TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Half a billion dollar Theme Park to be built in Baghdad

Llewellyn Werner admits he is facing obstacles most amusement park developers never have to deal with – insurgent attacks and looting.

When you are building an amusement park in downtown Baghdad, those risks come with the territory.

Mr Werner, chairman of C3, a Los Angeles-based holding company for private equity firms, is pouring millions of dollars into developing the Baghdad Zoo and Entertainment Experience, a massive American-style amusement park that will feature a skateboard park, rides, a concert theatre and a museum.

It is being designed by the firm that developed Disneyland. “The people need this kind of positive influence. It’s going to have a huge psychological impact,” Mr Werner said.

The 50-acre (20 hectare) swath of land sits adjacent to the Green Zone and encompasses Baghdad’s existing zoo, which was looted, left without power and abandoned after the American-led invasion in 2003. Only 35 of 700 animals survived – some starved, some were stolen and some were killed by Iraqis fearing food shortages.

In the years that followed, the zoo and the surrounding al-Zawra park became an occasional target for insurgent attacks. But in recent months, families have begun to return cautiously for weekend picnics. Renovations have already begun on the zoo, with cages being repainted and new animals arriving, including ostriches, bears and a lion.

Mr Werner, who has been sold a 50-year lease on the site by the Mayor of Baghdad for an undisclosed sum, says that the time is ripe for the amusement park. “I think people will embrace it. They’ll see it as an opportunity for their children regardless if they’re Shia or Sunni. They’ll say their kids deserve a place to play and they’ll leave it alone.”

Ali al-Dabbagh, a spokesman for the Government, is equally optimistic: “There is a shortage of entertainment in the city. Cinemas can’t open. Playgrounds can’t open. The fun park is badly needed for Baghdad. Children don’t have any opportunities to enjoy their childhood.” Mr al-Dabbagh added that entry to the park would be strictly controlled.

The project will cost $500 million (£250 million) and will be managed by Iraqis. Under the terms of the lease, Mr Werner will retain exclusive rights to housing and hotel developments, which he says will be both culturally sensitive and enormously profitable. “I wouldn’t be doing this if I wasn’t making money,” he said. “I also have this wonderful sense that we’re doing the right thing – we’re going to employ thousands of Iraqis. But mostly everything here is for profit.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article3802051.ece

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Where do I start?

Llewellyn Werner admits he is facing obstacles most amusement park developers never have to deal with – insurgent attacks and looting.

Baghdad’s existing zoo, which was looted, left without power and abandoned after the American-led invasion in 2003. Only 35 of 700 animals survived – some starved, some were stolen and some were killed by Iraqis fearing food shortages.

And I'm sure animals around the world are lining up at their chance to live at this new one.

Mr Werner, who has been sold a 50-year lease on the site by the Mayor of Baghdad for an undisclosed sum, says that the time is ripe for the amusement park.
And hey, the nightly fireworks show will be free.

"The fun park is badly needed for Baghdad. ”
Not to mention, less public bombings.

Mr al-Dabbagh added that entry to the park would be strictly controlled.
By RPGs and A-K 47s.

The project will cost $500 million (£250 million) and will be managed by Iraqis.
Yeah, that should work just fine.

It is being designed by the firm that developed Disneyland. “The people need this kind of positive influence. It’s going to have a huge psychological impact,” Mr Werner said.

Followed by my favorite of all:

“I wouldn’t be doing this if I wasn’t making money,” he said. “I also have this wonderful sense that we’re doing the right thing – we’re going to employ thousands of Iraqis. But mostly everything here is for profit.”

TPR trip?

The only things less likely to open then this park would be SFNO and the ACE Coaster Museum.

dt

Dammit!

I saw this thread and was about to post:

"This will happen as soon as SFNO reopens!"

Love you Dave!

"Six Bombs over Bagdhad's first ride will be the 'Iraqi Prisoner Dark Ride!' where guests may possibly be assaulted by people hiding inside the corridors!

We are not responsible for rape, lost or stolen items, death, lost limbs or broken teeth."

That's pretty much what I got out of the article. =]

Calaway "Let's go to SBOB!1" Park

i dont know why some people are making jokes about this. If it is real it is, if its a hoax its a hoax. They need to return to normal life and i think some people are being a bit racist towards then. Most of the people in the middle-east are just stuck in the middle of this pointless crap and they need positive influences and i think a theme park is probably one of the best!

i dont know why some people are making jokes about this. If it is real it is, if its a hoax its a hoax. They need to return to normal life and i think some people are being a bit racist towards then. Most of the people in the middle-east are just stuck in the middle of this pointless crap and they need positive influences and i think a theme park is probably one of the best!

JJ, you couldn't of said it better. Give the people credit over there...at least they're doing what they can to make their lives a little less frightening and more fun. Be supportive of a new amusement park coming on board...oye!

On one hand, I share opinions with many of you about this thing. It looks crazy, stupid, and alot of other sutff.

On the other hand, being from the middle east I know how global media can often make places look different than they actually are. It could be that Bhagdad, much like the gaza strip or Israel, is SHOWN as being a hellhole all over, but is really only bad at certain areas. For example, the center of the Gaza strip and basically any place in Israel that's far from the borders are a whole lot better and saner, so I wouldnt jump to conclusions just because the name Bhagdad was dropped.

It really depends on if the area the aprk will be built in is as bad as what the media shows bhagdad to be like, and how well tthe area will be secured.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

There is comedy in the notion of installing a half a billion dollar amusement park into a war zone

This kinda throws me into the same feeling I have with the giant construction and city uplift in Dubai, with the Seaworld park and whatnot. I mean, who can have a good time at a resort when in the back of your mind your worrying about some whackos with giant warheads and men with ak 47's not too far off in the distance.

Personally, I'll stick with WDW.

I prefer this article about this park.

I like the last paragraph. (( A $1 million skateboard park, the first phase of the development, will open in July, while the first skateboards are set to arrive in Baghdad late NEXT year. ))

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s3i34265

The California company that is working to turn a 50-acre swath of land in Baghdad into an amusement park, says that the rides it has planned are simply 'explosive'.

The CEO of C3, a Los Angeles-based holding company for private equity firms, is investing millions of dollars in the theme park which will be located adjacent to the Green Zone.

"We are going to have some exciting rides" said the CEO "For example Dodgem Cars - however one in every three will have a car bomb inside it. Dare you ride?" he smiled.

"Also we will have Roller Coasters that will speed past check points with out stopping - keep those arms in and heads down!" he chuckled.

"There will be the 'Safe House' - a bit like a Fun House, but without the fun. Then of course there will be the 'Ghosts of The Past Train' - a frightening ride that will remind everyone that revolution could once again be lurking around every corner --- boo!"

And thats not all.

"We will have shooting galleries - probably in the car parks and on the roads to the fun park. It's just a great concept" said the CEO

"The people need this kind of positive influence. It's going to have a huge psychological impact - and it will only cost a years salary for a family of four to get in!"

A $1 million skateboard park, the first phase of the development, will open in July, while the first skateboards are set to arrive in Baghdad late NEXT year.