TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Eating and coasters

I've heard about a lot of people (read: my Dad) who need to wait for about an hour or so after eating lunch before getting their next credit.

But it seems a lot of experienced enthusiasts aren't even affected by full stomachs on coasters at all. I mean, at many coaster events breakfast is served during morning ERT (how thoughtful), and there's always the ACE buffets.

It also seems to depend a lot on the type of credits I still have left. For instance, I could easily handle a mine train after a meal, but definitely not a B&M Stand-up.

On my Ohio trip a couple months ago, I knew that to avoid long lines I would be riding Maverick and Dragster in the morning, shortly after breakfast. I had made up my mind that no matter how hungry I was that morning, I was going to eat a very light breakfast. Fortunately it wasn't a big deal, my food had settled by the time I got to the front of Maverick's line.

So what about you guys?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will usually get in line for the next coaster immediately after eating. The only rides I try to avoid for a little while are looping shuttle coasters, since those get to me more. However, I will never go on a flat ride until its been an hour or two since I last ate.

I could eat all I want and go on a ride and it not affect me. But you know what, there's only one ride I've ridden that will affect me. That's Expedition Everest, something about that backwards helix gets me sick everytime I go on it (with or without food) and I will blow chunks if I eat before it.

I try to eat a decent-sized meal before a day of riding. If I've got an empty stomach, I start feeling gross. But it's even worse when I don't stay hydrated. I can eat a good breakfast and then just drink water and maybe have some fries or a snack and be set for the whole day.

The only time I felt sick on a ride after eating was on Tatsu.

First, I don't like Flying coasters( yes, they really do make me feel sick, at least Tatsu), and secondly, I had a big pizza minutes before riding it, so I guess it didn't help.

I guess I could say that I have quite a strong stomach as I've only once had an issue eating and then going on either a coaster, or even flat ride for that matter. My entire family has strong stomach's, and being very juvenile, I suppose, goes to my advantage of being able to ride rides, right after meals.

The only time I've ever even not felt good after a ride was when I drank an XL soda at Six Flags New Orleans, and immediately after attempted to ride the park's Mondial Shake, which is a looping type Breakdancer ride; Catwoman's Whip.

-Jon

I've never had a problem food-wise at a park. However, I will start to feel miserable if I have too much sugar during the day. Not triggered by any ride, but just from the heat and dehydrating sugar.

On the other hand, my brother had a problem once last summer at Kings Island. He got sick after riding The Beast following LaRosa's lunch. However, that might have just been that once, because he's done it since then and was fine. Go figure.

Though I've never gotten sick from riding a coaster right after I've eaten, I try not to push my luck, and wait a little while or try to find a ride with a long line.

If I'm really full, but crave more thrills, I can get on any type of drop/launch tower, and won't feel queasy.

It doesn't affect me at all. Did it yesterday at SFMM. I scarfed down some Panda Express on the way to Déjà Vu, finished as I got to the bottom of the hill, jumped in the single riders line and was put on the next train. Felt great afterwards.

I used to wait a little bit for that "just in case factor" a couple years ago, but now I can just jump right on.

I agree, I get headaches a lot when i go to far away parks. Because I never eat. I'm cheap, I will wait until i get home to fill up or if i left a few crackers or cookies in the car I will eat those, But it doesn't fill me up. I don't think I have any problem with eating a full meal before going on coasters though. I never really tried it, maybe just for fun I will eat like a thanksgiving dinner and immediately ride something to find out what happens.

I've eaten McD's, and finished my bro's fries, plus 2 sodas (one refill) just before riding Top Gun/Flight Deck. I walk off perfectly fine. The only incident I had was drinking something and riding an Enterprise...it only lasted a minute of feeling woozy after I got off the ride, then I was back to normal.

One of my friends has this thing he does for fun: Ride certain coasters immediately after eating the challenge ice cream cone.

The challenge ice cream is a triple cone with mint chocolate chip, strawberry, and cookies ‘n cream, and so far he’s done it on:

-Montu

-Top Thrill Dragster

-Dragon Mountain

-Steel Hawg

-Tatsu

-Fahrenheit

-Griffon

He said Fahrenheit and Montu were the ones that affected his ice cream filled stomach the most.

As a kid at Disney, my family made the habit to find the longest que line and eat while in line. Worked perfect then and still does to this day for me. I have no problems at all. Now my fiancée must wait over an hour and a half to ride any ride after eating. Could cause some problems in the future .