TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I'd hardly call GCIs "traditional wooden coasters." The only one I've been on was American Thunder @ SFStL but even that was nothing I'd call traditional. When I think traditional woodies I think of out and back, airtime hills that give mostly floater, cushiony seats and either buzz bars or those orange ratchety lapbars. Screamin Eagle at SFStL is a traditional woodie. Judge Roy Scream at SFOT is a traditional woodie. Racer is a traditional woodie. Beast seems too unique to really categorize to either traditional or modern, and CCIs also sort of take the middle ground, but GCIs and RMCs pretty much define the modern woodie imo

The thing I find strange about this is that Kings Island already has more wooden coaster track then any other park on the planet. My guess is they will have almost 4 miles of wood track after this coaster.

Is there even another park with 4 wood coasters?

The thing I find strange about this is that Kings Island already has more wooden coaster track then any other park on the planet. My guess is they will have almost 4 miles of wood track after this coaster.

I thought Six Flags Great America had that record already? And yeah, Great America and Kings Dominion off the top of my head.

I get it. Traditional not classic.

Exactly

By "traditional" I was mostly referring to build type and style. No steel box, not prefabricated, no inversions, etc.

As traditional as is going to be built, nowadays. Nobody's building any Racer's anymore.

Yeah I can see that. It's just the way I see traditional (although if RMC or GCI were to build an out-and-back like Racer it'd probably be awesome, lol)

won't KI technically have 5 woodies if this is the case? Both sides of Racer, anyone?

In all seriousness if this is legit I think it's one of the better things they could be adding. I think in the long run with not being as limited on space as Cedar Point, KI could eventually become on the level or even higher than CP. That obviously wouldn't be for another decade or so, but KI does have hella potential and they're still doing great as is!

I thought Six Flags Great America had that record already? And yeah, Great America and Kings Dominion off the top of my head.

I totally forgot about Great America. You are correct it does have more 16,558 feet vs 15,539. So I guess Kings Island will be getting that record at least.

I'll have to visit first before I can really give unbiased input on this but I've heard that said here and there about Kings Island "overtaking" Cedar Point and it just makes no sense to me. Cedar Point is still building much faster than Kings Island (yeah they got Banshee--how are they improving faster than Cedar Point when they've essentially done three new B&Ms since Diamondback?).

Kings Island has tons of space but get this: so does Cedar Point. And Cedar Point will always be a good investment for the chain.

I'll have to visit first before I can really give unbiased input on this but I've heard that said here and there about Kings Island "overtaking" Cedar Point and it just makes no sense to me. Cedar Point is still building much faster than Kings Island (yeah they got Banshee--how are they improving faster than Cedar Point when they've essentially done three new B&Ms since Diamondback?).

Kings Island has tons of space but get this: so does Cedar Point. And Cedar Point will always be a good investment for the chain.

I think the main difference is that CP is locked in how much space they take up. They only have the peninsula (which is big don't get me wrong), whereas KI does have a decent amount of expansion space with empty land they could obtain and use as they're not on a giant body of water. CP is definitely expanding faster at the moment, but KI's attendance numbers are getting pretty close to CP's as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if twenty years from now KI had become on CP's level. Then again, I'd also not be surprised if it wasn't.

I think the main difference is that CP is locked in how much space they take up. They only have the peninsula (which is big don't get me wrong), whereas KI does have a decent amount of expansion space with empty land they could obtain and use as they're not on a giant body of water. CP is definitely expanding faster at the moment, but KI's attendance numbers are getting pretty close to CP's as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if twenty years from now KI had become on CP's level. Then again, I'd also not be surprised if it wasn't.

Cedar Point has a very easy long term expansion path available. They could easily build a parking lot off of the peninsula and just run buses to the park. Leave a smaller lot for handicap and premium parking. A parking garage is just too expensive, but building a new lot could be affordable.

Well, it would appear I was right in my suspicion that KI 2017 would be a wooden coaster. Having said that, I must confess that I'm a little disappointed in the blueprint, and the fact that it's likely a GCI and not custom RMC. Still, regarding the latter, GCI does make great coasters (no pun intended), and I'm not proficient at reading blueprints, so maybe it's a lot better looking than I realize! Regardless, a new coaster is always great, and I think another wooden coaster hidden in the woods will be awesome at KI! I will definitely be back to KI next year, assuming that I don't make it back for Haunt this year, and more delicious night riding!

And to further that point, Cedar Point continues and will always be the top dog in Cedar Fair's portfolio... both from a capital expenditure and income standpoint. Yes, Kings Island might have the higher attendance, but the true metric Cedar Fair bases their investments on is per cap revenue; of which Cedar Point brings in substantially more revenue per guest compared to any other park in the chain. Of Cedar Fair's 11 parks, Cedar Point alone contributes to 25% of Cedar Fair's annual earnings.

