TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I would ride Roar 1000x over before I ride Hades again in the back seat... So be thankful for Roar... it is not the smoothest but its no where near the worst.

I do not think its is fair to say a park sucks because you happen to have been to alot of the other parks with the same rides. I went to SFOG and OPERATIONS there, especially for rides, was piss poor compared to SFA. But like many, it seems like some people pay more attention to if a park has clones vs the actual overall park experience. Six Flags America, as a park, has a rounded collection coaster experiences. You have an invert, wooden twister, classing out back wooden, a flyer, a launch coaster, and a hyper, and a stand up. Go to some parks and all you have is wooden coasters. Also.... SFNE has dead ends just like SFA.... albiet not as bad at the long journey to Batman which I agree. When I went to Great Adventure, superman especially as dirty beyond belief, over flowed trash can everywhere and bottles all on the ground... pictures to prove it. Some of the most praised parks have some of the same issues as SFA (rough rides, unreliable rides, clones, ect... SFA can't be singled out on those things alone)

SFA has improved, but I see how its improvements can be easily overlooked when not compared to its past but to its competitors. Seeing as though the comments that are claiming the parks still sucks are only concerned with rides/clones and not the operation ... seems like the next step for SFA to prove its doubters wrong is to invest in its ride line up with more original rides. I guess the some folks would say Mt. Olympus is better becasue it doesn't have clones despite is horrendous operations since some only care for rides.

I have been on the clone at Darien Lake and I will admit I like both coasters but I prefer it at Darien lake. I think the layout fits there better and I LOVE how it goes right along the road. I also how when you walk up to it from under Predator you are looking right up the lift hill. This is just my preference though.

Personally, I love SFA's ride assortment. I mean like any park they could improve but I always have a good time when I go.

We had our first visit to SFA last Friday and it wasn't only the worst Six Flags park I've ever been to (And yes, I include Astroworld in that) it was probably the worst park I've ever been to.

There are 3 coasters that are fun (S:ROS, Batwing, Jokers Jinx) but that's it. And even with those rides they were not maintained in the least. The train on S:ROS had rust inside, the trains were dented, etc. The park itself was run down, not maintained. You could tell there were portions of the park that hadn't even been touched in years. There was some arcade near Wild One and you could tell there was signage on the building that was removed probably years ago and was never touched.

I had heard how bad the park was but I couldn't imagine it was THAT bad.

I agree with the maintenance of the rides... Superman needs to trains IMO! But I think Wild One is the the exception... I think it has been maintained Very well.

I think the maintenance directly reflects the lack of budget the park has probably been given.

I'm pretty sure the parks maintenance budget is set at the park level - not at the chain level.

I'm also wondering if SFA will be getting Flashback - the boomerang from SFoT to fit in the old Two-Face spot...

I do not think its is fair to say a park sucks because you happen to have been to alot of the other parks with the same rides. I went to SFOG and OPERATIONS there, especially for rides, was piss poor compared to SFA. But like many, it seems like some people pay more attention to if a park has clones vs the actual overall park experience. Six Flags America, as a park, has a rounded collection coaster experiences. You have an invert, wooden twister, classing out back wooden, a flyer, a launch coaster, and a hyper, and a stand up. Go to some parks and all you have is wooden coasters. Also.... SFNE has dead ends just like SFA.... albiet not as bad at the long journey to Batman which I agree. When I went to Great Adventure, superman especially as dirty beyond belief, over flowed trash can everywhere and bottles all on the ground... pictures to prove it. Some of the most praised parks have some of the same issues as SFA (rough rides, unreliable rides, clones, ect... SFA can't be singled out on those things alone)

I did not ever say that the park sucks. In a bunch of ways it's better than the other SF parks. We have a passholder only cafe with cheaper food, which they didn't have at the other parks. We have some good entertainment with shows written and produced in-house. The park has some redeeming value, and is definitely improving every year (I am very impressed with what they've done with Apocalypse). I was just pointing out the lack of funding that this park receives from SF. It's not so much the lack of original rides that frustrates me (although that is a part of it), it's the fact that the SF chain obviously pours much more money into the upkeep and improvement of the other parks than it does into SFA. How long will the giant Joker statue go without a left hand? How long will it be until Batwing gets some TLC (its supports are rusting so much that there are holes in them)? Those are the things that should be day to day and year to year maintenance matters, but get neglected and go unfixed. If something breaks, it tends to stay that way. That is my main problem with SFA.

