TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

^^B&M calls it a megacoaster, which is just the coaster type. It has nothing to do with the height of it. Their megacoasters can be of any height. The smallest is Hollywood Dream and the largest now is Leviathan. Other people use megacoaster to describe 200-299 foot coasters, but B&M uses it to describe the ride type instead.

I'm super excited to see this thing testing hopefully next month. This and Shambhala appear to be potentially awesome rides. I've liked the three B&M megacoasters I've been on quite a bit, so hopefully I will get the opportunity to ride this sometime in the near future.

Wasn't 'Giga Coaster' a term coined by Intamin anyway? And enthusiasts just use it to describe the other two? Does/did Morgan have an official category for SD2k, or did everybody just decide to call it a giga coaster.

Either way, Leviathan is really tall, really big and looks really fun!

^Hyper, giga, and strata are all terms coined by Cedar Point's marketing team, because they were the first to break each of those barriers will full-circuit coasters. The terms stuck, so that's just what we call them. Superman at SFA is an "Intamin Megacoaster" according to the trains, and all the B&M hypers are "B&M Megacoasters" as well.

This might be the deadly "Intimidator" trims where it drastically slows the train down.

No, these are single trim brakes that can grab the train if it's going in excess of the speed range it's designed to stay within. Is this really so hard to understand...?

Did a bit of research and it appears that Leviathan is not a giga coaster...its a hyper....according to what B&M has called it.

The original construction plans for Leviathan clearly stated "Giga Coaster" on them (not to mention many of the tags on different materials used). Intamin/Cedar Point may have been the first to use the term, however it's generally accepted that any roller coaster over 300 feet is a "Giga" coaster.

It's similar to how a "Strata" coaster is generally accepted as any roller coaster over 400 feet. But if you look at the name given to that coaster type by Intamin, they're in the group "Accelerator Coasters".

B&M calls one of their designs a "Hyper" coaster. Intamin calls that same height category "Mega" coasters. So does that mean Intamin hasn't built any hyper coasters?

Really, this is just semantics. Sure individual companies will call their designs different things however, the general coaster community calls coasters over 200ft "hypers", over 300ft "gigas" and over 400ft "stratas".

Really, this is just semantics. Sure individual companies will call their designs different things however, the general coaster community calls coasters over 200ft "hypers", over 300ft "gigas" and over 400ft "stratas".

To me, that is all that matters. Regardless of origin, they are widely used and understood terms.

I will add, though, that I usually group mini-hypers in with hypers, and I may exclude some 200-299' rides from the hyper category if they're not in the style of a traditional hyper.

and seriously, does it really matter what its called. Doesnt it really matter how it rides, and seeing as how the trains are just getting delivered and it hasnt made a first run we can only guess on that, but no mater what its a pretty beast and one we should all be excited to experience eventually.

I can't wait to see how Cedar Fair themes this to go with the medieval theme of the area. Behemoth obviously was a generic themed ride with a few modern twists (the sign, station, ect.), but in my opinion it fit the area that it is in well. Cedar Fair suprsingly did a nice job on the Intimidator areas... so let's hope this turns out to be good too!

They have not yet announced the details about the sign/entry plaza. It will look amazing when it's done though! The station area is being themed in a similar fashion to the other coaster stations in the Med area. Cyber Central arcade is also getting a make-over to match the Medieval theme once again.

That station is looking really sharp! I too am looking forward to seeing what they do with the entry plaza.

The coaster itself still looks amazing and is a definite must-ride for me. The only coaster I'm more excited to ride is Skyrush at Hershey. I'm hoping that Leviathan delivers the kind of forces that it looks like it will.

Is the station supposed to be themed to something special? Or will it just be a building?

The stations for the coasters in Medieval Faire have some medieval elements so they're building Leviathan's station to fit in. The hanging lantern light fixtures and wooden structure (or at least the appearance) are some of the nice features to the stations. Leviathan might be the best with a new shingle roof since some of the older coasters (and the park entrance) had their roofs replaced with metal.

So, I will be heading up to Canada's Wonderland at the end of April to participate in the first ride charity auction for Leviathan on April 27, 2012. I will have one extra to ticket to the park for that evening. This ticket does not include a "first" ride on Leviathan, but, the park will be open on the evening of April 27th for winning auction bidders and their friends to enjoy. I would imagine that the park will also be open to the public on that night, but I am not sure. The park's website does not list that day as a regular operating day. If anyone is interested in using this ticket, please let me know. I hate to see it go to waste! Oh yeah, it's free!

-Jason

I can't wait to see how Cedar Fair themes this to go with the medieval theme of the area. Behemoth obviously was themed after Goliath at SFMM, SFOG, and La Ronde, but in my opinion it fit the area that it is in well. Cedar Fair suprsingly did a nice job on the Intimidator areas... so let's hope this turns out to be good too!

Fixed