TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Largest Re-located Coaster??

With all these relocated coasters lately. I was just curious if anybody knows of a larger coaster to have been relocated.

Usually it is arrow corkscrews, Vekoma Boomerangs and SLC's and a few Schwarzkopf's. It seems like every time a Large coaster was to be re-located in the USA it was scraped (Drachen Fire & Shockwave).

Are there any larger coasters maybe overseas that I am not thinking of?

JEFF

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post.

It's the largest B&M to be relocated, although I still think moving the Batman from Japan to Louisiana to Texas is one of the 'biggest relocations'!

If the Deja Vu's start getting moved they will be the 'tallest' relocation.

Yeah, cool topic!

Eh Canyon Blaster is tiny. It's a family coaster, under 60 feet tall. Also, it never operated at Old Indiana. Old Indiana was closed when Opryland's rides were stored there, and only a couple of the coasters stored there ever operated again (Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is another).

As far as large relocated rides, both of the Vekoma Six Flags Ninjas were relocated from other parks. They aren't that big, but for relocated coasters I guess they are.

According to RCDB, the Georgia one is over 120' tall, so I guess that's the tallest relocated coaster I can think of.

Eh Canyon Blaster is tiny. It's a family coaster, under 60 feet tall. Also, it never operated at Old Indiana. Old Indiana was closed when Opryland's rides were stored there, and only a couple of the coasters stored there ever operated again (Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is another).

As far as large relocated rides, both of the Vekoma Six Flags Ninjas were relocated from other parks. They aren't that big, but for relocated coasters I guess they are.

According to RCDB, the Georgia one is over 120' tall, so I guess that's the tallest relocated coaster I can think of.

Kong didn't go through Old Indiana, it just went straight to Discovery Kingdom.

The Schwartzkopf shuttle loops beat it in height, They are 137' 10".

To me, nothing's more impressive than what it takes to "relocate" Eurostar consistently.

Olympia Looping is taller, longer, faster, and it has more inversions than Eurostar. Right now it's the 64th longest coaster in the world, and only Dominator will beat it in length among rides that have been moved once it is relocated.

Olympia Looping wins!

The largest I can think of off the top of my head is Arkansas Twister.

I was thinking the same thing, for overall size is in amount moved would be any woodie that has been relocated because of the amount of lumber involved. Arkansas Twister is probably the largest that has been moved. However there may be ones from earlier times that most of us dont know about.

Dominator seems to be the largest steel coaster moved at least in the US.

Is moving wood even possible? I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort

The Phoenix at Knoebels was relocated. So I believe it is definitely worth the effort for a ride like that.

I think it's pretty safe to say though that most "relocated" woodies really end up being "rebuilt" woodies.

Phoenix, Starliner, Wild One, Ark Twister, Meteor, etc, all used "some" wood from the original ride, but really what they bought were the trains, the mechanical parts (chain lift, brake systems, etc) and the ride plans.

So much new wood always ends up being put in place that they really aren't "relocated."

Meteor and Starliner are two recent examples of what I'm talking about.

--Robb

This is a very interesting topic, I have a couple of notable entries from the land downunder.

We had a 131' arrow custom looper called Big Dipper in Sydney that was relocated over 1000km north to Dreamworld and is now called Cyclone, would this be the biggest coaster relocated until they actually move Dominator.

In terms of well travelled coasters, we had a 1st gen Vekoma Boomerang at the 1988 World Expo in Brisbane, that was relocated south to Sydney, and the it was relocated to Visionland in Alabama, that coaster has clocked up some serious miles.

Has anyone ridden a "Euro-Star" traveling coaster? It was mentioned in one of the earlier posts, and I'm wondering if they are even a good ride.

I rode it at Oktoberfest a few years ago, and it wasn't good. It is very rough with very tight turns...I could barely tell what was going on most of the time and just knew it was about to fall apart at any minute.

Olympia Looping on the other hand is one of my favorite coasters...it was amazing. And some indoor spinning coaster called Starworld was pretty cool too.