TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain's X2 Media Day

Hey everyone! We have posted our update from X2's Media Day. Check it out here:

X2's Media Day - Photos & Video

(scroll down for downloadable version of the video)

As for an overall ride review, here is what I can tell you -

For one, the new effects really DO add something to the ride. The fire was really cool (although it was hot) and I wish they could have been using it more today, but it was windy.

The fog effect was also a nice touch.

But most importantly was the on board audio! This REALLY added to the ride. Not only was it rockin' out to Rage Against the Machine, Aerosmith, and Metallica around the track, but they've even included a bit of "humor" into it with Frank Sinatra!!! Yes, you'll just have to ride it to find out (or at last click the link above and watch the video!)

Anyway, enjoy the update and video and please post your comments or questions here!

--Robb

x235.jpg.2ec7b5d0f3f6efdd1713b0617239c9ff.jpg

Yes there is fire!

x2.zip

Zipped version of the X2 video for those of you who couldn't stream it.

x2.wmv

Here's a streaming .wmv version of the video in case the flash one didn't work for you.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, X has seriously changed! I really can not wait to ride this next spring!

Hmm...I'm a fan of a Arrow, and Metallica is my favorite band...and fire is awesome! Sounds like an awesome roller coaster supreme pizza!

-JZ

Wow, I really can't believe all the improvements MM made to the ride! I mean, sure, I've been reading about them for months now, but they implemented them AMAZINGLY. It looks like it adds a whole new experience to X2. I can't wait to get back down there again.

EDIT: Any opinions on the new loading system? Is it any more efficient?

Great coverage Robb, and hats off to Magic Mountain for doing a GREAT job to relaunch -one- of their signature rides.

I was there at the event today as well. I was amazed when I first heard the audio system and how cool it sounded. I believe with the new additions, it makes the ride experience a whole lot better. The fire effect was amazing in the day. Now I can't to wait to see what it's like at night.

The best part of the update was the fact Robb did a Flash Video!!! Awesome!!!

The ride looks decent. I think I overhyped myself on how big of a "change" it was going to be. The effects should cool and I'm sure the music is a nice addition, but I'm not extremely pumped about this.

The ride looks decent. I think I overhyped myself on how big of a "change" it was going to be. The effects should cool and I'm sure the music is a nice addition, but I'm not extremely pumped about this.

My thoughts exactly after I saw this update. The ride certainly looks cooler than before but I'm not dying to hop on a plane to go ride it.

It looks like it would be extremely noticeable. In one of the pics on the first page you can see that the seats are angled directly up towards the fire as it passes by. Looks like a nice effect. Where is the fog that Rob mentioned? Is it by the station?

Ahh! It kills me that it was closed when I finally made it out to SoCal. Granted, I kind of new it would be, but it's still disappointing. This just drives me even harder to get back out there!

Great vid, Robb! I've never seen POV like that before. I didn't realize how jerky the flipping motion was, though. I always thought it was more fluid than that. Given that you were on the outside seat and not holding on, is it safe to say that the new trains are a success and the ride is smoother now?

I am so happy that Magic Mountain and Six Flags have decided to revamp X and add new trains, sound, fire, lights etc! I am really really happy with the new park President, he seems like a very nice guy who walks the talk and is exactly what Magic Mountain needed! Bravo! Bravo! I cannot wait to ride this, X was my favorite coaster and I am sure X2 will be as well Thanks Rob for sharing your fun filled media day event with us little people!!

P.S was the video being displayed in the station a permanent addition or was that a media day only feature?

Has the station load unload system changed at all? (I remember there was talk about changing it a while back)

Thanks again!

The fact that X2 is playing "Wake Up" makes me a very happy Colin!

Seriously though, even if it still rides the same (which I can't judge having never ridden it) it really looks like they did an awesome job with the transformation. So big props to Magic for taking on a project like this, and I hope all of the efforts to make the ride more reliable pay off.

Any opinions on the new loading system? Is it any more efficient?

It appears that station configuration was pretty much unchanged, only they now unload in the same spot as they load, which is what they said they were gonna do:

You can see the new exit signs. I guess this means that the old unload area is now pretty much unused and abandoned.

It all looks nice, but it feels a little random. I suppose I'm used to Disney rides where there is a "reason" fire is being blown at you. But this just feels like "How many gimmicks can we add to this ride while still staying within budget?"

Nothing wrong with that, it just feels different to me then what I am used to. Looking forward to riding the new and improved X.

Great video Robb. The only part of me that didn't like X was my calves, but that never stopped me from riding this ride. For me the pain was worth it. It looks like they have improved on it. I can't wait to get out there later this year to ride one of my favorite coasters.

Great video Robb. The only part of me that didn't like X was my calves, but that never stopped me from riding this ride. For me the pain was worth it. It looks like they have improved on it. I can't wait to get out there later this year to ride one of my favorite coasters.

Hold your legs out and you'll be fine.

I wonder why they didn't just let your legs hang like they do on any other floorless ride.

That would have gotten that roughness problem out of the way, i think, considering i think the legs are what most people complain about.

Oh well, it never bothered me so i can't wait to get back on X. Its been too long. =]

I have always enjoyed X...but I have to admit that I feel a little underwhelmed after viewing this update. I'm sure the music is cool, but the fire effect seems a little random. Like I said, I have always liked X and I am very impressed by Jay and Tim, but I guess I don't see how all of this cost 10 million dollars.

Robb I'm not sure, but did you comment at all on the fog effect that they added too?

^It seems like they cut back on some of the things like tunnels, but added the audio instead. I do wonder if it actually cost them 10 million dollars or if that amount was cut back along the way. I am also wondering about the fog effects since I didn't see them on the video. Robb said they were there, but didn't mention exactly where!

To be honest, I'm surprised that the speakers made the cut, given they were saying they were trying to cut weight wherever they could, not that I'm complaining, music has the ability to enhance any ride IMO.

...but I guess I don't see how all of this cost 10 million dollars.

I've heard figures for trains thrown around before, so if those numbers are true, given the size and complexity of the 4th Dimension trains, I'd be money the large majority of that 10 mill went towards that.

On top of that, the amount of paint and labor required just to repaint the ride probably cost a pretty penny as well. Then there is the new platform, the flame throws, the fog machines, the sound systems, and the electronics required to program all of them. To me, 10 million sounds about right.