TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I just wish they would be honest and state they are taking the ride out because it is a mechanics nightmare. The ride has never ran a full summer without breaking down for part of it. Sure it breaks down less now that it does not go backwards anymore but that should not be any excuse. They did not need to remove this to put in any coaster. This park has so much land and they would rather squeeze something in this space instead of putting it some where so it looks nice.

I wouldn't wish IW on anyone. Almost nobody rides it anymore because it is a headbanger's ball. Everyone who rides it exits with a headache. It's gotten so bad the ride op actually announced over the mic recently it was so rough because it was built in the early 90s (?????). We all could have gotten a reride, and not one person took it. I don't buy the rumor.

^ Other than Hurrican Harbor, SFA has 4 water rides; Penguin's Blizzard River, Renegade Rapids, Shipwreck Falls, and Skull Mountain. Losing 1 water ride isn't that big of a deal if you look at it that way.

What makes this a big deal is that SFA is removing a ride. SFA had PLENTY of room to expand. I don't understand why they would want to remove a ride in order to build one. Maybe they plan on connecting a path from Skull Island to Gotham or Whistlestop Park. If they do not use this as a new passageway, then I have no idea what their purpose was.

My only idea for a new ride in 2012 would be a River Battle style attraction. I'm not getting my hopes up that something big or thrilling will be placed at the park. A River Battle would fit in with the Pirate theme and once you remove Skull Mountain, all that would be left will be a large empty pool that they can easily fill back up with water and build a cheap River Battle.

They were rumored to get a family coaster this season but of course that didn't come to pass but the big problem is that,like GL under CF management SFA has been removing rides without adding new ones for years now.So far we've seen iron eagle removed & replaced by a stage when a new flat could've gone there,same goes for the enterprise right next door being replaced by a character dressing room & not to mention chaos being removed & briefly replaced by avalanche only to have that ride removed as well.

The park hasn't replaced those rides for the simple reason that in order to do so SFI would have to hold off on giving MM or GRADV another new,big coaster every other year & it's also why whenever SFA did get a new ride it was a water ride as those were much less costly than a flat or even a small coaster...this is also evident in the fact that many of the TT rides were just old ones relocated from elsewhere in the park & advertised as "new" for the kiddie area that was added recently.

...this is also evident in the fact that many of the TT rides were just old ones relocated from elsewhere in the park & advertised as "new" for the kiddie area that was added recently.

Only two rides were relocated from within the park the other four rides, along with the play structure, the pop fountain, the shop, and all of the landscaping were all new. Even if you leave out the two relocated rides, it would still be the largest "Thomas Town" in the chain.

If the past is any indication generally when an attraction is closed mid-season it's usually a coaster or other large project that is planned for that site. Removing GASM at Great Adventure is one example.

While I have never visited SFA yet and following its history on the Net I wouldn't say that the park is neglected, IMO, as it has seen some investment but given what has been added to the other regional parks in the last couple years maybe it's time to add something much more significant. With SFGAdv and Kings Dominion more than likely not getting anything big next year the park could finally add something to grab more attention to the park.

One of the reasons GL ultimately closed was because when SFI ran the park the investments in terms of rides stopped alltogether,with ironically both parks recieving flying dutchman clones the same year(2001) & next to nothing major since other than cheap waterpark attractions.

^Iron Wolf was built in 1990. It was the first B&M coaster ever built.

Sorry, I know that. The question marks were regarding that lame excuse as to why the coaster is rough (because it's 21 years old). Not buying that as the reason.

@Ed Farmer: we bitch because it IS rough. Your head bounces into the restraints over and over. I used to like IW, but there's a good reason the ride is usually a walk-on and people aren't taking re-rides. It didn't used to be painful to ride. If they can overhaul the restraints somehow, then I wish they could keep it due to its history. It is the least popular coaster in the park, though, as it "stands."

Edited by ilrider

^ While SFGAdv and KD probably aren't getting anything, Hershey, Dorney, and BGE are all getting coasters (two of which will probably get some national attention). It's essentially impossible for SFA to catch a year where NONE of their competitor add anything major...

SFA's only competition, in the eyes of locals, would be KD, Hersheypark, and BGE to a lesser extent.

The park hasn't replaced those rides for the simple reason that in order to do so SFI would have to hold off on giving MM or GRADV another new,big coaster every other year & it's also why whenever SFA did get a new ride it was a water ride as those were much less costly than a flat or even a small coaster...this is also evident in the fact that many of the TT rides were just old ones relocated from elsewhere in the park & advertised as "new" for the kiddie area that was added recently.

So GAm doesn't count anymore?

Like a broken record

Good news for everyone it seems… as SFGAm’s Guest Services is quickly trying to put out the fire that Iron Wolf could be leaving their park anytime soon. According to letters sent out by the park, Iron Wolf “will be around for your enjoyment for years to come. There is no truth to the rumor that the Iron Wolf will be taken down or moved anytime in the near future.”

So good news for SFGAm and even better news for SFA… which seems to indicate that the new 2012 coaster may be a brand new ride instead of a hand-me down. Stay tuned!

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_america.htm

Yay.

Has anyone thought of the possibility of something similar to Bucaneer Battle at SFGAM? Correct me if I'm wrong, but besides SFGAM the only place that has something like that is Dollywood, so they're pretty unique little rides. It would fit in pretty good with the pirate theme of where Skull Mountain is, while providing another family attraction to that area of the park. While it might not be the big cash cow B&M some hope to see added, it would be a good addition for the park.

Here is a video of Bucaneer Battle I shot in 2009:

@Ed Farmer: we bitch because it IS rough. Your head bounces into the restraints over and over. I used to like IW, but there's a good reason the ride is usually a walk-on and people aren't taking re-rides. It didn't used to be painful to ride. If they can overhaul the restraints somehow, then I wish they could keep it due to its history. It is the least popular coaster in the park, though, as it "stands."

I'm 5"10/160. I don't know if I'm doing something different than everybody else, but I don't see it. I stick exclusively to the front row, keep the bicycle seat a little lower than I need it before it locks, and lean my shoulders forward against the restraint during the ride. The corkscrew has a nice snap to it, so I keep my head against the side of the OTSR that would otherwise be hitting it. That's it- a little defensive riding in exchange for an intense, pain-free ride. Admittedly, I visit the park a lot less than I used to- once a year (if that) because nothing of interest to me has been added since 2001. People have been whining about it long before then, though, and when I last rode this past October, it seemed fine to me.

^My personal belief is that a coaster that requires special techniques (other than just hanging on) for riding is not a good coaster, but I'm glad you've found a way to survive Iron Wolf (not the worst thing I've ever ridden, but very far from the best).

Good news for everyone it seems… as SFGAm’s Guest Services is quickly trying to put out the fire that Iron Wolf could be leaving their park anytime soon. According to letters sent out by the park, Iron Wolf “will be around for your enjoyment for years to come. There is no truth to the rumor that the Iron Wolf will be taken down or moved anytime in the near future.”

So good news for SFGAm and even better news for SFA… which seems to indicate that the new 2012 coaster may be a brand new ride instead of a hand-me down. Stay tuned!

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_america.htm

Yay.

Why is screamscape even confirming the SFA 2012 project as a coaster?Odds are it's not gonna be one as quite a few flats could fit there seeing as the only flat in SI is high seas & Roar is like right next to the soon to be former queue/exit for SM.

Fun fact of the day: According to RCDB, it's been ten years today since SFA opened a new coaster!

Fun Fact 2: 10 years is also a fantastic band.

Wait I shouldnt joke on this thread. The worst senses of humor on the whole site lie within it. Exile from TPR may be in order.