TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island building a B&M Hyper Coaster

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J the chain would have to be outrageously (whew!) steep,

Aren't some of the teaser signs boasting a "steep incline"? One could easily imply from such a statement that the lift will be steep.

If the Press Release says what I hope and think they will, then I'll wait 5 hours for this ride!

Pshhhhh. People waited 7 hours for Firehawk...this should be nothing!

7 hours? We waited like an hour to get the credit. I don't think I'd wait more than 30 minutes for that ride. I think that's about my limit for anything in KI.

^Mostly durring weekdays in the summer the only real lines are Invertigo (20 Minutes), Son Of Beast (Don't know why you'd bother but 1/2 hour), FoF (45 minutes), Firehawk (50 Minutes), and Delerium and Crypt (10-20 Minutes).

J the chain would have to be outrageously (whew!) steep,

Aren't some of the teaser signs boasting a "steep incline"? One could easily imply from such a statement that the lift will be steep.

Lets see, there's:

"Steep Incline Ahead" (Indicating steep Lift found on Hypers)

"Move Slowly, Do Not Disturb" (Possible Animal/Monster Refrence?)

"Ride Sally Ride" (Line from the Famous Mustang Sally, Mustang Name?)

"Run For the Hills" (Signifying the many hills on Hypers)

"Slippery When Wet" (Splashdown)

And each one has the line: "The Park Strikes back in 2009!" on it!

Bear with me on the spelling of the spanish words. I don't speak the language. I set out to make a simple post, and it turned out to be much longer than anticipated, so for that I also apologize. I tend to ramble.

However, simply because I find it interesting, the word "Mustang" derives from the Spanish word "Mesteno," which itself came from "Mesta" - which is a word that describes a group of herders or stock raisers.

"Mesteno" itself was used to describe a stray or wild animal - hence its anglicized form, "Mustang," often describing the same kind of "wild" nature.

However, what most people don't know is that in times of herders and stock-raisers - i.e. the "Mesta" - when a "Mesteno" escaped from the herd, a man called a "Mestenaro" was sent to find the wild animal and round it up. In its anglicized form, this man was called a "Mustanger."

So what's my point? Perhaps I'm reading too far into the simple sign clues we've been given, but it sounds to me that "Mustang" may have the perfect background (at least from a derivation sense) for a ride that could possibly be themed to "rounding up the Beast." It would also explain not only the "Ride Sally Ride!" signs, but the one referencing "Do not disturb" and the line "The Park Strikes Back in 2009!" at the bottom of each (i.e. the park "strikes back at" and finally "rounds up the Beast" that has been terrorizing it for decades).

Such a name and theme would also be perfect for KI - a park that has built much of its reputation (and past ride names and themes, for that matter) on the back of its signature, much-loved and cult-hit wooden coaster. What better theme for their (possibly?) biggest coaster to date than that of a new steel Mustang hero to finally rein in the Beast? The cross-promotional aspects of this theme are mind-boggling, and would allow the park to instantly project their new ride into the hearts of its patrons by tying it in to a ride as much-loved and known as the Beast is.

After all, if you thought the BEAST was intense - imagine how mind blowing its captor must be...

EDIT: Edited for spelling.

Bear with me on the spelling of the spanish words. I don't speak the language. I set out to make a simple post, and it turned out to be much longer than anticipated, so for that I also apologize. I tend to ramble.

However, simply because I find it interesting, the word "Mustang" derives from the Spanish word "Mesteno," which itself came from "Mesta" - which is a word that describes a group of herders or stock raisers.

"Mesteno" itself was used to describe a stray or wild animal - hence its anglicized form, "Mustang," often describing the same kind of "wild" nature.

However, what most people don't know is that in times of herders and stock-raisers - i.e. the "Mesta" - when a "Mesteno" escaped from the herd, a man called a "Mestenaro" was sent to find the wild animal and round it up. In its anglicized form, this man was called a "Mustanger."

So what's my point? Perhaps I'm reading too far into the simple sign clues we've been given, but it sounds to me that "Mustang" may have the perfect background (at least from a derivation sense) for a ride that could possibly be themed to "rounding up the Beast." It would also explain not only the "Ride Sally Ride!" signs, but the one referencing "Do not disturb" and the line "The Park Strikes Back in 2009!" at the bottom of each (i.e. the park "strikes back at" and finally "rounds up the Beast" that has been terrorizing it for decades).

Such a name and theme would also be perfect for KI - a park that has built much of its reputation (and past ride names and themes, for that matter) on the back of its signature, much-loved and cult-hit wooden coaster. What better theme for their (possibly?) biggest coaster to date than that of a new steel Mustang hero to finally reign in the Beast? The cross-promotional aspects of this theme are mind-boggling, and would allow the park to instantly project their new ride into the hearts of its patrons by tying it in to a ride as much-loved and known as the Beast is.

After all, if you thought the BEAST was intense - imagine how mind blowing its captor must be...

Wow, I've heard of stupid names like 'Beast Slayer" and things of that nature, but how you've explained Mustang, that sounds awesome! I've never thought of it that way or the theory at all! Great speculation.

-JZ

UC, thanks for sharing!

