TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nürburgring launched coaster

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine there to be a lot of pressure building up to get the train to that speed,and the tank just couldn't hold it.I am glad all of this is happening before they let people on the damn thing. Could you imagine sitting there waiting to launch and them BAM ........helluva launch LMAO

I'm just happy that no one got hurt I mean that could have been a serious accident if there were people on it.

robinschroder:

I wonder if it will ever actually take the 'world's fastest' record before the F1 coaster at the Ferrari Experience opens in 2010!

Same here, but from one of the pictures that they took of what looks to be part of the launch mechanism it looks pretty serious. Only time will tell.

Not to mention how long Kingda Ka was down when it had its "major" accident right after it opened. I know they are two different types of accidents and coasters but both still use some serious force to accelerate the train. If this is anything as bad as they seem to be making it, this might be a very long fix I fear.

^Especially after having so many problems with the prototype.

Dodonpa doesn't have those problems, does it?

So S&S seems to have air launches down (Shot Towers, Dodonpa) so what exactly went wrong? I got my friend who speaks German to translate parts of the article and it was something about explosion... in which case one of the air tanks just went poof.

Yikes! That looks pretty bad...

I keep opening this thread, hoping to find reports that the coaster has opened and is running the way it's supposed to, but the only thing that is ever posted seems to be bad news.

New press articles say that the park lied when they said no one was injured. A few workers close to the coaster had problems with the ears after the loud explosion and needed medical attention.

One worker already got an ear operation in a clinic. So thats an accident you really don't want to be close to.

hope that S&S can work out the kinks with their launched coasters because they have not had a very good track record with them.

That seems to be the case with lots of their rides. The El Loco that just got built at Flamingoland is constantly experiencing downtime for really silly in-built reasons, and the Combo Tower at the same park took the last 4 years to actually be able to run on full combo mode... Booooo!

I too saw the program on tv showing Ring Racer operating and I had no idea it was even ready to run. I am only a little surprised that it is experiencing difficulties, S&S is one of the few attraction-building companies that has some cohones to build something this fast and it seems like every time someone goes for a speed record there's hell to pay... TTD, KK...

I at least give S&S credit for making insane designs like the El Loco, even if they take a while to work the bugs out.

^ I understand a little bit of german, so I try to make a summary of the article. In fact, not much new information can be found in the article but here we go.

"The technical problems at the Nurburgring don't seem to stop. Thursday there was again a loud explosion and again caused by Ring-Racer. The explosion was so loud, that some windows (? not sure about this word) of the presscenter building at the other side of the start/finish zone were broken. Nobody got injured. Also no cars were on the Nurburgring. This would have been very different on Friday when the Superbike WM would have started.

The damage and required repairing will be anylised in the next days. Only in the beginning of the week (last week that is) , Nurburgring had announced that Ringracer would open by end this month, latest beginning next month. The impact of the next set back on the opening date is not yet known.

Since mid July, a technical problem at the pneumatical launchsystem kept the rollercoaster from opening. Before that, testrides have been taking place. During a F1 weekend, even ex world champion M. Schumacher rode it. The spare parts needed to repair the technical problem, were built in only recently and Ring_racer was running testrides again since Tuesday"

That's more or less it I think. So not really new information.

Sorry if I would have mistakes. German nor English are my usual tongue. If I translated something wrong, don't hesitate to let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Ring Racer closed until spring 2010

Start frei für den Ringracer - aber erst im Frühjahr

Nürburg Keine Experimente mehr: Nach Unfällen im Juli und September wird die Achterbahn "Ringracer" am Nürburgring erst im Frühjahr 2010 in Betrieb genommen. Das erklärte der Geschäftsführer des Freizeitparks "Ringwerk", Andreas Stickel.

Den wirtschaftlichen Schaden der Nürburgring GmbH soll der Achterbahn-Hersteller tragen, die Firma "S&S Power" aus den USA. Das sei über Strafen im Kaufvertrag geregelt. Da die Kaufsumme für den Coaster, 12 Millionen Euro, noch nicht in Gänze überwiesen sei, verfüge man über Rücklagen. Einbehalten wurden laut Wirtschaftsminister Hendrik Hering (SPD) 2,3 Millionen US-Dollar. Entsprechende Vertragsstrafen wurden gegenüber dem Hersteller bereits geltend gemacht.

Die Einnahmeverluste durch den Ausfall des "Ringracer" werden unterm Strich deutlich höher sein als die bisher kalkulierten 600 000 Euro: Der Betrag sei nur bis Jahresende gerechnet, stellte Hering im Wirtschaftsausschuss des Landtags klar. "Sie können ruhig sagen, dass es eine Million werden wird", meinte FDP-Fraktionsvize Günter Eymael. Er fragte auch nach der Reputation des Achterbahnbauers. Hering legte dar, dass die zu 90 Prozent dem Land gehörende Nürburgring GmbH sich bei der Ausschreibung im Frühjahr 2007 an die Vergaberegeln für öffentliche Aufträge halten und dem günstigsten von drei Bietern den Zuschlag erteilen musste. "S&S Power" habe eine Referenzliste von Coaster-Bahnen in mehreren Ländern vorgelegt.

Mehr als entgangene Einnahmen beschäftigt die Macher am Ring und auch den Landtagsausschuss jedoch die Frage nach der Ursache für den zweiten Ringracer-Unfall vom 3. September. Dabei wurden sieben Menschen verletzt. Zwei davon befinden sich noch in ärztlicher Behandlung, zwei klagen weiterhin über gesundheitliche Probleme durch den im besten Wortsinne ohrenbetäubenden Knall bei dem Unfall.

Dass es Verletzte gab, räumte der Ring erst Tage später ein. Auf die Frage der CDU nannte Hering als Begründung Kommunikationsverzögerungen innerhalb der Ring GmbH. Unterdessen wurde neben der Herstellerfirma, TÜV Rheinland und TÜV Nord auch noch der TÜV Süd als Gutachter hinzugezogen, um zu klären, wie es zum Versagen eines der drei Druckluftzylinder kam. Mit ersten Ergebnissen rechnet man Anfang Oktober. Wegen der langwierigen Ersatzteilbeschaffung kann der Probebetrieb ohnehin erst Ende des Jahres wieder aufgenommen werden.

Die Unfälle vom Juli und September haben laut Hering "verschiedene Ursachen, aber die gleiche Fehlerquelle" - die Programmierung im Softwaresystem. Auch ohne Achterbahn müssen die Kunden des "Ring Werk" seit dem Wochenende den vollen Eintrittspreis von 19,50 Euro bezahlen. Dafür gibt es pro gekaufter Eintrittskarte ein Gratisticket für einen erneuten Besuch.

Auch das wurde in der Ausschussitzung bekannt: Seit Beginn des Ausbauprojekts "Nürburgring 2009" hat sich der Personalwechsel in der Ring GmbH beschleunigt. Allein in diesem Jahr gab es durch Fluktuation 47 Wechsel bei insgesamt 147 Beschäftigten, in den Vorjahren 38 und 37. Gekündigt wurde im laufenden Jahr bisher acht Mitarbeitern, in den drei Vorjahren zwischen 12 und 15.

Vier der ausgeschiedenen Mitarbeiter sind nach wie vor als Berater für den Ring tätig. Dafür flossen in den vergangenen drei Jahren Honorare von 1,54 Millionen Euro, davon allein 2009 eine gute halbe Million.