TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Coasters?

Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood. Everything about this coaster is amazing from start to finish.

I had really high expectations for this ride and it absolutely exceeded all of them. I want to get back to KW mostly just to marathon PR. I wouldn't say its underrated though, seems a lot of people rank it really highly.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add Powder Keg @ SDC to my list. For something that is marketed as a "family coaster" this ride sure packs a nice punch. The launch is awesome, there is some nice air on the first drop, the g-forces are nice throughout the rest of the ride. The second drop provides some nice air in the back row, and the last turn is unique. I really think that Powder Keg is a VERY underrated coaster.

I agree with this completely. I think S&S should really push more Powder Keg-style rides, as I'd love to see them at more parks.

These rides seem to be a pretty big hit at parks overseas in China; never understood why they didn't take off here on this side of the pond.

If I had to take a guess, Hypersonic XLC turned Cedar Fair off of air powered launch coasters. I know Powder Keg isn't a ThrustAir, but it's still an air launched coaster.

I feel it's a case of "If it aint broke, don't fix it." There's nothing wrong with LIM/LSM launches.

Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood. Everything about this coaster is amazing from start to finish.

I had really high expectations for this ride and it absolutely exceeded all of them. I want to get back to KW mostly just to marathon PR. I wouldn't say its underrated though, seems a lot of people rank it really highly.

That double down near the end... *drool*

My list of underrated coasters in my opinion

. Viper (Darien Lake)

. Ride of Steel (Darien Lake)

. Gemini (Cedar Point)

. Maverick (Cedar Point)

. Thunderbolt (Kennywood)

. Blue Streak (Cedar Point)

. Silver Comet (Martin's Fantasy Island)

. Jackrabbit (Seabreeze)

. Whirlwind (Seabreeze)

. Extermintor (Kennywood)

. Drachen Fire (Busch Gardens Williamsbug; even though I never rode it, still I think it kind of an underrated coaster because if its sad sad fate )

I'm only 16 but I think superman ant six flags great adventure is under rated because all ur body weight is on the restraint and in ur head ur like if this thing fails I'm dead and It just meanders around the track the only good part is the Pretzel loop sorry for spelling I'm 16 with not good typing

I've made a list. Which one of these coasters do you guys think is the most underrated?

-Superman: Ultimate Flight clones

-Exterminator

-White Lightning

-Tremors

-Manta (SeaWorld San Diego)

-Flight of Fear clones

-Viper (SFGAm)

-Wild One

-Colossus The Fire Dragon

-Zippin Pippin

Although, I never rode any of these coasters, but I think that cloned coasters are underrated because they are mass produced and can be found at many parks world, more specifically the "Boomerang" models.

I've made a list. Which one of these coasters do you guys think is the most underrated?

-Superman: Ultimate Flight clones

-Exterminator

-White Lightning

-Tremors

-Manta (SeaWorld San Diego)

-Flight of Fear clones

-Viper (SFGAm)

-Wild One

-Colossus The Fire Dragon

-Zippin Pippin

First of all, the Superman: Ultimate Flight Clones are nowhere near underrated. Most underwhelming, maybe

I would say out of what you listed, Manta (SWSD) wins, because a lot of people expect it to be something it isn't. People look at Orlando's Manta, and then feel ripped off from the start because San Diego got a family coaster instead of something more intimidating.

I think a lot of parks are missing something like San Diego's manta. Pretty much everyone has a great time on it, young or old.

I'm gonna say "Woodstock Express" at Kings Dominon.

it's a Junior coaster, located in Camp Snoopy. . so doesn't seem to get much respect, but we thought it was was close to the top of the coasters at KD, and EASILY the best woodie there.

not only do those trains fly down the track, but also a few unexpected pops of air-time.

we loved it.

it's a Junior coaster, located in Camp Snoopy. . so doesn't seem to get much respect, but we thought it was was close to the top of the coasters at KD, and EASILY the best woodie there.

not only do those trains fly down the track, but also a few unexpected pops of air-time.

we loved it.

we loved it.

Completely agree with this, was very surprised when I went on it this summer.

I would say out of what you listed, Manta (SWSD) wins, because a lot of people expect it to be something it isn't. People look at Orlando's Manta, and then feel ripped off from the start because San Diego got a family coaster instead of something more intimidating.

I think a lot of parks are missing something like San Diego's manta. Pretty much everyone has a great time on it, young or old.

