TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I've been on my fair share of coasters, and maybe I'm just not reading all of the warning signs, but do most rides include a clause that you need to make sure your prosthesis is property attached.

I can just see it now. Some kid is going to have finally worked up the nerve to ride Manta, his first major coaster! Right as he goes to get in line for the ride, he watches the train fly by and some guys arm rip off and fall to the ground.

$50 for a trip to Seaworld, $25,000 for the counseling after seeing the arm rip off, the expression on the kids face, priceless.

here you go!!! right down the road!!!

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/2403335/detail.html

All this theming in the line is so cool! It's like...going through the zoo and eventually getting to ride a B&M Flyer!

BUT! Will the aquariums be too distracting and hold up the line? ie...people will be watching the rays, not the line. I don't think it will be a big deal, but just something that popped into my head.

"Wow" is the best I can describe Manta. I finally got to ride this today and let me tell you, it has by far exceeded by expectations.

First of all, this is my first ever flying coaster so I have nothing to compare it to but after hearing everything from flyers being too slow, not exciting, to not intense except only for the pretzel loop, I didn't know how Manta would hold up.

Manta has exceeded all of my expectations and then some. The pacing of this ride is amazing and this ride has some pretty intense moments. Personally, I have never felt such intensity on any coaster I rode before. The strongest was of course during the pretzel loop, I was like telling myself during the pretzel loop, "when will it end!"

I got the chance to ride in row 3 the first time, after getting off I couldn't imagine how much more intense it could get as it was pretty strong. Later I rode row 7 and yeah, it was pretty intense. Getting wet wise, the first time I rode on the right hand side and my leg got wet from the splash. Second time I rode on the left and got a little splash from the waterfall.

Overall, one of the most enjoyable coaster experience I had. This ride is fun and we were all smiling and laughing at the end. Be prepare though, it can be intense in some parts and I saw some people who didn't look too good when the coaster return to the station.

Conclusion:

A must ride. To me, enjoyable and thrilling and the views from the coaster and themeing are amazing.

I really, really like this ride. I had my doubts about it, as it looks short in pictures and video. This really wasn't the case. The foot/head/arm/stomach choppers actually really add to the experience and the ride never really lets up. I've ridden it 3 times so far, in the front, back, and middle, and I don't think I could handle doing the back too much. Pretzel loops are on the edge of what I can handle, and I'm pretty sure I grayed out yesterday on it.

So, I also shot some video, none of it you haven't seen already, except for this (I think). It's a train getting stopped on the mid-course brakes and the splash effect getting confused. What's interesting to note is that I overheard a person from Sea World saying that this was because one of the trains didn't clear the final brake run yet. This means that they only put in enough block brakes for 1 train on the brake run, which seems weird to me.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=mantaestop_dcsk[/coastertube]

I got to ride today and it was definitely all that I hoped it would be. I will echo what others have said about the Pretzel, it is just crazy. The intensity in the back car is about as high as I ever care to experience. This was my first Flyer so I can't compare to anything but it surprised me.

The whole area is just awesome. Seaworld has one to be proud of.

I really liked your report, John. I've never seen a "pop up" thing in any aquarium ever. I can't wait to get to Sea World some time, I'd have a blast especially with this new coaster!

Not For Sale, the video was pretty good. That's funny that the cannons got confused. I guess not all technology is perfect. Heck, water cannons are simple enough, can't they fix those?

I will echo what others have said about the Pretzel, it is just crazy. The intensity in the back car is about as high as I ever care to experience.

It is seriously intense, I rode in the back today wondering can it really be more intense that in the front or even the middle. Uhhh YES!!! In this picture its not my crappy camera or the speed of the coaster it simply looks like it feels!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the Manta pics and updates. Heading up this weekend to check it out.

Does anyone have a feel for when the ride has been open. Is it still only open in the afternoons, or have they expanded the hours. I know they can change at any time, but just wondering what it's been like. Park is currently open from 9:00 - 7:00.

Does anyone have a feel for when the ride has been open. Is it still only open in the afternoons, or have they expanded the hours. I know they can change at any time, but just wondering what it's been like. Park is currently open from 9:00 - 7:00.

During the official soft preview stage, Manta has been opening at noon and staying open until the park close. This will continue until the 10th I believe, no words of the hours after the 10th. However, even though they been opening at noon, ride is still subject to closure at anytime.

When I went on Wednesday, my friend ask the employee in front of Manta around 11 when the ride would open and she said "sometime between 12 and 3." However, I felt it would open at 12 anyways so we lined up at 11:30 and they started letting guests into the queue at 11:45. Waited no more than 15 minutes and we were off. As far as I know, it was opened the rest of the day with no delay.

WOW!!

Awesome!!!

I can´t avoid a comparison between Manta and Tatsu. Both have an intense pretzel loop, but the landscapes are totally different.

Have anybody ridden both coasters and share a brief comparison of the experience?

Thanks!

^I haven't ridden Manta (I hope to sometime soon), but I personally didn't like Tatsu... For me, the pretzel loop was too intense, a lot bigger than Superman: Ultimate Flight. The rest of the ride was good, but I'll have to try it again soon just to make sure that it is better. Now that my neck is a little tougher.

Manta is about the same "size" as S:UF. The pretzel loop is about the same height, the layout isn't as tall, and it has midcourse brakes. Those make it seem like a better ride to me. And the themeing is top notch; Sea World/Bush Gardens always does a pretty good job on new rides. I'll have to ride it to see what it's like, but I think Manta will win over the other 2 flyers I've been on.

