I haven't been on X2 yet. I would like to go and get some pictures of construction, but the real construction may not happen until end of November or early December. They need to build it, so 10 years from now, they don't tear it out, and build another coaster. It seems to me, everytime they build something in that corner, they always tear it out, and never expand the park. Saravejo Bobsleds, Shockwave, Pysclone, and now Terminator. I hope it's a keeper for good, and build around it for future expansion. The park has the land, hopefully they are smart and use it to their advantage.

Later

-Tim

1759788882_SFMM4_DejaVu_NewCoasterUnderCont_01.jpg.1af6e1bb951633cf6e8b9978f75e598e.jpg

Photo Credit Unknown. Somebody here on TPR fourms. The land where Pysclone used to be would be too small for Terminator, so I am sure it will expand over that dirt road you see in the photo. Top Left, that is where they should build some flat rides or snack shops or bathrooms. Expand that whole area, fill it up!

The one I don't like with this wooden coaster is the color scheme, the average brown wood. They need to paint that wood to fit in with the theme of Terminator. They should paint the wood a metallic silver, throw in some gray, black, and a touch of red. Add some smoke, besides fire, since that could burn the wood. I hope they have some cool animated characters as you walk into the queue line, a metallic melting lavafall, and all kinds of themed elements from the new movie. The queue line would be boring if they don't incorporate those types of theming elements into the ride, otherwise it may not be all that exciting.

IMO the ride will be better if they dont try to theme it really well. The "Shapiro era" theming hasnt been anything special (especially when compared to Time Warner rides like BTR) and anything they do will just look crappy compared to USH, especially painting it silver, once it starts chipping/getting old its not like theyre going to repaint it all the time. If it were any company other than SF id say theme theme theme, but in this case I think its better just to build the ride with some scenery but little theming

Okay, here's an idea. The ride COULD fit the terminator theme. Bear with me.

Think of the new Terminator movie, now think of it not from the machine side but from the human's side. That's a Post Apocalyptic society. Things are going to be run down, broken, and made from whatever materials can be found. Now in my head that leans more towards scrap metal than wood, but it fits just a little better.

A stretch I know.... but it's slightly less mind numbing if you think of it that way.

As for the ride, I love the ride but I think Magic Mountain has their work cut out for them convincing the public it is new for a few reasons.

1. Never underestimate the Stupidity of the GP. We all know this.

2. How much cred did they lose (unfairly) the way they marketed X2 with the GP?

think about point 2 for a second. How many GP do you know that talk about it like it's a different coaster from X1? How many times have you heard the GP at the park wondering where X1 is, where they can ride it? It was obvious to you and me from day 1 that X2 was a second try on X1, but I've been AMAZED how every time I go to the Mountain I hear yet another person complaining that they thought X2 was a brand new ride.

Do you think those same people are going to realize once they get in the park and see a wooden coaster in the same spot as Psyclone that it's a new ride?

I'm with Rob on this one. They're going to need to be VERY explicit in how they market this ride. The tagline might need to be "Terminator: It's Not Psyclone!"

I agree with Saxman. If Two more Million gets an "El Toro" in California, then I say Bring it ON! Sadly to say though, it is too late, and honestly, I don't think there is room for an "El Toro" sized Coaster at Magic Mountain. I think "Deja Vu" should have been moved to where "Flashback used to be, and then our new "Terminator Coaster" could really stretch out. But what is done is done.

I don't care that it is a wooden coster that has the Terminator name. IT is a new Coaster at the park where I grew up and that I still love. A new Coaster is a new Coaster and no matter how much you all complain about Theming, or Wood vs. Steel or Names or if the park keeps it up or whatever else, You will still be in line like the rest of us waiting to ride it. and if you don't like it, there are plenty of other rides you can ride and have just as much fun. ...and if need be, you can fly to other Six Flag Parks (WITH THEME PARK REVIEW, no doubt) and ride all the rides you love. It is THAT easy!

CloneCaptain, that looks like something that would be at Six Flags America. If they had any intention of doing something like that they probably wouldve just designed Terminator to be further back.

Obviously you can't please everyone, but I didn't expect to see a laundry list of complaints just hours after the coaster was announced...

Seems like the #1 complaint is the terminator theme and we've known about it for how long? As if all this complaining is going to magically make the theme disappear.