TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nürburgring launched coaster

Here is my thought process..... Top thrill dragster launched guest to 120 MPH and they end up 420 ft in the air just off of that speed. Kingda ka - 128 mph and guest end up 456 ft in the air. This turn around maneuver looks about half the scale of the top hats on these Intamin terra rocket coasters so I have to ask myself just how fast will guest be flying through this turn-around. My guess is pretty fast unless S&S does what they did on HSXLC which is break you as your going up which would really kill the ride possibly or defeat the point of the ride being all about speed. IMO

In other news the turn around maneuver looks great!

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a waste of speed to launch and then break right after. I am not as impressed as many of you seem to be. I do think the trains look sweet but other than that I am just not that interested. For those of you that live close to this coaster, I hope its performance exceeds my expectations.

^ I agree!!! That's unfortunate....if you going to build a ride which is about a certain feature in this case speed... then design your ride so embellish this feature. Launch to 130 then slowed down seconds after .... whats the point.... Wooden coasters do a better job at maintaining their speed then it seems this ride will... I'll have to wait and see... but depending on the size of the turn around which doesn't seem more than 200ft, 85 mph or so would be a suitable speed in which to travel. dropping from 130 - 85/90 mph is roughly 40 - 50 mph decrease in speed right after the launch. This is the definition of a gimmick. The ride was only concerned about breaking the 128 mph barrier .... soon as it does it gives up and breaks you. I place TTD and KK in the same category ... a gimmick which was only concerned with breaking the height and speed record then breaking you. S&S with HSXLC was all about the fastest launch and 90 degree drop then gave up. At least B&M with the Dive coaster gave a full and complete layout. Some can argue a gimmick but it offers more of a complete package. I'll reserve further judgment until it opens and reviews flow in

You have to remember this isn't a coaster just for a coaster sake like at an amusement park. The whole point of this ride is to simulate a F1 race car taking off (which also slow down immediately). Personally I've never seen a race car go up 400+ feet after they take off down the speedway. I also seem to remember reading or hearing that S&S pretty much convinced them to add that turnaround so it would a little more fun (hearsay, all of it!) and do a little more then just launch-brake-return which was a big complaint from most of the enthusiasts (go back and read through this thread) seriously, go look at page 9 for an early layout, sans fun twisty turnaround.

I heard it won't open until mid-August. I'm trying to find a reliable source.

I have to say their marketing already suuuuucks.

The GP has never heard of this ride. No one knows when it's going to open. Maybe the plan was to build "Germany's best kept secret"?

Way to go folks... We all heard about KDK or TTD in the news back then, but nothing about ring racer.

PS. On their website Ring werk it says the whole thing will open on August 15th...

Till now no one knows somthing about the test rides. In a report i just read that it had be tested before July the 9th, because there it should be opened (just the coaster, not the themepark!).

But i found some older photos on http://freizeitparkweb.de/cgi-bin/dcf/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=7039&forum=DCForumID4&viewmode=all which i want to show you:

Those unbanked uturns before the launch look just look wrong...as in "painful laterals" wrong.

I would agree if it had speed but I am pretty sure that the coaster just got dispatched and will not have a ton of speed. One question I have though is will there be themeing on that section or anything, because it looks rather bland right now and I don't know why S&S would do that.

In regards to the video, it looks slower than I had imagined. I mean with over 126 mph of speed I just feel it should bust coaster butt through there. But then again when you look at the little animation pov of it where it has a speedometer in the bottom right, they show the speed dropping significantly and never recovering it. Even after the curves when it goes back into the building, the animation shows it with half of the speed. Does anyone know more about that? And does anyone know how I get my hands on the track driving atv?

I would agree if it had speed but I am pretty sure that the coaster just got dispatched and will not have a ton of speed.

I'm aware that those turns are right after dispatch but there is a slight drop before them. Anyone who's ridden a mouse knows it doesn't take much speed to produce heavy laterals on an unbanked turn.

I would agree if it had speed but I am pretty sure that the coaster just got dispatched and will not have a ton of speed.

I'm aware that those turns are right after dispatch but there is a slight drop before them. Anyone who's ridden a mouse knows it doesn't take much speed to produce heavy laterals on an unbanked turn.

And anyone who's ridden a coaster with a pre-lift that has an unbanked turn knows that they don't really produce many laterals. Turns on a wild mouse are taken much faster and have much tighter radii.

I can't wait to see a video of this thing launching, sounds like it should be incredibly intense.