TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^^I think that Impulse is actually better. Not as much airtime (except for the 0-g roll), but I thought Fahrenheit wasn't as forceful. And Impulse has the best lap bars ever made aside from the B&M clam-shells, and smoother track.

Fahrenheit "wow" moments:

1. First drop

2. Snappy corkscrew 1

3. Snappy corkscrew 2

4. Disorienting change of direction followed by solid airtime hill (not ejector but decent)

Impulse "wow" moments:

1. First drop (though not as good)

2. ???

Nothing else about Impulse could be called forceful at all, and I actually kind of dislike hangtime under most circumstances.

I didn't really feel much of a snap on Fahrenheit's corkscrews, and the rounded loop on Impulse is pretty intense, as well as the helix. And I prefer Impulse's cobra roll over Fahrenheit's cobra roll or Norwegian loop.

I like both Fahrenheit and Impulse for different reasons. They're both delightfully wacky coasters. I like Fahrenheit's Norwegian loop, the quick corkscrews and that end figure-eight section. I like Impulse's quick drop, the nice "kicks" of forces throughout the ride and the roll with hang time.

But despite Impulse's "kicks" it's definitely the "slightly less intense" (saying "more tame" is doing Impulse a disservice) of the two.

I find it a bit odd that Fahrenheit is not so popular. Of course it's very tough to compete against skyrush and storm runner but I'd rank it more or less like great bear (after those two coasters). Also, I only rode it in one day but none of my rides were rough or shaky at all.

Fahrenheit is "unpopular" because its queue moves so slowly.

From what I've seen, first-time guests to Hersheypark see the long queue and say, "we'll do it later" and then inevitably forget about it for the rest of the day. Veterans know how slowly the queue moves regardless of how many people are in it, and get their Fahrenheit ride in every few visits instead of every visit.

Great Bear is so underrated, it always has been. Just throwing that out there.

After Storm Runner I think it's likely my favorite coaster in the park.

I agree but it is really just the soft ending that ruins it for most people. It's like a movie that is awesome but the ending sucks, that's all people remember out of it

And on this Fahrenheit debate, I'm glad we finally are comparing it to a similar coaster, I dislike when people compare it to Maverick since they are two totally different experiences. I have yet to ride impulse so I cannot comment yet, however, I will say I quite like Fahrenheit but stacking up against Storm Runner and Skyrush it can get lost in the mix

Yeah I think if it wasn't an Intamin, and if the line wasn't always so long, people would look at it more favorably. I used to like it a lot less until I got there at opening and got to ride it several times in a row with no line, then I really began to appreciate it. It's really hard to exaggerate how crazy that first drop is in the back row.

Seems I'm in the minority but I absolutely love Fahrenheit. It's in my top 10 (although in the 10th spot) Took me very much by surprise when I rode it last August. I say it's the 3rd best ride in the park.

I agree but it is really just the soft ending that ruins it for most people. It's like a movie that is awesome but the ending sucks, that's all people remember out of it

And on this Fahrenheit debate, I'm glad we finally are comparing it to a similar coaster, I dislike when people compare it to Maverick since they are two totally different experiences. I have yet to ride impulse so I cannot comment yet, however, I will say I quite like Fahrenheit but stacking up against Storm Runner and Skyrush it can get lost in the mix

I know that's always been the complaint but it never bothered me. I sort of like the fake-out corkscrew it pulls and the meandering finale doesn't ruin an otherwise great coaster for me.

Yeah I think if it wasn't an Intamin, and if the line wasn't always so long, people would look at it more favorably.

Why would anyone rank it lower because it's an intamin?

As to great bear, the first bit is great: the pre-drop helix is quite forceful; the drop itself might not be amazing but then most drops on B&M inverts are, in my opinion, nothing special; the loop and immelmann are great fun; the zero g is super fast and I love the turn right after as you get a pop of air in the beginning and then the forces kick in. The problem is the rest as I find the straight section before the corkscrew already too long (it would be fun if it had a heart line roll or something) and then you get that part after the corkscrew..... I guess it would be fine if the ride were fairly long but it isn't and, especially for that reason, it should have a great ending like talon, in my opinion, does.

It's still a solid good ride but when you have coasters like storm runner and skyrush....

Just out of curiosity, how would everyone here rate Fahrenheit as a coaster so ignoring lack of theming and horrible name?