Unfortunately SFA is like the neglected stepchild of the SF chain (though not by far the only one!) and that's sad. Technically SFA is my home park, though I haven't been there since maybe '08 or perhaps before that time. I haven't been there (obviously) since Apocalypse was built, so can't comment on any improvements (or lack of) since then.

However, it is very disappointing to have your home park not get a coaster for over a decade and when they do get one it's an ancient left over from another park that is getting a brand new attraction in its place.

Funny thing when I went to SFOG (I liked it better than SFA but it isn't my favorite park) I bought my tickets on the SF site, and not long after I got home I got a big e-mail survey about my opinions on SFA. The survey had a lot of questions about which parks I went to, and how often, and most importantly why I would choose to go to KD, HP, BGE and other nearby parks instead. I lamented most strongly about them not getting a new coaster in over a decade, so I do think in some sense they are hearing people, but they still have a long way to go.

Know I know not all parks get a new coaster (or other big ride) every couple of years as that is expensive, but usually parks that don't get coasters that frequently are small, family-type parks like Waldameer and HW. I think the problem is that with SFA being park of the SF chain there's some expectation that they could do better with regards to getting new attractions (doesn't even have to be a coaster, even a nice flat ride like Max Air at CP would do the trick) on a more frequent basis. I just wish they would put a little bit more money into getting a new coaster (or other attraction) at least every 4 or 5 years at least. It gives one little reason to go back very often when other nearby parks are building tons of new stuff every couple of years or so.

I went to the park yesterday and I will admit I am happy with this park again. The employees were very nice and most, if not all, seemed like they wanted to work there. Some of the operations were questionable though. They had continuous stacking of all rafts on the Penguin ride. I will admit I was very happy the manager at the Penguin ride was doing her job and catching EVERY line jumper and making them get out of the line. All of the coasters were running. Joker went down for a short time but was brought back up relatively fast. The park was very clean and there was lots of management out and about cleaning up the park.

Now what I consider the bad:

-I do NOT understand having one train operations on coasters that have the LONGEST lines. Superman was running one train and by 5 PM that line was almost as full capacity. Roar had a decent line too but was only running one train. While you have Wild One and Mind Eraser with NO lines using two trains. I have ask several high ups at parks and there is no cost difference of using one train versus two trains.

-The area of the old Flip Side sight needs to be either taken down or put a wall up. It looks hideous!

-The area behind the drop of Roar needs to be fixed up. There is crap laying every where back there and it just looks really bad in my opinion.

-Jokers Jinx NEEDS a paint job. Also so does Batwing if they are going to keep it. Both look terrible.

^I agree with you completely on everything! A little dissapointed to hear about Blizzard River... how many rafts were they running? Most times the ride needs at least 5 boats to running with no stacking due to the fact that it requires a boat to bump the other to catch onto the conveyor belt.

We've already spoken in private about the one train situation....

Overall glad you you were satisfied with the operations. Park needs to work on its backstage visibility (behind roar and two face old spot), needs to put some serious consideration into its philosophy that one train operations are satisfactory (rides should always run every available unit IMO), and needs some more TLC to dated rides (Paint!)

but service (team member demeanor, friendliness, ect...) wise, they are on track which is a HUGE 180 from last decade.

• 2 weeks later...

Another new ride is in the works for SFA in 2013! Here's the quote from their FaceBook page;

In 2012 we brought you APOCALYPSE - THE LAST STAND. Zombies were taking over the world, would you be brave enough to fight back. Now in 2013 we're bringing you.....

OH come on you didn't think we were going to just tell you - did you? On Thursday, August 30th we'll "drop" our new 2013 attraction.

Wanna guess what it might be?! We gave you one hint...how about this: the number in our name is how many can ride at the same time!

What do you think it is?

The only rumor I have heard so far is another water park expansion. Bonzai Pipeline would fit the drop clue, but not the six people part. Perhaps Bonzai Pipeline and a double funnel slide like at Great America? They would use the same tower structure and would add up to six people sliding at once.