Any serious guesses on the name/theme for the ride other than _______ of Beast, because all those belong in the Davy Jones' Locker of Beast. If this is the final design, I wonder how the night rides will compare between this and Beast.

IMO, unless CF starts working with intamin again, or brings in RMC, it'll be really hard for any CF park to be better than CP.

IMO, unless CF starts working with intamin again, or brings in RMC, it'll be really hard for any CF park to be better than CP.

I already think Kings Island is better than CP.

I agree that the coaster looks like a GCI, but I wouldn't completely rule out RMC. Look at the 3D renderings of Storm Chaser and imagine them as a 2D drawing like the one being discussed. I think it would look like a GCI.

I would rather see an RMC built at KI because it would be much different than the other woodies. KI lacks strong airtime and an RMC would fill that gap. I would be so happy if KI got the first RMC in the chain next year. I would be cool with a GCI as long as it has more airtime than laterals.

Any serious guesses on the name/theme for the ride other than _______ of Beast, because all those belong in the Davy Jones' fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo of Beast. If this is the final design, I wonder how the night rides will compare between this and Beast.

Given the fact that KI has already shown a propensity to dip into their (or Cedar Fair's) past for naming (or re-naming) of rides, I think serious consideration would have to be given to Beastie! They already removed it from a smaller wooden kiddie coaster, to fit it into the Peanuts theme, but it's still an iconic KI name. I think it would be a perfect name for a smaller wooden coaster that zips through the woods, not far from The Beast! With The Bat returning, and Banshee being resurrected, it seems KI is a place where older traditions, and sentimentalities are valued, which makes this at least a pretty reasonable guess at the name.

I already think Kings Island is better than CP.

Kings Island is nice and all, but CP is just on a different level. The Beast and the waterpark are the only things better at KI in my opinion. I always make sure I hit up KI before going to CP so it doesn't seem so blah. But I must be spoiled though...

Anyways, I do like the possible addition of another woodie. Would be nice to have a GCI in the area. Beast Jr. will be fun.

Kings Island is nice and all, but CP is just on a different level. The Beast and the waterpark are the only things better at KI in my opinion.

Wait... Are you saying The Beast is better than anything at Cedar Point? Or just better than their woodies? (I'd still disagree that it's better than Blue Streak, but to each their own.) I just want to make sure before I quote your post, in proving my point in the "Most Overrated Coasters" thread about The Beast...

While I really like KI, and I used to go there as often as the Point, several times a season. I don't think any CF park will surpass the location and immersiveness of CP with it's location on the lake. Especially if you stay on site. It truly is the "Queen Of American Watering Places."

Kings Island is nice and all, but CP is just on a different level. The Beast and the waterpark are the only things better at KI in my opinion.

Wait... Are you saying The Beast is better than anything at Cedar Point? Or just better than their woodies? (I'd still disagree that it's better than Blue Streak, but to each their own.) I just want to make sure before I quote your post, in proving my point in the "Most Overrated Coasters" thread about The Beast...

No, just their woodies. Badly worded, sorry. I'm not even a huge fan of The Beast, but it's the only one at KI that I think could fit in at CP. Last time I rode Blue Streak it was rough for me, although I was dumb and rode on a wheel seat. My last few rides on The Beast were very smooth and enjoyable.

No, just their woodies. Badly worded, sorry. I'm not even a huge fan of The Beast, but it's the only one at KI that I think could fit in at CP. Last time I rode Blue Streak it was rough for me, although I was dumb and rode on a wheel seat. My last few rides on The Beast were very smooth and enjoyable.

Thanks for the clarification, because I was like... "Wha???" regarding it being better than any coaster at CP!

Not sure I'd ever classify The Beast as smooth, personally, and I find Blue Streak in the front row of a car to be really smooth and enjoyable (in the back rows, you're right - terrible!). The Beast is definitely better than Mean Streak though!

Of course, I prefer Diamondback to Magnum, and Banshee to Raptor, so I'm more of a fan of KI than you are, apparently! I still agree CP is on a different level though! I think they're different parks in what their aim, and goal is, however, which is why they are able to co-exist in the same state, and park chain so well. KI is more for families, has a nicer waterpark that's included in the gate, and is a much prettier park, with all of the trees and moderate attempts at theming. CP is all about the glitz and glam of being a premier destination amusement park for roller coaster thrills, and it does that VERY well! With Cedar Fair running both parks, and running them both with a nice profit, I don't think we need to worry about either park, negatively affecting the other, in the long run!