TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

As much as I've disliked Son of Beast, I would rather see it re-tracked and the loop brought back. Continuing the Beast conversation from above, I would love to see them increase banking in turns and eliminate trims. Until they do that, Beast is not in any top ten poll I vote for ever again.

Not gonna lie, I'm actually a little disappointed that SoB won't be reopening this season. I'm finally heading to Kings Island for the first time this summer, and for all its faults, I was sort of looking forward to riding it. Mainly, just to say I did, but whatever.

Not gonna lie, I'm actually a little disappointed that SoB won't be reopening this season. I'm finally heading to Kings Island for the first time this summer, and for all its faults, I was sort of looking forward to riding it. Mainly, just to say I did, but whatever.

When I went there with TPR on the Mid-West tour, I had this attitude and rode it. When we got off, I told my traveling companions that I wish they had just punched me in the face a few times. It would have had the same effect as riding, without having to wait. Sad part is, it is an AWESOME looking thing. You know you are in for it when the on-ride photo is BEFORE the lift hill though.

^They want the pre-ride photo because the pained looks on people's faces during the ride wouldn't make for very good advertising at the photo booth.

PREACH!!

My look of utter confusion and pain after my ride experience would probably have been good for comedy, but not for photo sales!

I had training for Flight Deck today. The park looks great, the new paint for the kids area looks nice, on the other hand the SOB sign has been covered up and the BLSC has indeed been stripped of the mini theming.

Boo Blasters looks pretty cool. I recognize alot of things from the Scooby Doo version of this dark ride. It's a good thing I rode the Scooby version of this last season otherwise I might have not remembered what it was like. Anyways, I hope the kids and other patrons like it as much as most did Scooby.

Okay, here's my take on the whole SoB issue:

1: Get rid of that coaster and sell it for firewood.

2: Build a new coaster, but not another woodie. Since KINGS DOMINION and CAROWINDS have this neat coaster called THE IMTIMIDATOR, why not KINGS'S ISLAND build its own version of the ride, regardless if it'll be another hyper, giga, or something else we've never seen before.

3: Then again, who said that this area should be home to a coaster at all? Since the area is large enough, perhaps it could be home to a big non-coaster ride or a few smaller rides.

Well, that's my take on the whole issue. I do plan on returning to KINGS'S ISLAND this June and would love to get more rides on DIAMONDBACK, THE BEAST, and FIREHAWK, as well as see the new Planet Snoopy.

"You typed enough, so lie your head on me for a while."

^Or they could get original with the name and "themeing" (this is Cedar Fair after all), and have something not Intimidator themed. Honestly, who knows what the next direction the park is going to take. They just built Diamondback, so the need for a coaster ~200ft is diminished, they have a fairly decent collection of flat rides (not saying its amazing, just average). I think they could go anywhere from this point onward.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Texas Giant turns out with the new track. I can see CF doing the same to SOB instead of investing the money in tearing it down and starting over from scratch with a new ride.

If they do remove it...then I would hope that they consider adding a new wood coaster (from a proven manufacturer) in the future. The parks lacks a good, modern wood coaster IMO.

Some notes on my visit today. I'll eventually put at Photo TR up when I get back to my computer and upload the pics. Note: I did not get the chance to check out everything

New for 2010: ZORBS! The old Eurobungy spot is now home to those wacky water wheel thingies.

Action Theater: Movie hasnt been changed yet. It was still Spongebob 3D

Diamondback: Rode 3 times (front/middle/back once each) The front seems to have lost its luster, but the middle and back are still filled with beautiful floater over EVERYTHING!

Planet Snoopy: Looks very nice. I especially dig the Woodstock Express color scheme...

Race for your Life: OMG violent. All of the themeing (-the final turn/entrance area, which looks nice) is gone, but the ride is pretty rough right now. The final drop now delivers an acceptable amount of wetness, and the turn right after the runout apparently leaves a very forceful jolt now. It closed down a few hours after I got my ride in, possibly due to the violent last turn....

Boo Blasters: A bit generic/cheesy, and you can tell where the Scooby/Phantom THeater stuff was, but WOW! Its actually a pretty fun ride with some new tech like hologram mist and such now put in. I wont ruin everything, but its definately worth checking out. Walked away with a score of 2490 on my second ride.

Face//Off: Valleyed while I was getting my pass processed about half an hour after the park opened. Didnt see it run all day....

SOB: Its like they arent even trying. All signage is gone, and no trace of the cars can be found...

Backlot: Tunnel lights are now on, and the launch seems a lot smaller. I watched a bunch of trains seemingly crawl out of the helix. I say rollbacks might happen this season...

Beast seemed pretty good from my one lap on it. Of course I didn't wait for a night ride since it was getting windy at 40* (something I put up with last year at the CP Haunt, but wasnt willing to for my first trip of the season), but I did manage to wait about an hour to get my Non-Axel back car ride. Its hard for me to say if its smoother or not after not riding it for so long, but there are 2 things I can say about it:

1. For some reason, I got floater down the entire first drop. Kind of like Vortex 7-1...

2. The 2nd tunnel (the one after the break shed) was lit up for some reason. I REALLY hope this was just for rehearsal mode (maybe same thing with Backlot?) since thats always the one thats pitch black even during the day...

^^^Yeah, I took a few of shots of the new trains for my Photo TR. I'm back at my comp, so I'll probabbly upload the pics and make the thread when I'm more awake today.

^^Like I said, the helix was slowed to a point where it borderlined on getting close to stopping at the top .

That and the fact that inverted coasters are one of the most common things at KI. Not that they have a B&M one yet, but the park already owns a Invertigo, one of the few remaining Arrow suspendeds, and a Mini SLC..