TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Getting away with a POV...

TwistedTrack

I know this has been talked about with Disney not having a strict camera policy. I have one question though. What is the policy for Rock n Roller Coaster? I have heard from people you can't bring a camera on that ride, and from other people I have talked to they said you can bring it on. I just want a final answer to this.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^If you were to just read my post right at the top of the page you might notice that I said Disney does not have a strict camera policy. They allow cameras on most of their rides, even most of their roller coasters. I just wasn't sure about Rock n Roller Coaster's policy.

BTW thanks XII for the feedback.

It was a drug joke, grow a sense of humor.

Both of you need to chill out. Your posts aren't adding anything worthwhile to the converstaion, and coastercrazed49's are coming off as bitchy.

Disney does not allow POV's on RnRC. End of story.

Anything you see on Youtube was probably taken secretly. You can try, but enjoy the rest of your stay in DHS' parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand all this craziness with the POVs. I mean, it's so much

different than the actual ride that it's really not worth it seeing POVs. When i

watch a POV only video, I just pass it. What I really love is to watch, off ride

videos with bits of POV. This way I have a much better picture of the ride.

Just like the new dvd "Roller Coasters in the raw" which i think is absolutely

awesome not only because you hear the screaming and the park's natural

sounds, but because apart from POV there are lots of offride footage.

^ Couldn't agree more. POV's are great because you need them to get a full idea of the ride. They can't put perspective on feeling though, a few seconds drop on a POV looks kind of dull when the real drop is breathtaking for all you know. Offride footage definately gives a sense of scale to the ride. I do not prefer On or Offride footage but both together make an interesting and fun video.

• 4 weeks later...

Do parks still mount camera's on the front of coasters during Media Days? That is how I did a whole lot (and by that I mean 95%) of my POV shots. No offense to people but I've never been much for the POV shot, mostly because if it's video it's like watching the Blair Witch Project, and if it is a still image I normally can only make out a blurry shot of track that really doesn't tell me much anyway. Fact of the matter is, most people kind of suck at getting POV shots.

Many years ago I did a coaster show for the Discovery Channel and was ridding Ninja using a lipstick camera to capture the ride. Even with that my hand was much more shaky then I ever would have ever realized. Big kudos to Robb, not exactly sure how you do it but you have a very steady hand!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Asking the ride operators upfront is just stupid. They are usually really busy trying to get everyone through as quickly as possible. You will most likely get a big NO for an answer. Its much smarter to contact park management or somebody of higher authority that a ride operator, as they will most likely give you a better answer. I have found that on slow days, really slow days, where there is almost nobody in the park, they sometimes let you bring it on. This is still rare to find.

Most POVs are completely unnecessary. This website has POVs for alot of roller coasters and if they dont, chances are somebody on youtube does. If they don't then even the park website does. If you are just doing it to get the thrill of breaking the rules, then do it elswhere, and places that will not harm people.

^Thanks for adding your expertise to the thread. Robb and Elissa (and all the others) obviously know nothing about filming on rides.

It is a ride operators job to know the safety policies of their ride. It shouldn't take them anymore than a couple of seconds to answer your question. Sure it is great if a manager is available, or someone from the park responds to your inquiry prior to your visit...but if all else fails, read the attractions warning signs (note that if it says no loose articles, strap or not, that means your camera is not allowed) or ask a ride operator if the signs aren't clear.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a POV of the Yankee Cannonball with permission once. At first the ride operator did not let me but after I showed him how I used duct tape to attach the camera to my hand he let me film it.

The only thing I dont understand about filming POV's is why some parks dont let you take cameras on dark rides.

The only thing I dont understand about filming POV's is why some parks dont let you take cameras on dark rides.

It gives people ideas, and encourages on ride filming to people who don’t know better. If someone of low cranial capacity sees you take a camera on a five MPH dark ride that might give them the idea that it's ok to take a camera on an 80 mph coaster, especially if they didn't see you ask the operator.

Basically, if a park doesn’t want cameras on rides, they mean every ride that's not a Ferris wheel or a miniature railroad. They don't want to encourage lead by example.

It kills the atmosphere. That's why the Ghost Host on the Haunted Mansion tells you, "No flash pictures, please."

I did take some flash pictures on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at DL when I was kid (with a Kodak Instamatic camera). There were pipes and conduits, all painted black, running up and down the walls (you can't see them otherwise). That was back in the early 1970s.