TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

If it is not hooked into regular water lines it makes sense. I think it had the waterless urinals. Push a button for water in the sink. Half sized Xcelerators. The overall small size, like a hallway, is just strange. I walked out thinking it was weird and the first thing my kids said was, "That is a weird bathroom."

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's there.

If it is not hooked into regular water lines it makes sense. I think it had the waterless urinals. Push a button for water in the sink. Half sized Xcelerators. The overall small size, like a hallway, is just strange. I walked out thinking it was weird and the first thing my kids said was, "That is a weird bathroom."

All of that plus the faucets don't come out far enough so you have to like touch the sink to even get the water on your hands. Definitely weird.

Visited the park today, had a pretty good time!

Ride notes:

-Batwing is running. Rode the front row, and it was actually a ton of fun, and while it was quite rattly, it wasn't all that rough or uncomfortable. I still consider this the most intense ride in the park.

-Superman was running well. Rode in front and 2nd row of the red train and both delivered quality rides.

-Wild One was absolutely flying! Pleasantly surprised at the intensity today.

-Rode RC before 11am to avoid the line that it rapidly develops. Brought on a couple friends and with our combined weight it really spun. Good fun.

-The drop tower is just as fun as I remember. Short, but quite satisfying.

-Whoever mentioned the scrambler runs fast was totally right. That may have been the best scrambler I've ridden. Do recommend if you have time.

-Roar was running fast but my one ride (2nd to back) was rough, and an uncomfortable seat/lapbar set-up didn't help. I enjoyed it, but others might not.

-Finally rode the train for the first time. Was pleasantly surprised. Decently large layout, and a few parts were quite pretty. You could also get good looks at the old apocalypse trains as well as the old Wild One buzz bar trains if you look in the right spot. I'd recommend if you have 10-15 min to kill. It is quite slow however, especially during the part inside the main park.

Operations notes:

-Everything I looked at but Batwing ran multiple trains. Dispatches overall were some of the best I've seen at this park. Not fantastic or anything, but fast enough to be acceptable.

-Wild One at one point sent a loaded train out before the last one hit the breaks!

-Batwing was still super slow operations, but it has been worse. On the bright side, they were doing a good job of stopping station crowding by only letting in a certain amount of people each train.

-Note for anyone wanting to ride the train: The train only runs at 15 minute intervals from 12pm-6pm on weekends between memorial weekend and labor day.

Other notes:

-Huge crowds, but the vast majority were there for Hurricane Harbor, so lines in the dry park were very reasonable as usual.

-Apparently 1pm is the best time to go to the Gotham City Food Court. No line, and reasonable wait time. Would not recommend later in the day though, since the food ops are normally quite frustrating.

-Turns out that if you bring your own water bottle to the park, food stand employees will fill it up with water for free (ice too if you ask). Very helpful.

-Was able to use my basic dining pass to get a lunch and snack with no difficulties.

Overall, good day! The park is on an upward climb.

All of that plus the faucets don't come out far enough so you have to like touch the sink to even get the water on your hands. Definitely weird.

With all of the enthusiasm over new bathrooms, the Golden Tickets definitely need to add abundance and quality of bathrooms as a new annual award.

I visited on the 26th for the first time since 2016. A few notes:

1. I was disappointed to find Batwing closed. I guess I got unlucky since it supposedly opened a couple days later.

2. I'm pretty sure the blue train on Superman is about to fall apart. Obviously that's not true, but it sure felt like that.

3. Firebird is trash. I despised Apocalypse when I rode it in 2016, but aside from Firebird's amazing new paint scheme and theme, the ride is still terrible. I really do love the color scheme though. I would so much rather watch the ride. It's gorgeous.

Don't worry, I have a few positives to say as well:

1. Joker's Jinx is totally awesome. Why don't people talk about these rides more? I think it's my favorite coaster in the park to be honest. Front row is surprisingly intense and loads of fun.

2. Wild One is excellent. One of my favorite old-school, traditional woodies.

3. The clientele was much better this visit. When I came in 2016, I mostly wanted to leave because I found almost every person I came in contact with extremely irritating. Bouncing basketballs off of Roar's station, line jumping, several near-fights, terrible customer service, etc. This time was MUCH better around - both guests and employees.