I would have never gotten something like that, and if Cedar Fair is really taking that point of view, then I have just gained a LOT of respect for them!

Such a name and theme would also be perfect for KI - a park that has built much of its reputation (and past ride names and themes, for that matter) on the back of its signature, much-loved and cult-hit wooden coaster. What better theme for their (possibly?) biggest coaster to date than that of a new steel Mustang hero to finally rein in the Beast? The cross-promotional aspects of this theme are mind-boggling, and would allow the park to instantly project their new ride into the hearts of its patrons by tying it in to a ride as much-loved and known as the Beast is.

EDIT: Edited for spelling.

You just gave Cedar Fair entirely too much credit.

I'm gonna paraphrase what was stated last year during the Q&A session at CoasterMania. (again, this is me paraphrasing from memory)

Random coaster dork: "So why did you pick the name 'Maverick'?"

Cedar Point executive: "Well, it kind of goes against everything else that's out there, and also, Mr. Kinzel is a bit of a maverick as well (chuckles from the panel and crowd).

Um, so yeah. Maybe I'm proven wrong, but at this point I'm thinking it may have gone something like this....

"Hey man, that's a nice new Mustang you bought!"

"Thanks, I've always wanted to own a Mustang."

"Mustang, hmmmmmm. That's a pretty cool name isn't it?"

"Yeah, it really is."

"Hey, I wonder if there's any coasters named Mustang?"

"Hmmm, I don't think so."

Yup, that's what I was talking about. Here's a look at Goliath.

It just looked to me that with the spaced seats, there were room to make them the 'original' B&M trains. I haven't seen the Behemoth trains in person, of course....but I was just wondering if it could happen.

No, I don't think you could make the new hyper trains 4 across. It's 1x2x1, but the back two seats overlap somewhat with the front two. You "might" be able to squeeze in one more seat, but I don't think the trains are wide enough to go to 4. Also going 4x4 would probably require more room between the two rows.

You'd have to move the front row up to fit in the lap bar restraints. At that point you'll end up with the same old hyper train.

"..., Mr. Kinzel is a bit of a maverick as well."

He is. He's like a bold modern artist to pack his parks with that many trash cans. Us mere men might think that Kinzel's statement is "ugly", but Kinzel is just ahead of his time. They'll appreciate him more 50 years from now.

One other advantage I thought of is that checking restraints would be really easy on a train like that, since everything is far more open, in particular getting to the 'middle' seats means the op isn't having to suqeeze past the outside ones.

"..., Mr. Kinzel is a bit of a maverick as well."

He is. He's like a bold modern artist to pack his parks with that many trash cans. Us mere men might think that Kinzel's statement is "ugly", but Kinzel is just ahead of his time. They'll appreciate him more 50 years from now.

LOL. Truly, the Christo of the amusement park world.

LOL. Truly, the Christo of the amusement park world.

Although I'd never heard of the guy before, anyone who makes art that pretentious and has a wife named "Jeanne-Claude" will always be special to me.

Where would we be without insane modern artists to entertain us? One of my very favorite moments of the TPR Europe trip was visiting the Centre Pompidou before the trip started and watching some of the video art in the media room. My favorite was an hour long video from the 1970s of some woman brushing her hair. She kept saying:

"Art must be beautiful. Artist must be beautiful."

Over and over again for an hour straight. Then she got naked.

You just gave Cedar Fair entirely too much credit.

I'm gonna paraphrase what was stated last year during the Q&A session at CoasterMania. (again, this is me paraphrasing from memory)

Random coaster dork: "So why did you pick the name 'Maverick'?"

Cedar Point executive: "Well, it kind of goes against everything else that's out there, and also, Mr. Kinzel is a bit of a maverick as well (chuckles from the panel and crowd).

Cedar Point is a different case, because there was no direct tie-in with regards to where Maverick was going.

Actually, there WAS a small one - what ended up happening to the WWL building...?

As was pointed out, if this turns out to be themed around the Beast, it wouldn't be the first time CF have done such a thing. Hydra was created in a similar fashion, and while it IS a different situation - it is worth noting that almost every park has a smaller coaster following up on the name of a larger sibling (i.e. Jr. Gemini/Gemini, Wild Thing/Mild Thing, etc.).

Again, I recognize that what I proposed was probably a bit deeper than what will end up happening - but my point was more that there are countless possibilities for a Beast tie-in that would be both fun and beneficial to BOTH rides.

After all, if Dorney can use Herc's "popularity" to help fuel Hydra, surely KI could use Beast's to boost whatever this new ride is...?

As was pointed out, if this turns out to be themed around the Beast, it wouldn't be the first time CF have done such a thing. Hydra was created in a similar fashion, and while it IS a different situation - it is worth noting that almost every park has a smaller coaster following up on the name of a larger sibling (i.e. Jr. Gemini/Gemini, Wild Thing/Mild Thing, etc.).

Well, Fairly Odd Coaster was the "Beastie" pre-Paramount (and post-Scooby Doo).

After all, if Dorney can use Herc's "popularity" to help fuel Hydra, surely KI could use Beast's to boost whatever this new ride is...?

They've already been down that road with SOB. I'd rather see something else.