TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I saw this posted on reddit. "Offical Plan" put out by the park at a Town Council Meeting. Anybody know more?

b24330izhy7y.jpg

It's got:

- 4 COASTERS! Including Kiddie wood, family steel (Vekoma family invert), B&M Hyper (!!!), and Launch coaster (Intamin Impulse)

- A ton of new waterpark upgrades including a new entrance, a water coaster, a capsule slide, and more!

- New Flume

- New Starflyer and new slingshot

I saw this posted on reddit. "Offical Plan" put out by the park at a Town Council Meeting. Anybody know more?

b24330izhy7y.jpg

It's got:

- 4 COASTERS! Including Kiddie wood, family steel (Vekoma family invert), B&M Hyper (!!!), and Launch coaster (Intamin Impulse)

- A ton of new waterpark upgrades including a new entrance, a water coaster, a capsule slide, and more!

- New Flume

- New Starflyer and new slingshot

Didn't we already talk about this on page 1048?

http://www.santaclaraca.gov/Home/Components/BusinessDirectory/BusinessDirectory/109/3649

Their master plan was released. Purposes 245 foot tall coaster, 230 foot tall swing ride and 80 foot tall water ride.

It says "Twists on both ends" so it must be either Wicked Twister or a brand new Intamin Impulse. That's a weird route to take considering Intamins are so high maintenance and break down a lot. But it checks off the launch coaster spot, and that's what I think they care about. Also if it is Wicked Twister maybe Cedar Point will work on that long rumored boardwalk section

Here's a Plan I created of when I think all these things will be coming, let me know what you think!

2018: Blackbeard’s Revenge Complex, and new Waterpark Gate replacing part of the Planet Snoopy area and Woodstock Express Coaster

2019: Sky Screamer

2020: Start work on the entertainment district and 1-2 family flats

2021: Hyper Coaster and Entertainment District Opens

2022: Water Coaster

2023: 3D Dark Ride probably by Triotech, but I hope Sally Corp

2024: Vekoma Jr. Invert and Ropes Course

2025: Thrilling and Family Flats

2026: Grizzly RMC, but with wooden topper track instead of Ibox for 50th anniversary

2027:Mat Racer and Kids Splash Pad

2028: Slingshot and Kids Wooden Coaster

2029: Planet Snoopy Addition

2030: Thrilling Flats

2031:Family Raft Slide

2032:Impulse Coaster

2033:Flume Ride

2034: Water Park and Dino’s Alive

2035:Thrilling Flats

2036: Gale Force Clone

2037: Big Celebration of Ending of 20 year plan! New Shows and a big 2 week event!!!!!

I did some detective work with the new master plan map to see what might be removed in the course of expansion. Given the hard-to-follow detailing of the map, I may not have done things accurately, but I'll try to break down what I have.

CGA Before Master Plan:

198536628_cgamasterplan.thumb.jpg.baec4e125c2d7723374ff2b2632bb414.jpg

CGA After Master Plan (note the change in the areas marked red and blue):

485191103_cgabeforemasterplan.thumb.jpg.16b4d459f98e3495754649896fc5db45.jpg

#1-5, 7: Entertainment and Special Event Zone

The red Entertainment region of the map covers most of Orleans Place and Celebration Plaza. Based on that, potential ride casualties of the expansion here would be Rue Le Dodge, Delta Flyer, and Celebration Swings. Eyeballing it from Google Earth, Flight Deck's station, final turn, and most of its queue appear to still be in the Theme Park zone. Though Carousel Columbia is within this zone on the map, my guess is that it would either be inside wherever the new entrance is or a free(?) part of the entertainment zone.

#6, 16-17: New Water Park Entrance and Water Park Expansion

The blue Water Park region adds land at the southeast corner and to the east, appearing to absorb Loggers Run, HMB Endeavor, and Woodstock Express. Though I feel it wouldn't be too much of a surprise for Loggers Run to leave, given that it is over 40 years old and made by Arrow, it may still have a home in the water park section, kind of like how Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica at Holiday World was part of both the dry park and the water park at different times in its life. Also, the dark blue region and number 17 over the Screamin' Wombat/Ripsnort Ridge makes it look like their body slide tower is going to be removed for water park expansion.

#10-15, 18: New Rides in Theme Park, Planet Snoopy Expansion/Improvements, and Picnic Grove Removal

This part seems to have some issues. First off, the inclusion of the theaters (#13) seems questionable considering how much was just invested into Mass Effect: New Earth. A few number 12s also show up in places other than Vortex/Patriot, including over Thunder Raceway and Whitewater Falls; these rides will likely be removed. The expansion of Planet Snoopy doesn't seem to cover any new ground, though.

