TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

As far as the crazy synchronized mouse ears go, I've been waiting for someone to implement this idea for years! Can't wait for the detailed official trip report!

I'm giving serious consideration to picking up a pair when I'm out for the 1/2 marathon in Sept - they seem like a great idea. The potential in these sounds amazing - hope the execution is too!

I loved the new ride. Yes I did camp out starting at 3am. Yes, the ride broke down for 90min before we got on. It was still worth it. I did get to ride Matterhorn as well today. The new trains do not have any padding on them, so I felt that the ride was a bit harder on the back. The mountain looks really cleaned up now. The special effects and Yetis have not changed other than they too have been really cleaned up. The Yeti's roar is certainly a lot louder.

The South Californian mantra is too brag about everything they have.

And of course living in Staten Island, New York, who would be more capable of making that judgement than you?

Thank you for confirming my assessment, much appreciated.

Maybe they'll theme it to the next logical sequel ... Boats.

Pixar is making a spin off to Cars called "Planes" though. Here's a link.

Actually, Pixar is not involved.

As we reported last July, Disney is planning a Cars direct-to-DVD spinoff called Planes. Pixar won’t be involved in the spin-off and the film will be handled by DisneyToon Studios, whose previous movies include The Lion King 1 ½ and Bambi II.

Maybe they'll theme it to the next logical sequel ... Boats.

Pixar is making a spin off to Cars called "Planes" though. Here's a link.

Actually, Pixar is not involved.

As we reported last July, Disney is planning a Cars direct-to-DVD spinoff called Planes. Pixar won’t be involved in the spin-off and the film will be handled by DisneyToon Studios, whose previous movies include The Lion King 1 ½ and Bambi II.

I should probably read the article before I post it, My apologies..but still..Planes.

I loved the new ride. Yes I did camp out starting at 3am. Yes, the ride broke down for 90min before we got on. It was still worth it. I did get to ride Matterhorn as well today. The new trains do not have any padding on them, so I felt that the ride was a bit harder on the back. The mountain looks really cleaned up now. The special effects and Yetis have not changed other than they too have been really cleaned up. The Yeti's roar is certainly a lot louder.

Without the breakdown, how long do you think the wait would have been?

I'm really thinking about going to the park at the end of June.

I understand that a full queue is 3 hours. Today to queue spilled way out to Paradise Pier (5 hours plus) but this is opening weekend. Just get to the park before opening and head right to ride and I bet that you will not have to wait very long.

^ TSM doesn't have Fastpass at DCA.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant TSM at Disney Hollywood Studios. I remembered when it opened, it sold out of passes really early as well.

About an hour and a half after park opening.

Ok. So I decided to brave the crowds at DCA tonight after I got off work, despite the reports I'd heard during the day.

I decided to park over at Gardenwalk, and walk over. I figured it would a much easier route to the park, especially after hearing that the parking structure had closed at noon, due to reaching capacity. (Don't know if it reopened or not.)

Got to the park just a touch after 6pm. Walked straight in and met up with Erik Johnson (no relation). I remember looking down the new Buena Vista Street thinking "Wow. This is what DCA should have looked like opening day!" Even with the hoards of people, the trolley was running and the makeover really looks fantastic. We walked straight to RSR and the single rider line. The time was posted at 50 minutes. That's almost exactly what we waited, despite a 15 minute breakdown. The queue is really well organized, integrating all 3 lines (stand-by, FP and single-rider) very smoothly.

As for the ride: It's good. Very good. The first outdoor portion in nice and gives you a great view of the enormity of the project, as well as the incredible detail. In the dark ride portion, it lost a little something for me. You go by the scenes a little too fast (not only) to take it all in, but to get the gist of the story. Yes, I, and everyone else knows the story, but..., there is so much going on, that the scenes seem a little rushed.

On our ride, we went through Luigi's. The effect of the whitewall tires is cool. Then you see Doc Hudson and then race. To me, the race seemed almost anti-climatic. There really isn't a lot of speed there. Yeah, there's a tiny bit of airtime on a couple of hills, but because of those hills, the cars never really get going until after the final turn (into the dip under the bridge and the finish line). Overall, it is (for now) the huge attraction that this park needed.

Honestly, I would call it a "D" ticket attraction, with an "E" ticket budget. It just fell a little short on the major thrill factor for me. Especially when I would do a comparison to either TT, or JttCotE. I mean, TT does all that silly dark ride stuff, then bolts like a bat outta hell, hitting 67mph on a steeply banked track. Journey has the ear splitting thunder and lightning bolt, then Lava Monster and you get the hell away from him as fast as you can.

I would rate TT and RSR pretty even. The dark ride portion of TT is lame, as is the racing part of RSR.

Journey owns all!

As for the town of Radiator Springs itself: A-MA-ZING!!!! I would hazard a guess that it is the single most immersive themed land in any park anywhere. Granted, craploads of people didn't help. Then again, neither did 3 entrances to the area itself (from Bugsland, the main street, and Pacific Wharf). But seriously, you really are in Radiator Springs. It's immersive, impressive, and engulfing - all at the same time.

Anywho, that's my 2 cents worth.

JJ

I wish I could understand the thought process behind standing in line 7 hours for something that you will probably only wait 1-2 hours for later in the summer. But I guess enough people feel they have "bragging rights" to be able to be there on opening day? I dunno. I never "got" that whole "MUST BE FIRST AND RIDE BEFORE YOU" thing...

I'd rather wait a week and ride something 3 or 4 times in a 6 hour period rather than once.

I'm curious to know what the line is like on the 2nd or even 3rd day the ride is open. Seriously if it's a third or half.... Why would anyone want to wait 7 hours on one day when they could wait 1/2 that the next?

--Robb "I don't get people sometimes..." Alvey

As much fun as it would've been fun to go see such a large scale project unveiled on opening day, I was scared of by our experience with one more Disney Day. Plus, I would never wait 6 hours for an attraction. That being said we are heading to the park on Monday hoping for the best and planning for the worst. And at this point from the sounds of things we are going to grateful there's a single rider line.

Anyone have recommendations on any of the Carsland food items you may have sampled through previews or today's craziness? Or should I still plan on pigging out at Carthay?

Also just saw a clip of the Goofy conducting the Fountains show, reminiscent of the old "how to" cartoons they used to do. Looks like a cute fun thing to see while at the park or while waiting for rides around the water, and apparently there are different versions. Did anyone bother seeing this?

Whether or not the attraction is god's gift or just decent, here's hoping the addition remains unique to California. Its about time we see some more diversity in large scale attractions across the globe, especially for DCA.

I thought single rider no longer available by the time the stand-by line was a 6+ hour wait.

I don't understand the connection. If there are more people in the stand by line, that doesn't mean there will be a smaller, lesser need for single riders.

I thought single rider no longer available by the time the stand-by line was a 6+ hour wait.

I don't understand the connection. If there are more people in the stand by line, that doesn't mean there will be a smaller, lesser need for single riders.

I actually made a small typo, an my previous post should have read: "I thought single rider was no longer available by the time the stand-by line was a 6+ hour wait." Nonetheless, I was mainly addressing Shawn after he mentioned how he and his friends are visiting the park on Monday and that they were grateful for the single rider line and being able to skip the terrifying 6 hour wait.

Whether or not the attraction is god's gift or just decent, here's hoping the addition remains unique to California. Its about time we see some more diversity in large scale attractions across the globe, especially for DCA.

Oh, god... Here we go again....

--Robb "Read my rant a few pages back..." Alvey