Although you said to ignore it, I actually would like to comment on how I actually find the theming and name interesting and different, but that also isn't what you asked for

Fahrenheit is a good ride. It's very enjoyable, but lacks intensity. If you're just looking for a good ride, this is for you, but many people complain that it's just kinda ok. I would like to note that it has gotten significantly shakier, but not until the second half of the cobra roll.

Yeah I think if it wasn't an Intamin, and if the line wasn't always so long, people would look at it more favorably.

Why would anyone rank it lower because it's an intamin?

Because people see the track and trains and immediately have very high expectations as to intensity due to rides like Maverick and iSpeed. If it was a Eurofighter everyone would be talking about how it's the best eurofighter of its size and there'd be no negative comments.

I like both Fahrenheit and Impulse for different reasons. They're both delightfully wacky coasters. I like Fahrenheit's Norwegian loop, the quick corkscrews and that end figure-eight section.

You didn't mention Fahrenheit's drop, as I'm assuming you preferred Impulse's, but who doesn't like a beyond vertical drop? I'm going to put words in your mouth and say you like everything about Fahrenheit but the Cobra Roll, and I'll agree that the Cobra Roll isn't as great as the rest of the ride.

I actually thought Fahrenheit had decent forces near the bottom of each element. I rode in the back seat on both of my rides and I got some decent air coming out of the Norwegian Loop. The corkscrews may not be as snappy as some of B&M's, but they are smooth and they kick ass! I think Fahrenheit is a great ride which is underrated by coaster enthusiasts, yet possibly overrated by the general public. In my opinion, it is better than Great Bear and almost as good as Storm Runner.

^Even though I enjoy wing coasters, I think that Great Bear does what those coasters try to do, but Great Bear executes it much better. It's so graceful, quick, and smooth, with lots of fantastic scenery and an awesome location interacting with a bunch of other rides. And it has its intense moments, such as the first few inversions and the corkscrew at the end scattered out through the layout well so it doesn't get boring. Even though it may be about average for a B&M invert, it still sits in my top 15 steel coasters.

I'm just gonna say this: if Hershey managed to install a giga coaster at some point, they would be the best park on the east coast (besides the Orlando parks).

No they won't be. See previous post.

Actually, serious for a moment, wasn't it a total drag for Hersheypark to get planning permission for Skyrush, at 200 feet? I feel like they're way too close to Hershey the actual town to install a monster of a coaster, especially now that their boundaries will be even closer to the town with the relocation of Park Boulevard?

^I thought the big issue with Skyrush was cause of the creek interaction and that apartment complex directly in line with the lift hill across the road. KT is 255ft I think so you have to assume a giga isn't totally out of reach with 45 more feet

Screw a giga. Why does everyone feel every damn park needs a giga? Can we get over the giga mania?

Hershey needs a great adult flat like a Falcons Fury style drop tower, or any drop tower. It is an Intamin, and we know how Hershey loves Intamin...

I of course would be satisfied with the worlds largest Screaming Swing.

I wasn't expecting much out of Mehrenheit going in, and it in turn did not disappoint. I like it enough to warrant a token ride per-visit (line permitting). It looks really cool, though.

I like it more than any Gerstlauer Eurofighter I've ridden.

Agreed, although that's not saying much.

Great Bear was the biggest surprise at the park for me. I knew Skyrush and Storm Runner would be great, but Great Bear is among my favorite B&M Inverts. What a great setting, too.

I don't think Hershey needs another coaster right now. Yeah, any park could always use a good flat or coaster...But having gone there twice, I've never been too impressed with their waterpark. Maybe it might be best if this park removes a ride or two and expand their waterpark. And also that queue that you have to stand in to get in the wave pool is ridiculous. Get rid of that and build another pool for godsakes.

Screw a giga. Why does everyone feel every damn park needs a giga? Can we get over the giga mania?

Hershey needs a great adult flat like a Falcons Fury style drop tower, or any drop tower. It is an Intamin, and we know how Hershey loves Intamin...

I of course would be satisfied with the worlds largest Screaming Swing.

I agree this is the glaring hole in their line up-- a legit drop tower. I suspect that the park is adverse to a drop tower b/c the Kissing Tower is so iconic. I think if they do build a drop tower it will be greater or less than the the Kissing Tower's 250 ft.

On a personal note I normally do not enjoy drop towers but for the sake of not looking weak I normally get on them however Falcon Fury is one of the scariest rides ever invented, lol.