Interestingly, a number 14 appears to cover the entirety of Grizzly and the Speedway as well as part of Demon. I doubt that the coasters will be completely removed for a ropes course and a Dinosaurs Alive attraction; maybe the inclusion of all of Grizzly should point to RMC (the "increase of noise in the Grizzly area"?), but I'm doubting that as well for the time being.

The only other possible removals I can see on the map are the IMAX for ropes course/dinos and a compound region over Orbit and Flying Eagles for a new family ride; seeing as this space is bigger than the other family ride spaces, it seems this could be the family invert site.

Overall, this looks like a lot of rides on the chopping block over the next 20 years, although this is not too much of a shock considering how land-locked the park is and how long the timeframe is. I can't wait to see how all of this expansion plays out!

Didn't we already talk about this on page 1048?

This is a bit different from what was on that page. That was just the master plan, this is more of a presentation by the park to the city of Santa Clara, which seems to have a bit more detail on what they plan to add in the park.

I was just checking out that Facebook post. I noticed it says 're-market attraction' for vortex roller coaster. Doesn't that mean it will be from another park?

No, that's referring to the Vortex to Patriot floorless conversion for this year.

I watched a little bit of the meeting, and dug out the full presentation from the background notes. I wrote about them (and link to the full presentation) over at Coater101, but to me the most exciting things were the specifics of the mini-steel coaster as a suspended one (which I don't think we've heard before), the mention of a kiddie wooden coaster, and the impulse coaster. I also found it really interesting that the slides mentioned both 4D interactive ride and a wooden out-and-back coaster. It doesn't make sense these would refer to Gold Striker and Mass Effect, since the presentation was from September and they both exist, and neither of them quite fit the descriptions.

The 4D ride paragraph highlights interactivity, talking about scores and controllers, and mentions possibly being a tracked ride. That made me think maybe something on the other half of the Action Theater, or if you wanted a tracked dark ride, maybe something like the Pictorium (which is still standing, right?). It does talk about an existing theater conversion, so I guess it could be one of the other theaters too, but those seem less likely.

The wooden coaster possibility gets its own dedicated slide (the only others to do so are the hyper coaster and the family suspended coaster), and it specifically says "An out-and-back version with a few bells and whistles would be a good addition for the Park.” That definitely isn't Gold Striker, and makes me wonder if the earlier reported proposal for an increase in noise near Grizzly could be a Grizzly replacement or upgrade (is an RMC "bells and whistles"?).

Either way, I think it sounds like those two things are certainly on the table for future expansion. Who knows how much of this will happen, but its definitely exciting to see what options CGA/CF are thinking about. It was also nice to hear that the public comments at the meeting were basically all positive for the park expansion.

The 4D ride paragraph highlights interactivity, talking about scores and controllers, and mentions possibly being a tracked ride. That made me think maybe something on the other half of the Action Theater, or if you wanted a tracked dark ride, maybe something like the Pictorium (which is still standing, right?). It does talk about an existing theater conversion, so I guess it could be one of the other theaters too, but those seem less likely.

I know I'd love to see them do something with the unused side of the Action Theater (I believe at the moment, they were using it for storage plus as the Haunt makeup department). If I had to guess, they'll either make a clone of the Plants vs Zombies ride at Carowinds, use a different EA IP, or do something original (personally I think they should do a clone of Mass Effect on the other side but have it go to a different location instead of Terra Nova). Though I agree, if they make it a dark ride, they should use the old Pictorium building, since they don't do much with it other than have it be part of a Haunt maze. I'm more towards having a dark ride than using the other side of the Action Theater for an interactive 4D attraction. I think it has more potential, plus there aren't that many NorCal parks that have a dark ride (only one I can think of is SCBB).

Looks like they're already hard at work with converting the station for Patriot. Photo courtesy of CGA facebook.

I'm assuming when they say "Opening Day" they don't only mean the park but Patriot as well? If so, that's great news. I was thinking about heading up to the park over Spring Break and would love to catch it on opening day.

I'd hope so. It'd be a shame if the opening was delayed just like what happened with Gold Striker and Mass Effect. I have faith that Patriot will be completed by opening day. I was thinking about heading to the park during Spring Break as well

I'd hope so. It'd be a shame if the opening was delayed just like what happened with Gold Striker and Mass Effect. I have faith that Patriot will be completed by opening day. I was thinking about heading to the park during Spring Break as well

Yeah, I seem to remember last year they were really unclear whether Mass Effect would be opening on opening day, until they said like a week before that it wouldn't be ready. It'd be nice if Patriot was ready then, but until they're more explicit I'm not counting on it (sure looks like its made a lot of progress, though!).

Also, completely agree that I'd love for them to add a second Mass Effect to the other side and have it be a different trip. That is the big thing it's missing is the variety of like a Star Tours (although getting different actors at different times of day helps with that).

Edited by CrazedZooChimp