I'm still not a big fan of this park, unfortunately, but Joker's Jinx, Superman, and Wild One are definitely rides worth riding. Unless they get an amazing new coaster, RMC Roar, or something large, I likely won't be back for several years. But my 2019 visit was definitely more enjoyable than my 2016 one, so I'm glad the park is slowly improving.

I think SFA is definitely a perfectly "adequate" park with its ride lineup and they keep adding rides. If the Zamperla Giant Discovery comes next year as is rumored that will be awesome. They will have a semi-strong flat collection with that thrown in.

With all of the enthusiasm over new bathrooms, the Golden Tickets definitely need to add abundance and quality of bathrooms as a new annual award.

Can they RMC a bathroom? Maybe add VR?

• 2 weeks later...

Can they RMC a bathroom? Maybe add VR?

Hee hee, yeah give the plumbing system an Iron Horse makeover so it won't clog up if you have to drop a hyper sized deuce!

And yeah, VR in a bathroom would be nice; a different experience if what you ate didn't agree with you.

Rode Firebird. Got a laugh after my second ride, declaring it's exactly the same! Actually the headbanging is not as constant, but the "gotcha" spots are exactly the same such as the double bounce-bang coming out of the corkscrew. Which would be some advantage if it hadn't been 2 years since I last rode it. It looks great though, not just the track paint but the shiny new trains and floors. And you can ride it with bare feet. At least the old giant style standup OTSRs are gone. The loop is good and I kind of enjoy the funky little floorless feel of it but it still hurts your head more than Mind Eraser... speaking of which they removed a row. It does probably shuffle a little less towards the end, when it seemed most of the momentum left was side to side bouncing, but the ride still wants your ears. Roar is getting rougher after the retracking of a couple years ago, but not too much in any spot. Wild One was solid but more popular, and Supes got a rush on the line going towards close, guess that's one thing about closing at 8 in July.

Just realized that I never did a little review of Firebird.

2x better than Apoc with no head banging in the 4th to 6th row. A love tap in the 5th row I got after the corkscrew, but that's it. Don't have sensitive ears, so I'm good.

First row wasn't too bad, but a little more of a jolt than the last 3 rows. 2nd row, I got smashed.

All in all, I will ride, and reride this when I go to the park. I got in 8 rerides that day. Another guy had 35. When it was Apoc, I only rode on National Rollercoaster Day, and that's it. What does that tell you? Taking into account that this is the manufacturer's first go, I can see the mistake with that corkscrew;a reprofile needs to be done.

Colors, landscaping, and 'Firebird' fire spitting mountain were all great. Music is appropriate for the ride, but miss the Apoc theme music.

As always, I give any park a thumbs up for doing, or at least making the attempt to increase guess experience. This is a win. Fire effect looks great at night when they close at 9. They'll be open until 10 next weekend, with a full DJ setup. I'll be there!

Additionally, many said for years that they would never do this. Guess they were wrong..lol..

Not news: Firebird being evacuated.

However, it is in an interesting spot at the top / over the hump lift. I'd be surprised if the train wasn't tied back, but from what I can see from my brief viewing of the live helicopter feed (... lol...) it doesn't look like it.

Been trained on a few coasters, and i will say floorless coasters are the biggest pain in the ass to evac (on a lift hill anyways, in a block brake it's easy peasy.). I've had to do it a few times and trying to lock them in place you can look like a real idiot trying to do it and it takes a few tries sometimes.

I couldn't get a good look but I would think the platforms would be at a really weird angle on the downslope, if my memory serves me right with how they hook in (it's been awhile...)

Back on June 10th Firebird was shut down because it "Woke up grumpy". I have to imagine swapping out trains like that creates a lot of bugs to sort out.

I enjoyed the news footage of many riders waiting to be "rescued" happily waving at the helicopter camera.

This lift-stop "catastrophe" was featured on our local news in Burlington, North Carolina. Why? Jesus people are dramatic. Add that to my GP friends freaking out that they just rode a pendulum ride at Kings Dominion "exactly like the one that collapsed in Egypt" and you can see why people are needlessly scared of thrill rides.

Random question, can Batwing run more than one train at this point?

• 3 weeks later...

This will be an awesome addition to Six Flags America for sure. If they added a Raptor in Gotham City as much as we all like to hate on the park they would have a pretty strong collection of rides to the mean.