I dont see whats so bad about tatsu! It looks like tatsu kicks the crap out of this thing in the actual track, but I'll have to hand it to Manta for the theming, It's incredible! They did a really nice job on Manta! I think if the pretzal loop is anywhere near as intense as Tatsu's is then thats a good thing, Iv'e also rode SUF at my home park sfgam (which is pretty much the lamest B&M ever) so after having been on Tatsu, SUF is pretty much not worth the horrible wait because its so hyped up by the GP at sfgam, they like that thing more then raging bull! hopefully I'll be able to check out Manta soon

Ive just been sent one of those email ride pic things from my lady. She looks like she is enjoying it. Her friend not so much (Manta is her first ever coaster ride). Havent spoken to her yet so I dont know what she thinks of it. Given the expression on her face though, I think she loves it.

Im so jealous.

I've been on both Tatsu and Manta. I wrote about it more a few pages back. I think both pretzels are close to the same intensity, but Manta just seems to be more flowing and smooth to me than Tatsu. I liked Tatsu, but I like Manta better. The public seems to *love* Manta. I've heard a number of people at the park mention how much they enjoyed it. The number of people just standing around taking pictures would make you think you're at some ACE convention, minus all the dorkiness obviously!

BUT! Will the aquariums be too distracting and hold up the line? ie...people will be watching the rays, not the line. I don't think it will be a big deal, but just something that popped into my head.

It does tend to get the queue held back, especially in the large ray tank area of the queue. But it only takes them about a minute to realize that the line has moved, so it's not too bad.

It does tend to get the queue held back, especially in the large ray tank area of the queue. But it only takes them about a minute to realize that the line has moved, so it's not too bad.

And from where the aquarium windows are located to where you split to go up to each loading platform, you won't be held too much longer if someone does hang out and watch the sealife. I'd say if they stood there for five minutes and let the line go, they would still catch up before the loading platform, so it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Even if this does happen, think of it as more time in the air conditioned building!

^ I was there Wednesday, when we got to the ride they were running both stations and it was pretty much a walk-on. After a while of the ride being pretty dead they closed one station and went down to two-train operation and the line went back to right past the fresh water aquarium.

Today they opened Manta around 9:30AM so there could be a possibility that Manta may be moving to an earlier opening schedule (hours wise) and longer hours of operation.

As for the station, today around 5, they ran two trains on both stations and line was about a 25 minutes wait at that time. The line extended to the main stingray tank window. Earlier in the day it was probably a walk-on as they ran three trains and there was only an 5 minutes wait.

Today I got an ride in the back roll and it was fun, the intensity didn't feel as bad as on Wednesday when I went on row 3 and 7. Felt really smooth today from the back row.

I rode Manta twice on Thursday afternoon. Got to the park around 3 pm. The wait posted 15 minutes, but I waited about 25 minutes. The line started in the first aquarium. They only had one station open. The second time I rode the line was outside, but they opened both stations, so the line moved pretty quickly. I rode front row both times, which was fine as I really didn't want to experience the more intense back row. After greying out on Kawasemi last fall and maybe because I'm getting older I didn't really want to experience too much of a intense ride today.

I have ridden Tatsu at SFMM, Superman Ultimate Flight at SFOG, Batwing at SFA and Air at Alton Towers. I actually really like flyers. I think Tatsu is more intense than Manta. But Manta is a thrilling ride. For me personally I am really a big themed- attraction type of guy. I look at the whole experience not just if it is forceful ride. I think the whole storyline of the attraction is great. Never have I been in a queue were the people in line looked more relaxed from looking at the exhibits. It really is a very peaceful experience. I think this is perfect for a Florida park, wear quests can cool off while waiting. The aquariums are beautiful. I would have to say that this queue is up there with the attention to detail as the castle queue for Dueling Dragons at IOA.

The ride itself if fun, I think that it will make coaster fans and the general public very happy. As I mentioned before I like flyers, just 2 things I don't like about flyers: you have to look up to see wear you're going and if both stations aren't open, hanging face down to go into the station really sucks. But I love the maneuvers and the off ride elements that Manta experiences.

From the crowds surrounding the ride it is a real crowd pleaser. I think it is a fantastic addition to Sea World Orlando.

manta1.jpg.d245e51cb20b46566542f5b6f033e4fc.jpg

I figure everyone has seen enough photos of the ride, but here is an added one.

Got to ride Manta 7 times today. Ride wait times ranged from 10 to 30 minutes. It opened around 9:30. Did see they shut the ride line a couple of times during the day, but never for any length of time.

Important Note: LADIES, if you have shoulder length or longer hair, be sure to put your hair up. Saw a lot of pictures (including my wife's first ride) where the ladies had their face completely covered by their hair.

What surprised me about riding in the back, was not just how many G's you pull in the pretzel loop, but HOW LONG you pull those G's. And to everyone who says it "looks slow", you haven't ridden it. For a flyer, the pacing is great.

Sea World and B&M were smart about building this "attraction". Instead of building the biggest, tallest or fastest, they said let's take a proven design, that hasn't been built in Florida, and put a true Sea World spin on it. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Two of the times the ride malfunctioned today, I was on it. Just my luck, haha.

The splash effect is back on full force, it's even bigger than it was the first day it opened. When I rode on the right side, I stuck my hand out and hit the water splash with no problem... but I got pretty wet and the person behind me got soaked. Oops