TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skara Sommarland Discussion Thread

Wow, that's pretty insane...one of those would never last in America. I don't understand how the belts came off. Are they not manually unbuckled?

On a positive note: the birds have been installed!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone who has been in Skara Sommarland this year, know that Tranan's uphill sounds very much. The rollercoaster has now undergone a minor repair, so that the volume is now slightly lower. In the autumn when the park is closed, they will fix the problem completely. This information comes from a friend of mine, who works in the park this summer.

That's good news, the lift was deafening!

EDIT: I just saw a pic of the trains in action and it looks like riders are seated away from any of the moving parts so they cannot physically touch them during the ride.

No they're not. You can quite easily put your hand into the holes when strapped in. Thankfully, it's like a Darwin award, if you're stupid enough to try it, you'll remove yourself from the gene pool so that future generations wont be riddles with such idiocy...

Dave "still a fun ride though!" Wilson

• 1 year later...

Skara Sommarland has invested 17 million SEK this year and they announce three new rides.

Spinner - Roller coaster with spinning cars. The track length is 240 meters and the top speed will be 43 km/h.

Rodeo - Crazy carousel with Western theme.

Fyren - Small free fall ride with a drop length of 6 meters. (From Gröna Lund?)

More information in Swedish http://feed.ne.cision.com/wpyfs/00/00/00/00/00/14/77/45/wkr0005.pdf

The official site of Skara Sommarland (new!) http://www.sommarland.se/nyheter.php

1566112979_Skrmklippkkk.JPG.8332d2510188d6f2d28ba2f836f37014.JPG

The new rides for 2011.

1803594636_Skrmklippkl.thumb.JPG.de670cc5b5aa70fc6394da4887fb2078.JPG

The new park map.

The park is open from 2nd June till 21st August.

And Yes Joel, Fyren is from Gröna Lund. The ride was located where Twister is today.

I'm a little curius about the spinner, if it's a Maurer Söhne and so on, it doesn't say much on the website.

• 1 year later...

Big news from Skara today!

Last year they installed a 4-lane mat racer in the water park, the first Proslide in Sweden.

After the success of that installation they will (to my delight) continue their new found cooperation with Proslide.

Big Drop will replace the old free fall slide (which in the 80's was the most bad-ass slide in Europe) with a new one.

It will be the highest in Europe, using a trap door, and it will be the first of them (trap door slides) to go under ground.

And the old slide, as you can see, digging down the new one in the ground won't be that hard.

Skara Sommarland has reported that they are reaching out tho a new audience with this new ride (the park hasn't showed a profit since the financial crisis started in 08). They now want people in their 20's with no children to come to the park as well.

Hopefully it will be successful, because if this attraction can't get a profit for the park, then I don't know what will.

If it is indeed successful, then I suspect we will see a large thrill ride for the tivoli next year.

^ It's really hard for me to see a large influx of people in their 20's due to a new water slide. They need something a lot bigger to do that, also they need to make it easier to get to the place by public transport. You more or less need a car to get to the place, it would make it easier for people living in say Gothenburg to get there, or at least consider it. In essence they need something that will draw the people away from Liseberg, and no slide in the world would do that.

Still it's nice to see that they have finally decided to ditch the "camping ground/school trip" stamp they have had forever (at least as far as I can remember). The place have really great potential to develop into a large theme park, loads of space and no neighbours that could complain, they just need to get the big rides (like they had Stand-Up in the past) and make it easier for people without cars to get there and they will have a future in my view.

I'm pretty sure that Helix have something to do with it all, by getting some new great stuff next year they will try and milk everything they can from the people that will go to Liseberg for Helix and make them stop by Skara as well.

To be honest there are no water slides with trap doors anywhere near here, closest I can think of is in Germany, so when this thing hits TV commercials in May, I think it will be able to pull a decent amount of new people into the park.

Remember that they don't need to attract a big amount of new visitors with this addition, just enough to turn a profit. The last years they have been only a few thousand visitors away from that. If the addition proves to be a success, I find it safe to assume that we will see more thrilling rides into the park, if not then I don't know what they could do to turn a profit.

I'm pretty sure that Helix have something to do with it all, by getting some new great stuff next year they will try and milk everything they can from the people that will go to Liseberg for Helix and make them stop by Skara as well.

I really don't see Helix affecting any of this.

Just building the one slide though? Seems like capacity will be an issue - they have a similar one at White Water World and the queues get pretty nasty. I wonder if the marginal cost of adding a second slide is all that high?

I really don't see Helix affecting any of this.

You don't think that they will try and get everyone going from the "Stockholm area" (or anywhere else north east) to ride Helix at Liseberg to stop by Skara Sommarland by introducing something bigger than just a water slide.

It's the typical coaster war, last time was in the late eighties with Lisebergbanan, Stand Up and Jet Line, I don't think that Gröna Lund can counter much this time, but compared to the other two then they are already ahead. Skara Sommarland on the other hand (which is owned by the same guys as Gröna Lund) could counter with something (looping wooden coaster or something), there is still time for next year.

You don't think that they will try and get everyone going from the "Stockholm area" (or anywhere else north east) to ride Helix at Liseberg to stop by Skara Sommarland by introducing something bigger than just a water slide.

It's the typical coaster war, last time was in the late eighties with Lisebergbanan, Stand Up and Jet Line, I don't think that Gröna Lund can counter much this time, but compared to the other two then they are already ahead. Skara Sommarland on the other hand (which is owned by the same guys as Gröna Lund) could counter with something (looping wooden coaster or something), there is still time for next year.

They probably hope that the people going to Liseberg will visit Skara as well, but they are always hoping for that. I don't think the park will go out of their way to try and have a big attraction to compete with Helix, nor are they in an economical place for it.

The last two coasters didn't boost the attendance as much as wished, and I think future additions will be based on the success of this new slide, if it will be another year of not making a profit I don't think they will put anything medium or major in for next season.

As always though, I would LOVE to be proven wrong (especially on this one)

Seems like a medium size RMC wood ride with a few inversions would be perfect here, both in scary-ness and in investment size, further down the road.

Just building the one slide though? Seems like capacity will be an issue - they have a similar one at White Water World and the queues get pretty nasty. I wonder if the marginal cost of adding a second slide is all that high?

I thought of this as well, but I don't think it will be to much of a problem. The old free fall slide never had a capacity problem, but on peak days it could be some wait for it, but that goes for all water parks.

I don't think another slide would have increased the cost to much if they were building a new tower for it, but now they are reusing the old tower (it's only big enough for one), and they are also using the old slides "concrete hole" in the ground to dig it down, so if they wanted two slides they had to do a lot more ground work as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The slide is pretty much done, as shown on the parks Facebook.

They did a lot more work around this than I thought, and it's gonna look perfect when the grass has grown.

Also when looking at the size of the tunnel it seem like it will be an open flume, as opposed to the enclosed one seen in the concept art.

946533_563686233684263_821253637_n.jpg

I'm much more a fan of open slides when you do a freefall with a launch box.

Just look at these from Great America where the water runs down all over the lane, looks awesome!

• 2 weeks later...