San Diego's Manta is a great ride. I'd rather ride it than Orlando's Manta (and I like that one, too).

As for Woodstock Express at KD, well, it's a good wooden coaster for kids and is fine for what it is.

Going along with the family coaster trend, the Zierer "Tivoli Large" coasters (Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train, Catwoman's Whip, et al) are insanely fun, especially near the back of the train.

Going along with the family coaster trend, the Zierer "Tivoli Large" coasters (Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train, Catwoman's Whip, et al) are insanely fun, especially near the back of the train.

Agreed! I was just at BGT and I rode Air grover in the back. The ride's already pretty fast without being in the back... Video for reference:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

^I LOVE those Tivoli coasters! I agree

I would say Mind Bender at SFOG. Sure, it's still popular, but I'm surprised it doesn't rate higher. Perhaps I'm bias (it hasn't left my #1 steel spot since I first rode it in 1990), but it's just so perfect. Great round-ish loops, strong (real) air time, lateral forces - all delivered with those flat old plastic seats that let you slide around and crush your riding partner.

Seems it's rising in the coaster lists. I guess it takes a long time for people to get over height/speed statistics

Yankee Cannonball- Canobie Lake Park

Sure it's not the most thrilling coaster, but it's extremely fun! In the back of the train you get ejector on a couple hills. It's cool how it stretches into the parking lot. Great classic coaster.

Skull Mountain: Six Flags Great Adventure

I went on this ride expecting the most boring experience ever. I was dead wrong. I sat in the back and got MASSIVE ejector air on the first drop. This ride is crazy.

Gatekeeper- Cedar Point.

Before I go on, let me just mention I hate B&M. They make forceless coasters with no entertainment (the recent ones). But dang did Gatekeeper come through! It was extremely fun. The hang time on the first drop was crazy. The airtime hill had decent floater. I grayed out after the first drop. The key elements were so fun! Overall, this is my most underrated coaster besides...

MAGNUM XL 200: CEDAR POINT

Oh. My. God. This ride is my #1 coaster. This ride is extremely intense with violent, jerky movements. The ending airtime is the best airtime I've ever experienced. If only they got new restraints, this ride would be world class. Like I'm talking top 10.

Dragon Challenge (Chinese Fireball). I went to Florida expecting this coaster to be pretty average compared to the other B&M Inverts I rode, and I didn't expect a huge difference between the two sides of the coaster. I actually found Chinese Fireball to have insane pacing (the coaster never let's up!), and to have a great flow of elements! The immelman/helix thingy before the "dueling" loops was insane (my favorite inversion on any B&M). Here's how my B&M Inverts rank for me now!

1. Dragon Challenge (Red)

2. Montu

3. Alpengeist

4. Raptor

5. Afterburn

6. Dragon Challenge (Blue)

7. Flight Deck

8. Batman The Ride

9. Silver Bullet

10. Great Bear

I have some more:

-I love both Coaster at Playland and Tremors/Timber Terror at Silverwood. They are amazing wood coasters (Especially Coaster which I rank #6), and I think most who have ridden would agree, so perhaps they're just under-ridden. Either way PUT THESE PARKS ON YOUR LIST!

-The Red side of American Eagle is very very good! (I rank it at #12) This is a coaster I've seen bashed on here so many times, but it very much exceeded my expectations last month. A few surprising moments of airtime across the layout.

-Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit! Although it was a temperamental coaster in terms of smoothness, I found the front row to be amazing! The front had the most airtime going up into the brake runs and non-inverting loop. Overall, it was a very enjoyable coaster (My #20 steel) with a good amount of airtime (If you rode in the front row...). I rank it among Xcelerator and Apollo's Chariot for a comparison.

-Honorable mention for Wildfire at SDC! I loved the pacing on this coaster, great airtime on the first drop and going up into the brakes! (I liked it more than Kumba, Kraken, Incredible Hulk, and Medusa. The only standard looping B&M I like more is Superman Krypton... and not by much!

I'm adding Backlot Stunt Coaster to my list of underrated coasters. For a "family" coaster this ride packs a punch. The launch is nice, but the upwards turns after the launch provide some really nice g-forces. The layout is fun. The slight theming is nice. . . We were greatly surprised by this coaster on our previous visit to Kings Island. It turned out to be one of our favorites in the park.

we loved it.

not sure why it's funny, but I'm being honest. . we LOVED it.

IMG_1767.thumb.JPG.768cf7aa19baa7230a76eb3bb247305a.JPG